SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
silverkelt

Best online seed vendors?

silverkelt
16 years ago

I was scrolling through baker creeks online catalog and it got me to wondering who else is out there. I know about tomatoe fest and ronniger potatoes as well. Where does everyone shop here?

Silverkelt

Comments (28)

• highalttransplant
    16 years ago

Silverkelt,

I love threads like this one, because it's how I have found all of my seed sources.

The ones I have ordered from this year are Pinetree (my favorite), Diane's Seeds, Heirloom Acres Seeds, Seed Savers, Stark Bro's, and a few things from Valueseeds.

Next time I plan to order from Fedco, but I got their catalog after I had already placed all of my orders. They had almost everything (except some of the peppers and tomatoes on my list) that I had ordered from the other places, and their prices are very reasonable.

I also received catalogs for Stokes, Johnny's, Totally Tomatoes, Territorial, and Sand Hill Preservation, but I haven't ordered from any of them yet. Maybe someone else will jump in to give feedback on some of them.

Sigh.... so many choices, so few gardening dollars.

Happy shopping,
    Bonnie

• digdirt2
    16 years ago

Hi - a search will find you all kinds of "where to buy seeds" discussions. I have linked one of the recent ones below for you. You'll also find direct links to many vendors at the Marketplace here at GW and there is an entire forum devoted to evaluating gardening vendors with lots of discussions about seed vendors - good and bad - with links to vendor sites too.

Personally I use Lowe's, Home Depot, Dollar General, Walmart, Harris Seeds, Park's, Totally Tomatoes, Tomato Growers Supply, Thompson & Morgan, Vessey's, Gurney's, Johnny's, Territorial, Pinetree, Kitchen Garden, Victory, etc. not to mention all the exchanges and trade sources here.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Where to buy seeds... discussion

• Related Discussions

Best online seed sites?

Q

Comments (7)
    I am pretty sure the OP is looking for Tall Fescue as he has another thread on the site. I bought seed from the Hogan Company, they have a very good list of cultivars for TF, most of them fairly new. FM Brown and Sons sells newer ones as well, but I think they deal only in 50 lb. bags. Pawnee Buttes seeds is good. In a way you should choose what culitvars you want and then find them online. Use the NTEP trials to find what TF performs best in your area. (I am in CT and I used Faith, Cochise IV, and Firecracker LS).
    ...See More

Best online place to order seeds?

Q

Comments (26)
    I just got a catalog from a place called Abundant Life Seeds. A brief look at the catalog told me it is a sister company to Territorial, and had lots of their inventory wiped out in a fire, and are finally starting to get back up to speed. What caught my eye, though, was that they actually encourage and give tips for saving your own seed! I thought that was really unusual for a seed company - after all, if we save our own seed, we won't be buying more. I thought this was a great outlook/attitude for this company - they also mention that the fire had an effect on this outlook. Can't recommend the company yet as I haven't tried them, but thought I'd pass this along because I found it so interesting. :) Dee P.S. Thanks for the Crosman tip. I'll be checking them out!
    ...See More

If you grow bean seeds for online vendors...

Q

Comments (9)
    Dar They're probably sold here in local feed stores in the spring, too, but those stores are not very closeby. So I'd just thought I'd buy some when I buy the Sieva Limas if I can find a place that sells both. However, someone very nice has offered to send me some butterpeas that I can grow this year. I really need to pay attention to bean seed-saving since once you have the first crop, you can have others with seed saving. I've mostly been concerned about getting what I do have to germinate and grow, feeling secure that I know their growth patterns and temp needs. I did save a bunch of beans from a couple of years ago, a mix of wax poles and Fortex poles, but I just don't like wax beans so didn't plan to grow the combo. (If anyone wants them, just holler!) I assume that the Dixie speckled butterpeas can be spaced between 4- and 6-in, not 18" like I plan to space my Willowleaf pole limas?
    ...See More

Best online appliance vendor?

