SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deannatoby

Rethinking small plants from online vendors like BlueStone

I have ordered very very rarely from online vendors when I am in love with a plant that I cannot get elsewhere. I always felt like paying those prices for such small plants was a stab in the heart.

Now I’m rethinking that and seeing it as a bonus.

One thing I love about wintersowing is how easy it is to plant small seedlings, and how very very healthy their root systems develop when they have never been confined to a small pot. When I have had to transplant something wintersown, I am always amazed at how the root system really shoots far out and down. My WS plants handle drought very well, and I suppose it is because their root systems are able to squeeze water out of a much larger area of soil. To illustrate, a Merleau Blue Salvia grown from seed:

I had to buy some potted plants this year. I HATE HATE HATE breaking up all those rootbound things, especially when they are cobwebby roots that just flat out break. As for the most robust roots, I can unwind them, but then who wants to dig a hole with channels going out one to two feet for long roots that were freed up from the pot?

Bluestone is more expensive than local places (one hardware store sells a limited selection for $7.50 in pots which I think are smaller than #1 but still robust) but I can get so much more variety and they are SO EASY to plant! Bluestone’s customer service is excellent, too. Maybe paying more for a plant that is going to take 1/4 (or less) time to put in the ground and will develop healthier roots is actually a bargain.

I’d love to hear some thoughts on this.

Comments (12)