SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gawlt

Virus-indexed own root online vendors?

gawlt
15 years ago

How does one tell if an online, own root vendor (RU, Chamblee, Vintage, Rogue Valley, Moore's, etc) does virus indexing (or some other proactive measure to grow from virus free roots) or if specific roses out of their long list of available roses are virus-indexed (seems like there might be some designation in the rose name or description.)

I know Heirloom states they work hard at this, but on the website of the other vendors it is hard to find any reference to virus-indexing (or effort to grow own-root roses without a virus) other than the general statement of selling quality roses that are healthy.

I'm a beginner at own-root roses and online ordering. I have heard great things about Heirloom and their virus free plants. I was all set to order but am disappointed that it is going to cost $80 to ship 20 rose bands from Oregon to NV. Probably wont cost them more than $20-$30. I know half the vendors do flat rate shipping, but a number of others attempt to charge you just what it costs to ship. So want to investigate alternatives but want virus free.

Comments (10)