SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carrie_ashendel

Would plywood on fence to protect from vines trap moisture and rot?

Carrie Ashendel
10 months ago

My neighbor's star jasmine grows up our fence and essentially knocked down the last terribly installed one, so we're replacing it. There's zero chance of her getting rid of her jasmine and she is virtually impossible to talk to and very unreasonable when we attempt to, so we're trying to figure out how to keep this from happening again.

I read that a physical barrier between the jasmine and the fence is basically the requirement, although trimming can help, and I do intend to be as diligent as possible in trimming it back from our side (although I have blackberries on our side making it very unfun to get to), but I can't get to her side to keep it off the fence, and her side has the rails and post ends, making for easy climbing.

We are thinking of installing a thin sheet of exterior plywood on her side of the fence, which would just barely reach from the top of the bottom rail to the bottom of the top rail, and would also block access to the holes in the postmaster posts, except for the bottom 8". We'd just staple it to the rails and use bolts to attach to the metal posts, so in the event that she or a new owner wanted to get rid of the jasmine and take the ugly plywood down, they could.

My concern is that adding the plywood would trap moisture inside the fence, between the pickets on our side and the plywood on hers, and cause rot. Is this a valid concern? We're in California, with a wet season and dry season, so hopefully that would somewhat minimize this potential, but I'm still concerned.

Adding the plywood is going to be difficult, because it's really hard to get to anything from her side of the fence through the jasmine (and she has two video cameras facing into our yard to watch us build the fence, and she is generally crazy about us not going on her property, although seemingly a bit forgiving while we're building her a free fence), plus it's ugly and adds cost, so if there's another solution, or if this solution might cause more harm than good, I'm happy to scrap it.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville