SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
craig_hs

Partial Home Remodel to Expand Kitchen - Layout Ideas Please!

Craig HS
9 months ago
last modified: 9 months ago

Hello,

First time caller, love these discussions. Now I have something to ask...

We have a single story home and our kitchen is just too small for us now. We bought the home in 2018 knowing that it would likely need work in the future, but 2 kids later and the time is now. It was remodeled before we bought it and we could play baseball in our bedroom, but can't really cook dinner effectively.

Our existing kitchen is an asymmetrical u-shape design - 9ft wide x 15ft long (9ft on the short wall). There is a bedroom behind the wall with the refrigerator that we are planning to move to expand the available kitchen space to roughly 22ft x 12ft.

I've been playing around in the Ikea kitchen planner as it was the best free tool I could find and learn to use quickly.

Looking for some general layout help and opinions - don't hold back! Thanks in advance.

Current Floorplan w/ changes that affect kitchen space:

Existing Kitchen 1:

Existing Kitchen 2:

New layout I've got in mind:

Notes:

• We like the idea of the walk-in pantry and it will disguise the necessary bump out for the bedroom closet.
  • We want to add as much light as we can and are ok limiting upper cabinets in favor of windows
  • I've modeled the island with 42" walkways on all sides (I know this is a hot topic) so no real room for seating there, more for prep.
  • Maintain the peninsula roughly where it is now for seating.
  • Cooktop would be a range in reality.
  • Door to pantry would be a pocket door.

Comments (10)