Q

Comments (4)
    Yes, Eurostoves has been fantastic through the last couple of years of my choosing a new range. I finally settled on Bluestar and Trevor and Karen have always been ready to help with with SENSIBLE and knowledgeable advice on the range and the appropriate ventilation equipment. Everything was delivered right on time with no problems. I am awaiting install of the equipment now. I would not hesitate to purchase any major appliance from them.
    ...See More
  • aclum
    16 years ago

Hi,

I've been getting nearly all of my tomato, pepper, and eggplant seeds from Tomato Growers Supply. I've also ordered a few seeds from Mariseeds and Tomatofest when TGS doesn't carry a variety I want to try.

For most other things I've used Johnny's but this year I also ordered (a ton of stuff LOL) from Pinetree. I was VERY impressed by their selection and prices.

I've been very satisfied by all of these companies.

I plan to order some herb plants from Tasteful Gardens this year - seems like they have a nice selection and they carry true French Tarragon that many other places carrying herbs don't seem to offer. I recommended them to my brother who was looking for heirloom tomato plants online. I think they have a nice selection for someone new to heirlooms and with only enough room for 6 or so plants.

Anne

• susandonb
    16 years ago

I bought from Burpee online for the first time this year. Also from Cook's Garden.

Susan in NC

• corin99
    16 years ago

I've used and liked Tomato Growers Supply, John Sheeper's Kitchen Garden and Johnny's (very fast delivery).

• tomakers
    16 years ago

I like Fedco. I have ordered from them and Pinetree for 3 years now and have had 0 problems. And the price is right.
    You should read about Fedco. It is owned by the employees if I remember correctly. They have dropped all lines of seed associated with GMO seeds.
    JMO,
    Tom
    I also order from Harris and a few others on occassion as well as the big box stores when the price is right. I bought a bunch of seed today at Ocean State Job Lot. Burpees's for 40% off.

• jimster
    16 years ago

Sandhill
    Tomato Growers
    Evergreen
    Victory

• rgress
    16 years ago

I buy most of my seeds in bulk at the local nursery. However, they donÂt carry Galactic Merlot Lettuce so I buy that from High Mowing Seeds. Based on my research, their prices are better than anyone else.

I also just purchased 1 year old asparagus plants from Jersey Asparagus Farms, Inc., www.jerseyasparagus.com. I called and ordered over the phone because I had some questions about the different varieties and the sales staff was very helpful and friendly to this home gardener.

Here is a link that might be useful: High Mowing Seeds

• sinfonian
    16 years ago

I'm partial to Territorial Seed Co. because they cater to gardeners west of the Cascade Mountains. That way what I buy there I know I can grow here. Also, their order takers are experienced gardeners and helped me out tremendously to find the right seeds for my family's tastes. Lastly, they're timely on their shipments and I like that they have shipping windows to choose from when ordering seedling potatoes and tomato plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinfonian's gardening adventure...

• oldroser
    16 years ago

Another vote for Fedco - hard to beat. And a vote for Johnny's - both are in Maine.

• growinghealth
    16 years ago

In the peak of my gardening days, I used to get close 60 different catalogs each year. I have over 200 catalogs in my personal collection. I worked in the seed business for a time, growing seeds commercially and selling to companies, so I've seen the 'other end' of their operation.

In general, to support small scale growers, genetic diversity and quality open pollinated varieties, I would recommend some of the smaller companies that take a stand on GMO's and are focused on genetic preservation. I can recommend:

-Synergy Seeds [small company selling own seeds, very focused]

-Peter's Seed and Research [run by Tim Peters in OR, plant visionary and genius. Awesome seeds, awesome work]

-Prairie Garden Seeds [run by Jim Ternier in Saskatchewan - most seeds grown by him and designed for like climates. VERY reasonable prices. Great personal service]

-Fedco [if you haven't seen the Fedco catalog, you don't know what you're missing! It's an experience all itself. A must have. Prices are unbelievable]

-Johnny's [solid company with many offerings]

-Territorial [great choice for PNW]

-Sand Hill Preservation [preservation work of Glenn Drowns - amazing variety]

-Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds [simply amazing variety and great company]

-Pinetree [great company in the NE]

[web search using name will pull up website and other contact info.]

