SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elenal_gw

protecting wood floors in kitchen from water?

elenal
15 years ago

Hello: I'm looking for advice about how to protect the wood floors in my kitchen from water.

Why you ask? Well, about a month ago I came home to find that the 8 month old wood floors (red oak, prefinished, Armstrong) in front of the sink in my kitchen had buckled dramatically underneath the cushiony wool rug that covered that part of the wood floor. Before having the floors replaced by our installer, we had two different highly experienced plumbers come over the determine whether their was a water leak involved (from the sink, garbage disposal, dishwasher, fridge). They found no leak, and determined that the buckling came from water that DH or I had let accidentally pool up on the rug (which then seeped through to the floor below). The plumbers suggested that maybe the wool rug acted like a sponge. We have no pets, BTW, so there is nothing furry to blame here.

We've had the wood floor replaced, and it looks great. BUT now I'm wondering what to do to prevent this problem. Options, as I see it: 1) never place the wool rug in that spot again, and always wipe up every drop of water that falls to the floor when we're washing our hands, produce or dishes; 2) get a waterproof mat to place underneath the wool rug; or 3) place a waterproof mat in front of the sink and get rid of the wool rug altogether. Any suggestions welcome.

BTW, I really like the wool rug so would love to have it back in place. But I don't want to do it at the cost of another expensive wood floor repair. The only waterproof-ish (I don't know yet if it really is waterproof) mat that I've found that looks halfway decent is the Chef's Gel Mat that you see advertised in the back of cooking magazines. Thanks for any thoughts.

Comments (21)