SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julieste

I did the research for a full depth French door fridge--what I learned

julieste
10 months ago

My not quite 5 year old, top of the LG line fridge just failed--even replacing the compressor didn't fix it, and it didn't last another week after getting the new compressor. I already knew to stay away from Samsung, and now LG was added to my "don't even look at the brand" list. I needed a replacement that would fit a cutout for a 36" wide, standard depth fridge, and I didn't have the height for the new fancier fridges that require at least 72". The LG fridge that's being replaced is a french door that has all the bells and whistles, but I decided that I would be willing to forego some of those items if I could get a durable and reliable fridge.

I spend more hours than I care to admit online reading all sorts of info about fridges, reading buyers' reviews of lots of different fridges, and reading professional reviews from places like the Wirecutter and Reviewed. I also made lots of in-person visits to local independent stores, the big box stores, and outlet stores. I personally looked at a lot of fridges as I continued to narrow my choices down.

The Wirecutter now focuses on brand dependability overall rather than specific models, and I think this is a good approach. First of all, there is no brand/model without bad reviews and problems. The guy at the Best Buy outlet store (who sees all of the rejects/returns they get) said quality has gotten worse since the pandemic, and there is a lot of slipshod work. Speaking of the pandemic, there is still an appliance shortage due to that. Some of the models I might have considered won't be available for 3 months.

Model numbers are also continuously changing slightly. Today I called Kitchenaid to ask what the difference is between 2 models that seem basically identical to me. Their rep told me that they are exactly the same model except for the interior color of trim, so they changed the model number when the one with the new trim color was released two years after the other.

This is what I gleaned about the fridges of average consumer brands from my research, but what you hear might be different:

Samsung and LG have bad reliability, and some stores won't even carry the brands because many tech people won't work on them for warranty or other repairs. Getting parts in a timely manner can also be a huge problem. One salesguy told me that these 2 brands typically are at the forefront of introducing new features, and that can be one reason for all of the service issues. When you introduce new things, often they weren't quite ready for the market yet.

Because of their reputations for compressor failure and other problems, these 2 brands have the longest sealed system and compressor warrantees--10 years.

The Wirecutter says Frigidaire typically has lower customer satisfaction than other brands.

Several salespeople told me they own Café fridges because they are sturdy and attractive with nice features. GE is also the only major brand that has its own dedicated repairmen. GE, also the manufacturer of GE Profile and Café, gets mixed reviews on reliability. These brands were sold to Haier, a Chinese manufacturer, several years ago. Some sources say these fridges are quite reliable, and others question their reliability. I was also told that some people don't recommend them right now because many make knocking noises, and when service is called, purchasers are told that this is normal. Profile and Café are basically the same carcass with differing fit and finish; they are also better quality than standard GE models.

Whirlpool, Kitchen Aid and Jenn Aire (in order from more basic brand to more upscale) are all the same manufacturer. They are quite reliable brands, but you will get more mileage out of their higher end lines than the Whirlpool. Many of these are manufactured in the US.

Bosch is more of a brand that is between the standard consumer fridges (the ones I looked at) and the luxury models (the ones I didn't look at.) Cafe, Profile, Jennair and KA would also be close to Bosch in contention for more upscale type appliances that don't cost a small fortune like some of the more luxury and niche brands.

We all have our own priorities, need, space, budget, and desires when shopping for a fridge. I wanted a dependable fridge that is somewhat more upscale without being hugely expensive, so after learning about the various brands, I most seriously looked at Café, Profile, Kitchen Aid and Bosch models. I ended up buying a Bosch 500 model which is the one that will fit as a replacement in the more standard openings. We'll see how it performs.....

Comments (16)