Note: keep in mind I know many of the proprietors of these companies, so my recommendations are biased, but based on intense interaction over the years. [smile]

Good luck!

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    16 years ago

I have ordered from many of the previously listed companies. When it comes to a wider offering in the newer watermelons, cantaloupes, and a few other things, I like Twilley, Willhite, and Rupp. You do not have to order commercial quantites from them...especially the first two above.

• lee_71
    16 years ago

Tomato Growers Supply & Victory Seeds are some model
    companies to deal with.

Lee

• corapegia
    16 years ago

I order from Pine Tree (and have done so for maybe 15-20 years) and some things from Fedco, Johnny's, and even buy some seeds locally. Last year I ordered from Gourmet Seed International because I found some varieties the other companies no long carry. I just got their catalogue a couple days ago (I had ordered totally on line last year) and have had a wonderful time reading it. They carry 7 different varieties of FENNEL, 3 kinds of Romanesco, etc. One reason I garden is because I like to cook (and eat) and when I started many years ago I couldn't get Asian eggplant or bok choi etc locally. It's gotten better in the last 10 years but I still get better quality doing it myself.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gourmet Seed International

• trsinc
    16 years ago

I just received an order from the website below. I've never ordered from them before, but I am surprised at the value. The seed packets are twice the size of normal seed packets, and they are packed from bottom to top. It is not seeds just at the bottom. I ordered the following:

Broccoli Rabe (or cima di rapa) - 2.79 per packet containing 4,500 seeds

Arugula - 2.79 per packet containing 5,000 seeds

Dandelions (yeah, I know, but they taste good) - 2.95 per packet at 7,500 seeds

They carry what are considered italian vegies, but have some things that we consider normal here. Not a huge variety but I am really impressed with the amount of seed I received.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grow Italian

• davidinct
    16 years ago

trsinc...I had good luck with everything from Bill at Grow Italian. I grew mainly heirloom tomatoes last year and his Red Pear was better than the beefsteaks (Earl Faux, Marianna's Peace) I tried. Also a better keeper. Take a look:

Here is a link that might be useful:

• janevx
    16 years ago

I order most of my seeds from Scheepers Kitchen Garden Seeds, Seeds of Change, and SSE. I try to order a few things from Jung's and from Park.

• trsinc
    16 years ago

davidinct, that is one good looking tomato. I'm still too chicken to try toms from seed. I never have much luck with seeds in pots. I do so much better with direct planting.

• davidinct
    16 years ago

trinsc....yeah...you have a little warmer soil where you are. If I direct sow tomatoes, the crop won't be large here in CT. So its either start under lights or pay very high prices for the heirlooms I want. Lots of heirloom growers in TX do, however, start in pots. Might check the tomato forum. Timing is the key in Zone 8.

But back to the topic. My purchases so far this year:

Sandhill: 30 cultivars
    Johnny's: 12
    Value Seed: 18 (most because of price)
    Thompson & Morgan: 1 (testing them, last year they were out of the items I wanted most)

Another 12 from Tomato Grower's Supply and a few flowers from Parks I'll be done.

I would order from Baker's Creek were it not for the gratuitous injection of political asides into business. That's just me. Know many people who praise the service, like the quality and don't mind the little comments.

• Mary Bendel
    16 years ago

Has anybody ordered from NE Seeds before? I wanted some tuscan melon seeds for this year, and they were the only ones I found that had them. They mostly sell wholesale, but do sell to home gardeners. They took awhile to get here, but I was in no hurry - it was January!

I am in Oregon, so my favorite seed source is Territorial. I will always buy local if I can.

• davidinct
    16 years ago

marymb....yes. Had no problem nor do I know anyone who has with New England Seed (Neseed). They do carry some hard to get cultivars. I see they have 3 "Tuscan" melons.

Any particular reason you are after these particular hybrids? Disease resistence? I just bought Savor (F1)
    from Johnny's as a backup to the Charentais I got from Sandhill. The Savor is resistent to powdery mildew--a real problem here last year.

• silverkelt
    Original Author
    16 years ago

marymb,

Valueseeds is just a clearing house for overstocked or out of date seeds from thompson and morgan. Ive always had excellent germination from them however.

(only problem with valueseeds is they do not update quick enough =)... Then they do and you want to buy everything!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! Alot of companies Ive heard of or used, but there were some new ones out there!

My quick observations on some... Though im not expert on seed companies!

Im placing a order with baker creek this year for the first time, they got alot of stuff!

Ive done Johhnys and Pine tree in the past, I like pine tree alot, Last year I had a mixup with Johhnys about some fortex beans I wanted... IM ACROSS the state for goodness sake and they wanted to charge me 2.95 or something like that to ship 4.00 in beans. Anyways, I have no issue with thier seeds though, MY ONLY problem is anyone in maine carrying thier seeds are mostly north of me, for some reason there isnt alot of places in Maine carrying a MAINE company seeds.

I do not order from burpee online... I can get thier seeds from walmart and lowes here, for cheaper , and sometimes more product in it. Go figure =).

Ive done swallowtail seeds in the past, I might try them again this year to get those elusive fortex beans I wanna try....

Thank you again everyone!

• sweet_lemon
    16 years ago

I wish I had seen this thread before I ordered from Harvest Moon seeds. I paid via paypal on march 12, and they never have sent my seeds nor even responded to me via email.

And now it's May 1 and the unusual seeds I had wanted I wont get in time to plant.

Harvest Moon Seeds - never buy from them. They got very bad reviews on Daves Garden reviews that I didnt see in time either.

Most disappointing.

• greenwitch
    16 years ago

I shop Parks and Johnny's (both do germination tests, store seeds in cold storage - very high quality seed). I also like Baker Creek, Heirloom, Sand Hill Preservation, Seed Savers Exchange, Native Seed/SEARCH, Southern Exposure and Nichols. Sometimes I can only find things at J.L.Hudson and Garden City Irish Eyes. Burpee is a good one for their compact/bush varieties of some otherwise big veggie plants. PepperGal has a great selection of sweet and hot chili pepper seeds.

• southsounder
    16 years ago

For Western Washington, Hume Seeds and Territorial are both good. I also shop Renee's Garden down in California for certain varieties.

• sweet_lemon
    16 years ago

Quote: I wish I had seen this thread before I ordered from Harvest Moon seeds. I paid via paypal on march 12, and they never have sent my seeds nor even responded to me via email.

My reply.... will wonders never cease. I did indeed just get my seed order this afternoon, not that long after posting my above comments. Paid March 12, seeds postmarked April 28.

Better late than never.

• stacey_l
    16 years ago

I'm partial to territorial also because I'm an Oregonian. The only complaint I have about them is if they don't ship you some part of your order because they are out or its not ready they don't really let you know. (but they don't charge you either) So many times I've totally forgotten I've ordered something only to find it show up a month later. And you can't tell from the website if you have something pedning. But honestly if I were more organized I would write it down and remember.
    I like Tomato Bob's for my heirloom tomatoes. I think maybe I just like the name, but I love all the detailed info about each varietal on the website and I like that you can order very small amounts so I can have a variety instead of 30 plants of the same tomato. ONly downside for them is you can only use paypal, not a credit card.
    Stacey

• carolync1
    16 years ago

Silverkelt,
    You could also get Fortex from Vermont Bean Seed, getting a larger pack size to compensate for shipping costs. I think it's also fun that they give days to bloom for flowers.

But I didn't order from them this year. I got a half pound of Fortex seeds last year. Some of the companies with high shipping costs (Territorial, etc.) I order from every two or three years. I order from many of the same places others on this thread order, including both seed houses which usually sell to commercial growers and specialty seed houses with really unusual seeds.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz