SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
camilla_collier

New Construction Floor plan

Camilla C
10 months ago

Let's try this again...

I have a new floor plan I would like some feedback on.

We are a family of 5 with 3 young children. We are on a small working farm of 12 acres.

Just want to get some extra eyes on our floor plan to see if there's anything we're missing. The only thing we are currently changing is the slider in the kitchen. It's changing to windows with lower cabinets.

The house will also have a basement (unfinished or partially finished).

Elevation photos are from an earlier version of the plan, but still very similar.

Comments (39)

• WestCoast Hopeful
    10 months ago

Are you open to changes?

If so:

• entry directly to living room is less than ideal and also no storage for coats or shoes. I know you are about to say we will come in mudroom but what about guests?
    • accessing master through mudroom is odd and very far from the young children you have on the upper floor
    • the main living area seems cramped
    • it’s obviously totally doable for kids to share a room but you don’t appear to have any other spaces for if they want to stop this eventually
    • no guest or office space? There aren’t a lot of options away from the one great room
  • WestCoast Hopeful
    10 months ago

Sorry I do see small office hidden away now.

• Related Discussions

New construction farmhouse floor plan help

Q

Comments (3)
    In VT, I wouldn't cover the deck. You could always get a roll-away shade to cover it in the summer. The front porch is too shallow at 6', if you intend to sit there. I've found 8' to be a minimum. To meet code (if you have to) there will be at least 4 more stairs in your stairway. It would be OK to have that, but they go over the main thoroughfare of the house. It looks like you have a sliding door in the hallway. Make sure that there is enough room in the wall with the bathroom sink plumbing. Is the house lined up exactly north/south, east/west? It's better if you can rotate it enough so that the 'north' side of the house gets a little sun. Facing dead north, that side of the house tends to be cold and uninviting, plus it promotes mold and algae. In general, it looks like a good plan!
    ...See More

Desperately Seeking Layout Ideas for New Construction Kitchen

Q

Comments (11)
    ondanonima, damiarain and rebunky, WOW! I am so glad I submitted this to Houzz - I am totally impressed with your ideas. Thank you so much! ondanonima, we are still in the design phase so we can still choose most of the window/glass locations. We want that east wall to be mostly glass. We will probably have one or two French sliding doors covering the entire space (kitchen – living room) with floor to ceiling glass as an option. There's even an option to install a corner window in the NE corner and have the sink as close to that corner as possible. There's not much to look at out a window toward the west end of the north side wall - just the least attractive side of the neighbor's house. I never would have thought of leaving the west wall completely blank. I have to mull this over for a while. We like the idea of lots of floor to ceiling glass on the east wall and it might be hard to give that up. rebunky's idea is appealing in that it frees up the east wall for floor-ceiling glass but I'd need to have the sink more toward the east end of that wall which spoils the pantry in the NE corner! Also I don't know if we'd ever want to sit with our backs to the view :( Your ideas have made me excited that there can be a really good arrangement for this space!
    ...See More

Feedback on new home construction floor plan

Q

Comments (42)
    I prefer the second plan, but fear that you won't have room for a dining table unless you make the house wider. And I still prefer a side-opening garage. I still cook and when I was younger cooked a lot, and I typically do as you do - refrig to stove area, not often to the sink first. But then I don't use a ton of fresh veggies that must be clean/peeled etc. I buy frozen and have since my children left home, as it's easier to control the portions and involves less work. My refrigerator is at the opposite end of the kitchen from my sink - the room is 15 ft wall-to-wall. There is a narrow island cart in between, but since it's one 17" wide, walking past it is far from an onerous task. It was the best place in my house (built in 1948, kitchen remodeled 2 years ago) for the refrigerator. I'm a very organized person so I take everything out at once, and either place it on the counter near the stove where I do my prep, or on the island where it can easily be reached later to take to the sink if needed. We all have different cooking styles and I would never attempt to impose MY style on others. It would be the same as telling a man how to arrange his wallet, and a woman, her handbag. It's a very personal preference.
    ...See More

When do stained wood beams “fit”?

Q

Comments (10)
    Here are a couple of pics. Hard to get the best angles with construction materials in the way. Ceiling facing the fireplace. Then me standing in the breakfast/kitchen area looking towards the patio. The beams will run vertically from the fireplace and help define the space. I just can’t decide if I should stain or paint.
    ...See More
  • littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    10 months ago

Your great room isn’t very great. In fact, it seems quite small. I think you are trying to cram 10 pounds into a five-pound sack, especially in the table/chairs/island/barstools area. And with three children, no less.

• bpath
    10 months ago

Where will you keep your cleaning supplies/tools?

• cpartist
    10 months ago

I see quite a few issues.

Closets need almost 2' for hanging space and you need another 32"-36" for walking into the closet. Your child's closet is too small for one child, let alone 2. They'd be better off with reach in closets.

Additionally those bedrooms look small for 2 children. Where can they spread out in the room if they don't want to go into the playroom? Where will they do homework, since they may need a quiet spot, which a playroom isn't? Have you ever tried making a bed up against the wall like that?

What if the child under the window wants to sit up and read in bed? Meaning why can't the windows in each bedroom go between the beds?

Laundry is tight and means a far run for the dryer hose which is not as safe.

Master closet is small. Again see needed measurements to have a walk in closet. Also clothes can't turn corners.

You have a sit down vanity in the bathroom but if there are 2 of you in there, that won't work because you'll be bumping into one another.

In the kitchen fridge can't go up against a wall, unless it's an integrated fridge. They start at around 8k.

Where is the dishwasher in the layout?

Your sink is too close to your stove. Yes it's 36" but you're also cooking for a family of 5. When we cook, we take food out of the fridge/pantry, bring it to the sink to rinse and prep between sink and stove.

Another issue is you have kids whom I'm thinking you'll eventually want helping in the kitchen. This is a one person kitchen the way it's laid out.

Plus the aisle between island and perimeter counters is not wide enough for more than one person. 48" would be the minimum for more than one person cooking.

You also have the upstairs open to below. Noise travels up. Meaning if you're downstairs, the kids will hear everything. I hope they're sound sleepers.

Where will you store brooms, cleaning supplies etc? Toys?

Agree for a family of 5 the living area looks tight.

Heck the mudroom looks tight. How wide is it since what you posted is too small to see measurements.

Which direction is north?

• 3onthetree
    10 months ago

Thank you for coming back with the new design. The last thread I was thinking that some of the concepts commented on were not being grasped. Apparently there is a new architect. I will say this is 100x better, and IMO is pretty successful after revisiting your last thread.

- The first thing that stands out to me is circulation, function, and orientation. It makes sense now. It follows typical ways people live. It still meets some of the hardpoints you wanted.

- I like the Mudroom axis for garage entry and ease to/from the shop across the driveway from the breezeway. Because of the Mudroom length, sunlit porch, and how you pass through, rather than being an arrival point to the Master door, I don't think it has the "backhouse" feel that would detract from having your Master Bedroom accessed from it.

- The Office is now a real room for real work. I will say that I would expect you, at some point in the future, to enclose the back porch so you can only enter the Office from there (small porches always seem to be requisitioned) as needs and schedules (including the kids) change through the lifespan of the house. Maybe it should be done now.

- The MIL ADU looks to have lots of opportunity.

- The size of rooms are still modest, but now they are all proportionate to the entire plan, as are the secondary spaces and circulation areas.

Two small points I would make is:

- Maybe it's the drawing convention, but for the 1.5 story open cathedral, it is showing "kneewalls" rather than transitioning straight to the outer walls. That would mean there are soffits at the front wall and over the island seating. I don't think that is the intention. It appears the Kitchen has a flat ceiling, so see if you can tuck in the island seats under the Kitchen flat ceiling. Sitting under the 1.5 story open cathedral with a ceiling change slicing your head is a little uncozy feeling.

- The outside Garage mandoor doesn't seem useful functionally there, and would need 1 step up to the porch anyway. See if you can relocate it next to the Master Bath by stretching the Garage a bit, which would also allow some storage space in the Garage.

• Camilla C
    Original Author
    10 months ago
    last modified: 10 months ago

Thank you for the feedback.

I see most of your comments are to increase the size and add more rooms. We are at 2000 sq. ft. and will not be going any larger. You all seem to want a 3000 sq. ft. minimum. I think the space is well organized for a small floor plan. If you have suggestions that do not include adding square footage, I open to making changes.

WestCoast Hopeful

• Entry directly to living room is less than ideal and also no storage for coats or shoes. I know you are about to say we will come in mudroom but what about guests?

With a 2000 sq ft house, entering into the living room is pretty typical. A foyer would be a waste of space. The few guest we have once in a blue moon can put their coat and shoes in the nook behind the door.

• accessing master through mudroom is odd and very far from the young children you have on the upper floor

The stairs going up to the kid's room is pretty much right outside the master. It won't be far and we are not putting our master upstairs.

• the main living area seems cramped

It's almost twice the size of what we have now, so it will be nice for us. The only other option would be to add sq. ft. which we won't be doing.

• it’s obviously totally doable for kids to share a room but you don’t appear to have any other spaces for if they want to stop this eventually

To stop sharing a room? The two boys will always share a room and our girl will have her own room.

• no guest or office space? There aren’t a lot of options away from the one great room

As you said, there is an office off the master since I work from home. There is a playroom for the kids. There is also a basement for my husband. There is also a workshop.

bpath

We will put our cleaning supplies in the broom closet to the left of the pantry and in the laundry room.

cpartist

Closets need almost 2' for hanging space and you need another 32"-36" for walking into the closet. Your child's closet is too small for one child, let alone 2. They'd be better off with reach in closets.

One kid has a reach in closet. The other is a small walk in. Their is enough space for the two boys to share in the small walk-in. If it's too small, they have too many clothes.

Additionally those bedrooms look small for 2 children. Where can they spread out in the room if they don't want to go into the playroom? Where will they do homework, since they may need a quiet spot, which a playroom isn't? Have you ever tried making a bed up against the wall like that?

Making the bedrooms smaller means adding square footage and we won't be making the house any larger. We could make the bedrooms larger and loose the playroom, but we would rather have the playroom.

If they are doing homework, then they won't be playing, so they could use the playroom, their bedroom, or what most students do is study at the kitchen table or island.

Yes, that is how their beds are right now.

What if the child under the window wants to sit up and read in bed? Meaning why can't the windows in each bedroom go between the beds?

You are assuming there will be two twin beds in that exact orientation in there forever. We are going to place the windows how they look best from the outside in this case. If it looks best on the elevation then we may change, but the orientation of furniture always changes so I'm not going to design the house around one way a kids bedroom can be setup.

Laundry is tight and means a far run for the dryer hose which is not as safe.

Only other option is to not have the w/d in it's own room. I'd rather have a tight laundry room than see the w/d when I walk in.

Master closet is small. Again see needed measurements to have a walk in closet. Also clothes can't turn corners.

The size of the master closet is plenty large for us. I wouldn't mind a reach in, but the a small walk-in works better in this layout.

You have a sit down vanity in the bathroom but if there are 2 of you in there, that won't work because you'll be bumping into one another.

That would assume we are both in the bathroom at the same time all the time. The only reason he would be in that part of the bathroom would be to brush his teeth, otherwise he can close himself off in the toilet or shower.

In the kitchen fridge can't go up against a wall, unless it's an integrated fridge. They start at around 8k.

It's a counter depth fridge.

Dishwasher is to the right of the sink.

Your sink is too close to your stove. Yes it's 36" but you're also cooking for a family of 5. When we cook, we take food out of the fridge/pantry, bring it to the sink to rinse and prep between sink and stove.

Another issue is you have kids whom I'm thinking you'll eventually want helping in the kitchen. This is a one person kitchen the way it's laid out.

Plus the aisle between island and perimeter counters is not wide enough for more than one person. 48" would be the minimum for more than one person cooking.

I'm open to moving the stove to the south wall, but then I loose some of the windows. It's deciding what's more important. The aisle is 45". This will be plenty of space.

You also have the upstairs open to below. Noise travels up. Meaning if you're downstairs, the kids will hear everything. I hope they're sound sleepers.

Yes, it is open to below. I understand the pros and cons. It's important to making 2000 sq. ft. feel bigger.

Brooms and cleaning supplies are stored in the broom closet to the left of the pantry. Toys will go in the playroom.

Heck the mudroom looks tight. How wide is it since what you posted is too small to see measurements.

This would require adding square footage which we aren't interested in. The mudroom is almost 6' wide.

The top is north.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    10 months ago

Sounds like you are not open to making any changes at all. It’s a bit of a fools errand to post a “what do you think of my plan” and then not be open to feedback. You don’t need to increase the size of the home you should be open to making it better. Our previous home,
    Over two floors was under 2k square feet and much better laid out than your is. We also have three kids and what worked when they were little is vastly different now that they are two teens and a tween. Good luck with your project, you seem very happy with it as is.

• Camilla C
    Original Author
    10 months ago

I just responded to your comments. I didn’t see any suggestions. If you have suggestions, I’m open to making changes…ie. move the closet here and the door here so the space is more accessible. Make the living room bigger by doing this.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    10 months ago

Suggestions:

1. Rework entry so it’s not into living room. You don’t need a giant foyer. You need to create the space though.

2. Make the kids bedrooms larger, skip the playroom upstairs entirely. Add bigger kid closets.

3. Rework the entire mudroom, garage entry, master bedroom area so that it makes more sense and gives you a bit more space. Long mudroom is fairly useless.

4. With the space created from reworking the master side add in a flex space that is essentially an area for kids to play. Make sure it can have doors on it and that it will age well for your family so kids can hang out there when older.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    10 months ago

@3onthhetree where is the MIL/ADU?

• res2architect
    10 months ago

Tight but otherwise well done.

The 3D model doesn't seem to match the plan.

• catbuilder
    10 months ago

The ADU is to the right.

What I can't find is the front door.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    10 months ago

It appears to be to the left of the plan, hard to find, with no entry area.

• Camilla C
    Original Author
    10 months ago

3onthetree

Maybe it's the drawing convention, but for the 1.5 story open cathedral, it is showing "kneewalls" rather than transitioning straight to the outer walls. That would mean there are soffits at the front wall and over the island seating. I don't think that is the intention. It appears the Kitchen has a flat ceiling, so see if you can tuck in the island seats under the Kitchen flat ceiling. Sitting under the 1.5 story open cathedral with a ceiling change slicing your head is a little uncozy feeling.

I don't quite understand everything you're saying here, but I do see where it looks like the kitchen island should be moved under the lower roof. Thank you.

The outside Garage mandoor doesn't seem useful functionally there, and would need 1 step up to the porch anyway. See if you can relocate it next to the Master Bath by stretching the Garage a bit, which would also allow some storage space in the Garage.

I agree. I don't even think there need to be a mandoor. I would prefer to just get rid of it altogether.

WestCoast Hopeful

Make the kids bedrooms larger, skip the playroom upstairs entirely. Add bigger kid closets.

While I would like to make the kids' bedrooms larger, they do need a common area and unfortunately I can't do both. They can not have TVs or video games in their bedrooms, so the playroom provides a common area to play, watch TV, study, etc.

Rework the entire mudroom, garage entry, master bedroom area so that it makes more sense and gives you a bit more space. Long mudroom is fairly useless.

I understand your thinking, but the mudroom needs to be accessible from the garage and the east (or south) side of the house. When we come in from working, there needs to be a place to use the bathroom, wash up, drop dirty clothes and shoes. This was the best orientation we could come up with that meets all of those demands.

With the space created from reworking the master side add in a flex space that is essentially an area for kids to play. Make sure it can have doors on it and that it will age well for your family so kids can hang out there when older.

I would prefer for the kids to have their space upstairs rather than taking over the upstair and the main floor - which is why I really want the playroom. The basement is another option, but that is supposed to be my husband's space.

res2architect

The elevations have not yet been updated with the new floor plan.

catbuilder

The front door is to the west by the stairs. When driving up to the house, it will be obvious. The house sits far off the main road, so the 'front' of the house is kind of the side.

• cpartist
    10 months ago

One kid has a reach in closet. The other is a small walk in. Their is enough space for the two boys to share in the small walk-in. If it's too small, they have too many clothes.

You are missing the point. It is too small to be a walkin. The minimum width would need to be 56" wide. (2' for hanging clothes because they won't be little boys forever + a minimum of 32" to be able to actually walk INTO the closet)

If they are doing homework, then they won't be playing, so they could use the playroom, their bedroom, or what most students do is study at the kitchen table or island.

Yes that's what kids do when they are young. That's not what they do when teenagers trying to study for a big test.

You are assuming there will be two twin beds in that exact orientation in there forever. We are going to place the windows how they look best from the outside in this case. If it looks best on the elevation then we may change, but the orientation of furniture always changes so I'm not going to design the house around one way a kids bedroom can be setup.

The room is too small to design it any other way, so again I ask the same question about if one wants to sit up to read in bed?

Only other option is to not have the w/d in it's own room. I'd rather have a tight laundry room than see the w/d when I walk in.

Then you'd better make sure you have someone come clean your dryer hose line to the outside yearly so you don't wind up having a fire from lint build up in the hose. I say that because that's a long run to the outside. Maybe even what is the maximum allowed.

The size of the master closet is plenty large for us. I wouldn't mind a reach in, but the a small walk-in works better in this layout.

Except you can't have it the way it's shown because clothes can't turn corners and that corner will be dead space.

That would assume we are both in the bathroom at the same time all the time. The only reason he would be in that part of the bathroom would be to brush his teeth, otherwise he can close himself off in the toilet or shower.

And if he's brushing his teeth, you won't be able to sit down at the vanity.

It's a counter depth fridge.

Well then it won't fit up against the wall. Well it will but you won't be able to open the doors wide enough to get any of the bins open.

Dishwasher is to the right of the sink.

So what you're saying is the dishwasher is in your prep space. So you're prepping and now someone needs to put something in the dishwasher. You have to move out of the way. Move the dishwasher to the left of the sink for a better work flow.

I'm open to moving the stove to the south wall, but then I loose some of the windows. It's deciding what's more important. The aisle is 45". This will be plenty of space.

The aisle is not 45" because you're not accounting for what sticks out. Meaning your counter overhangs stick out from the cabinets 1 1/2" and your stove handle sticks out about 3", and your cabinet handles stick out about 1". So you need to measure from what sticks out the furthest on the perimeter side to the island side. So at a minimum, your 45" is now 42". 42" is fine for a one person kitchen. Not so fine when kids are with you learning and helping.

Yes, it is open to below. I understand the pros and cons. It's important to making 2000 sq. ft. feel bigger.

The house overall is fairly well designed and that will make it feel bigger without having a 2 story open area that costs a heck of a lot more to heat and cool, plus the noise, the cost to cover windows, etc.

What is the height of the first floor? If it's 9' or taller, it should give you the feel of plenty of space.

Brooms and cleaning supplies are stored in the broom closet to the left of the pantry. Toys will go in the playroom.

How old are your kids?

This would require adding square footage which we aren't interested in. The mudroom is almost 6' wide.

6' works.

The top is north.

Excellent because your main rooms get southern light.

• cpartist
    10 months ago

Are the boys twins or within a year or two in age? If not, I would absolutely skip the playroom and give each child their own room where they can have a comfy chair and a place that they can call their own.

The basement is another option, but that is supposed to be my husband's space.

Can it be divided so your husband can have his space and the kids have a space down there too?

Think about it as the kids get older, do you really want them upstairs with the tv blasting while one or another of the kids needs to study or sleep. Or what happens if one kid isn't feeling well?

I'm assuming your kids right now are little. Things change a lot as they get older and since you're on a farm, I'm assuming you have no intention of ever moving. So you need to build in the idea that one day they'll be a lot bigger.

I like bpath's suggestion to add a foyer/mudroom area so you're not immediately walking into the living room

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    10 months ago

Make sure the entry into the house you would want a first time visitor to go to is well defined and visible.

• res2architect
    10 months ago

Its got everything the owners need and nothing more — a sign of uncommon skill.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    10 months ago

Does it have everything they need moving forward or just right now? It seems odd to build a home for the stage one is in now and not consider the future much…

• Mrs Pete
    10 months ago

entry directly to living room is less than ideal and also no storage for coats or shoes. I know you are about to say we will come in mudroom but what about guests?

It's a small entry, but I see you've drawn in a small bench or table by the door. It will have to be quite small, or it will block the stairway ... but with a mirror above it, it will be enough for guests to drop keys and purses. Minimal though.

accessing master through mudroom is odd and very far from the young children you have on the upper floor

I wouldn't say it's odd, but this part of the house could be made more functional:

- Laundry is best on an exterior wall. It's cheaper to build and easier to keep clean, which means more fire-safe. Once I had a chipmunk crawl into my dryer vent and die (with her babies) ... I was very glad my dryer vent was only about 12" long and super-easy to change. You could easily re-vamp this by moving the laundry to the right (so it's nearer the office) and bringing the closet to the left (which makes no difference).

- If you keep the laundry where it is, consider flip-flopping the machines to the other side /moving the door to the mudroom rather than the little hallway ... and go with double doors. This would allow you to open the doors /utilize the mudroom space while you're in the laundry. It would give more space to a small laundry ... you could even downsize to a closet-W/D, if you are able to open doors /use the mudroom space during the active part of laundry.

- When I bought a new washer/dryer two years ago I was AMAZED at how much larger new models are.

- You have a half bath in the mudroom and the master bath (with a divided toilet and shower) very nearby. Since I don't enjoy cleaning toilets, I'd rearrange these /lose the half bath /create a half bath attached to the master bath ... more efficient and cheaper.

- I am no clotheshorse, but the closet strikes me as small for two adults. I'd lose the hinged door and go with a pocket door here ... this would give you a blank wall for hanging items such as hats, jewelry, scarves.

- I would add a pass-through between the mudroom and the pantry.

- Take the window out of the pantry. Light is the enemy of food storage.

Additionally those bedrooms look small for 2 children.

They do look small. I'd consider Captain's beds, with drawers underneath for ample storage.

Agree that the window would be better between the beds.

Let's fast-forward two decades: Can these bedrooms hold at least a queen-sized bed? One day these small children will come home with a spouse.

This assumes more than one person will be cooking. My husband and I both cook ... but we both hate anyone else with us in the kitchen. OP, it's important that you get the space right, so you should absolutely do three things:

- Think through how you personally use your kitchen ... think about how you really use it, not how you wish you used it.

- Go to Lowes and measure their sample kitchens' aisles; decide for yourself how much space you really need. Seeing is more valuable than guessing.

- Understand the difference between space between cabinets and the space between countertops. Countertops will overhang 1-2".

We are at 2000 sq. ft. and will not be going any larger. You all seem to want a 3000 sq. ft. minimum.

2000 sf is a large house. You're "spending" a lot of space on the playroom and the sunroom. Note that the sunroom is larger than your living room. Does this fit your goals?

It's almost twice the size of what we have now, so it will be nice for us.

The goal isn't to do better than you have now ... the goal is to design an ideal living area that will serve your family well for years.

As you said, there is an office off the master since I work from home. There is a playroom for the kids. There is also a basement for my husband. There is also a workshop.

You're opting for a lot of rooms rather than a large living space. Does this fit your goals

About that basement ... could the kids' playroom go down there? If so, it would allow for larger bedrooms AND would move the noise downstairs /allow the bedrooms to be a quiet kids' retreat. And it would take the TV away from the bedroom area altogether.
    We will put our cleaning supplies in the broom closet to the left of the pantry and in the laundry room.

This is good -- if you don't plan for these things, they'll end up cluttering your kitchen, etc. Consider adding an outlet in this closet for a stick-vac or a Roomba.

Consider that kids' closets hold more than clothes, especially as they become teens: They need space for sleeping bags, hobby items, perhaps in the future musical instruments or sports equipment (imagine trying to fit football pads into that closet).

Where will they keep backpacks and school books? Don't say the mudroom, if you anticipate they'll take them upstairs to study.
    What I can't find is the front door.

It took me a minute too. A side entrance is fine, but you must take care to "direct" your guests towards that side. This is going to require some planning effort since the garage entrance is around the back ... be sure guests have a clear parking area on the side /near the entrance door. They should have a view of the door from the parking area so it's a "straight shot" for them. The door should be painted a bright color so the eye will be drawn to it. A set of wide steps would also attract guests to the unusual side entrance.

They can not have TVs or video games in their bedrooms, so the playroom provides a common area to play, watch TV, study, etc.

I agree with kids not having TV, etc. in their bedrooms ... too much bad stuff out there for them to take in, and innocence cannot be regained; however, I see no difference between having a TV in the bedroom vs. having a TV in the playroom only steps away. You, the parent, won't be completely aware of what they're watching.
    I understand your thinking, but the mudroom needs to be accessible from the garage and the east (or south) side of the house.

I get what you're doing ... but this mudroom is quite large, and it's eating up more than its share of your hard-line 2000 sf. Add in the large sunroom, the playroom and the mandatory office, and that's why the kids' bedrooms are undersized. No suggestions, just pointing out the laws of physics; if space must be spent in Area A, Area B is going to be smaller.

I would prefer for the kids to have their space upstairs rather than taking over the upstair and the main floor - which is why I really want the playroom.

This is unlikely to happen in real life. The kids will still haul their stuff downstairs. Could a portion of the sunroom be used for kids' toys while they're young? That would allow for larger kids' bedrooms upstairs.

When driving up to the house, it will be obvious.

The devil is in the details. Once it's built, look at the house as if you're a guest. Are you crystal clear on where to park? where to enter? I have one friend in particular who lives in a huge, very expensive house, but she put zero thought into guests parking, and her driveway is so confusing ... no matter where I park, I feel like I'm wrong.

The room is too small to design it any other way

The boys' beds might be arranged in an L-shape, allowing them more floor space.

Other thoughts:

- Does the office need a door? Maybe a pocket door?

- Do you need a dining table + island seating + a small table in the adjacent sunroom + an outdoor table? How many places do you need to eat?

- The kitchen would function better if you move either the sink /dishwasher or the cooktop to the island. Why? Becuase it would mean the major players aren't all spread out on one single cabinet run. You want your sink, cooktop and refrigerator to be 4-9' apart for efficiency.

- Where's your microwave? your trash can? your fire extinguisher?

- I don't see any end tables in the living room ... you 'll want lamps for good lighting. Also add a couple outlets in the floor for lighting.

- I'd remove the door in the middle of the kids' bathroom. While, in theory, it allows for privacy, the reality is that it's just going to be in the way ... a kid in the first room is still blocking the way to the back room, and it's an obstacle to clean around.

• lmckuin
    10 months ago

There are some good tips on kitchen/ closet details that the OP may want to consider, but overall, after reading what the OP wants and needs, I think this feels like a pretty good plan.

• 3onthetree
    10 months ago

The site plan is provided in the OP. It shows the drive approach and sidewalk to the front door (as does the first floor plan partially). The entry is just as good as any plan that graces these forums.

One of the strong criteria points was a small efficient plan. The kid's bedrooms are proportionate to the Master, which itself is proportionate with respect to other gathering rooms and it's own ensuite. I would actually say the Master is a bit small, but I hear the OP and "modesty" is a large part of their lifestyle. Everything seems "right-sized" for the context of this design.

The more I look at this plan, and how some things line up and a couple nice design elements appear that you wouldn't expect in a small efficient plan, I am more and more impressed. I would consider this one of the better plans to visit Houzz recently. Though OP, I would not consider it finalized. It is always good to take a week or so off from looking or thinking about this design, and then come back to re-look at it with maybe some fresh eyes. And after a progression of addressing MEP (mech/elect/plumb). Try to experience the interior in 3-D.

And FWIW, you can turn a corner in a walk-in closet. Simple with rod/shelf, one wall is double rod, the perpendicular wall is single rod.

• AnnKH
    10 months ago

I feel like you're missing out on a golden opportunity by insisting on the huge vaulted ceiling in the great room. You already have the walls and roof - if you add floor joists above the great room, you just gained a nice playroom at very little cost. This allows you to expand the bedrooms without losing the playroom.

I agree with whoever said that older kids do homework in their rooms. So the boys' room needs space for at least 1 desk (assuming there is another desk for the second boy in the play room).

I also agree about losing the door in the upstairs bathroom. Even my identical twins did not use the bathroom at the same time.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    10 months ago

I will say my two girls, who share a bathroom, do use at same time. Frequently one is in shower while the other brushes teeth etc. With three kids sharing it will be even more important to have this option. We have a pocket door between sink area and tub/toilet

• Camilla C
    Original Author
    10 months ago

cpartist

Are the boys twins or within a year or two in age? If not, I would absolutely skip the playroom and give each child their own room where they can have a comfy chair and a place that they can call their own.

The boys are 18 months apart. The playroom is too small to be a bedroom. Either we leave it the way it is or loose the playroom and increase the size of the two upstairs bedrooms.

The basement is another option, but that is supposed to be my husband's space.

Can it be divided so your husband can have his space and the kids have a space down there too?

It can, but the basement is already getting a lot shoved down there so we'll have to get creative. Exercise room, husbands space, storage (no attic), and canning pantry.

Think about it as the kids get older, do you really want them upstairs with the tv blasting while one or another of the kids needs to study or sleep. Or what happens if one kid isn't feeling well?

I'm assuming your kids right now are little. Things change a lot as they get older and since you're on a farm, I'm assuming you have no intention of ever moving. So you need to build in the idea that one day they'll be a lot bigger.

This has been brought up a few times. I understand what everyone is saying, but I've never actually known anyone to successfully study in their bedroom. I know my brother and I never once studied in our bedroom. It always happened at the kitchen table. When I studied with friends it always happened in the living room or kitchen table.

I like bpath's suggestion to add a foyer/mudroom area so you're not immediately walking into the living room.

I understand what you are all saying about the front door, but I can't emphasize how little company we get. Due to my husband's PTSD, no one is even allowed to come over without prior notice. About once a week, my parents stop by and they will likely enter through the garage.

Mark Bischak, Architect

Make sure the entry into the house you would want a first time visitor to go to is well defined and visible.

I show an elevation of the front entrance. You drive right up to the front door. This is the only door option from the driveway other than the garage door.

Mrs Pete

accessing master through mudroom is odd and very far from the young children you have on the upper floor

I wouldn't say it's odd, but this part of the house could be made more functional:

- Laundry is best on an exterior wall. It's cheaper to build and easier to keep clean, which means more fire-safe. Once I had a chipmunk crawl into my dryer vent and die (with her babies) ... I was very glad my dryer vent was only about 12" long and super-easy to change. You could easily re-vamp this by moving the laundry to the right (so it's nearer the office) and bringing the closet to the left (which makes no difference).

- If you keep the laundry where it is, consider flip-flopping the machines to the other side /moving the door to the mudroom rather than the little hallway ... and go with double doors. This would allow you to open the doors /utilize the mudroom space while you're in the laundry. It would give more space to a small laundry ... you could even downsize to a closet-W/D, if you are able to open doors /use the mudroom space during the active part of laundry.

- When I bought a new washer/dryer two years ago I was AMAZED at how much larger new models are.

I will look at this more. Thank you.

- You have a half bath in the mudroom and the master bath (with a divided toilet and shower) very nearby. Since I don't enjoy cleaning toilets, I'd rearrange these /lose the half bath /create a half bath attached to the master bath ... more efficient and cheaper.

This is what we originally had, but then that becomes the only bathroom on the main floor and we do not want to share our master bath with all of the kids and any guests we might have.

- I am no clotheshorse, but the closet strikes me as small for two adults. I'd lose the hinged door and go with a pocket door here ... this would give you a blank wall for hanging items such as hats, jewelry, scarves.

Pocket door would be nice.

- Take the window out of the pantry. Light is the enemy of food storage.

I think this was added for aesthetics and symmetry of the exterior. I was planning on a blackout shade. We can look at removing it if the exterior still works.

2000 sf is a large house. You're "spending" a lot of space on the playroom and the sunroom. Note that the sunroom is larger than your living room. Does this fit your goals?

The sunroom is not included in the 2000 sq ft. and is absolutely needed. It is one of my few 'must haves'.

You're opting for a lot of rooms rather than a large living space. Does this fit your goals

About that basement ... could the kids' playroom go down there? If so, it would allow for larger bedrooms AND would move the noise downstairs /allow the bedrooms to be a quiet kids' retreat. And it would take the TV away from the bedroom area altogether.

It's an option, but the point was for my husband to get away from the kids, not have them in his space. So, an option, just not ideal.

Consider that kids' closets hold more than clothes, especially as they become teens: They need space for sleeping bags, hobby items, perhaps in the future musical instruments or sports equipment (imagine trying to fit football pads into that closet).

Where will they keep backpacks and school books? Don't say the mudroom, if you anticipate they'll take them upstairs to study.

Anything that comes into and out of the house regularly will be held in the mudroom. As I mentioned, I've never known kids to study in their bedroom. It generally happens at the kitchen table. If the items are not going in a out regularly, they go into storage until next season.

It took me a minute too. A side entrance is fine, but you must take care to "direct" your guests towards that side. This is going to require some planning effort since the garage entrance is around the back ... be sure guests have a clear parking area on the side /near the entrance door. They should have a view of the door from the parking area so it's a "straight shot" for them. The door should be painted a bright color so the eye will be drawn to it. A set of wide steps would also attract guests to the unusual side entrance.

It's not actually a side entrance as you drive up to the house. When you drive up to the house, it's the only thing you see. My original post has an elevation of what you see when you drive up.

Could a portion of the sunroom be used for kids' toys while they're young? That would allow for larger kids' bedrooms upstairs.

This could be an option.

AnnKH

I feel like you're missing out on a golden opportunity by insisting on the huge vaulted ceiling in the great room. You already have the walls and roof - if you add floor joists above the great room, you just gained a nice playroom at very little cost. This allows you to expand the bedrooms without losing the playroom.

I have considered this, but with such a small space, I really want the room to feel larger than it is. Every time I think about doing this, I quickly decide against it.

I also agree about losing the door in the upstairs bathroom. Even my identical twins did not use the bathroom at the same time.

I don't disagree. We may loose the door.

• Camilla C
    Original Author
    10 months ago

With everyone's concern about the front entrance. This is what you see when you drive up to the house from the long driveway. There is a circle drive in front of this entrance.

• G W
    10 months ago

I really like a lot about your house. The exterior asthetic....looks....(I can't spell) are very classic. A few thoughts:

Those who are concerned that the kids rooms are far from mom and dad- it looks to me like the front door opens to stairs to basement, and stairs to kids rooms goes up from mudroom/kitchen area, so just a few steps from mom and dad, am I right about that?

Second, it would mean several changes, including to roof slope and upstairs layout, but if your ridge line over living space was shifted back a bit, you could have some room for space over the kitchen without sacrificing your living room vault. Maybe not worth it to you, but if it turns out not to affect the looks too much, I wouldn't think it would add much to cost.

I admire your commitment to keeping things a reasonable size, I think you've covered the basics admirably. I see no problem with siblings sharing rooms (says the mom of an only child), but I also think squeezing just a touch more space out of the upstairs could make a big difference, especially if you really don't want too much kid stuff going on in the basement.

• Mrs Pete
    10 months ago

I think this feels like a pretty good plan.

It has some strong points.

The site plan is provided in the OP. It shows the drive approach and sidewalk to the front door (as does the first floor plan partially).

I see that now. I still think ALL BUILDERS need to design the drive /parking /door so that guests will clearly understand where to park /where to enter the house, and this concept is often an after-thought.

It is always good to take a week or so off from looking or thinking about this design, and then come back to re-look at it with maybe some fresh eyes.

An excellent idea.

And FWIW, you can turn a corner in a walk-in closet.

Let's say it differently: You CAN maximize your space and use that corner to its best advantage, but you CANNOT "double dip" and hang clothes in the same space. People are sometimes fooled by this on paper, and it's important to understand how much space you actually have in the closet.

A question about kids' clothes: An issue that all multi-child families face is saving clothes "between kids". Since I had all girls and a bunch of nieces, I ALWAYS had outgrown clothes and/or too-large clothes "waiting". I had good-sized closets, so I stored those things in the kids' closets. OP, you should consider storage of clothes that don't currently fit your kids.

I agree with whoever said that older kids do homework in their rooms. So the boys' room needs space for at least 1 desk (assuming there is another desk for the second boy in the play room).

Older kids DEFINITELY do homework in their rooms; once they're past the "reading to mom and dad stage", you want your kids to become independent in their homework. My kids studied in their room, as did my nieces, my neighbors' kids. No high schooler's going to sit at the kitchen island to read a novel. Being a teacher, how to get homework done is something people ask me about frequently.

I don't know that a desk is essential. I never used my desk as a child (except for typing a paper on my heavy manual typewriter). My kids didn't have desks in their rooms. I'd lean towards getting them a lap desk (to prevent the computer from overheating on the bedsheets). Put in outlets at night-stand level and extra outlets on the kitchen island.
    The sunroom is not included in the 2000 sq ft. and is absolutely needed. It is one of my few 'must haves'.

You've said multiple times 2000 sf is it, and the sunroom isn't part of that? Plus the basement. Plus the garage.
    Anything that comes into and out of the house regularly will be held in the mudroom. As I mentioned, I've never known kids to study in their bedroom. It generally happens at the kitchen table. If the items are not going in a out regularly, they go into storage until next season.

This doesn't seem realistic. Kids will take their school books and musical instruments upstairs.

• Mrs. S
    10 months ago

I'm not a pro, but I've helped design a couple layouts, and I am on these forums daily. Also, I have lived in a 2000 sf house, and currently, a house that is bigger than that (too big). And, I have 4 teens/young adults, so I have definite opinions about how I like a house to layout. With that in mind, here are my comments:

Kitchen Aisleways: I would make my kitchen aisleways 48" and that is from countertop edge to countertop edge, not cabinet to cabinet. Your counters stick out an inch or so, right? Too many reasons, as others have stated.

Laundry Room: 2,000sf is not a small house, but what makes it live-able like a bigger home is when the work-room areas are bigger. More spacious kitchen, definitely a bigger laundry room, my goodness, on a farm and all. Will your kids play sports? I simply could not deal with not having a sink in the laundry room. I keep a bucket in the sink for soaking things in Oxy. You need a place to fold stuff, and hang stuff that needs another little bit of time to dry. For a family of 5, I could live with smaller bedrooms but no way would I build a brand-new house with a laundry room of the size in your drawing. I'd rather do laundry in a garage space than have no sink.

I hear you about how kids don't study in their bedrooms. Well, one of my kids does sometimes, on her bed. I think small bedrooms means they won't spend a lot of time in there (together) after the toddler years. No biggie (to me).

I don't even get the point of a "playroom", and to me, that seems like a room that a huge 4,000sf house might have. My kids played all over the house, usually following me around as I cleaned or did housework or cooked. Maybe yours are different. But I'd trade that square footage for bigger closets in a heartbeat.

I'd lose the "open" second story. Why? because you need a bigger laundry room, bigger closets, and something else. You will be heating and air conditioning that tall space and for what? Unusable space?

Bigger garage:

Your garage is too small, imho. If you are building a new house, and with all those kids, you need some SPACE, especially if you have winter stuff. I live in SoCal, so we don't even have winter gear, and where cars parking outside in the driveway year-round is the norm. But I'll tell you about what is stored in our spacious 2-car garage where 4 kids have grown up: Garage cabs floor to ceiling stuffed with Xmas decorations (for inside and out), faux xmas trees, Halloween decorations, holiday china/dishes, my old work files in case I decide to take up my former career again, sports equipment like a basketball bin, coolers, foldable wheelbarrow, bikes and bike accessories, karate weapons/equipment, surfboards and beach stuff (you might have skis and snow stuff), an extra refrigerator/freezer, "Costco cabinets" for extra TP and paper towels, etc., car wash supplies, gardening supplies, etc. etc. And we don't even park 2 cars in the 2-car part of our garage.

It is possible you are thinking that adding square footage there means that you adding $$ on a proportional psf basis, however, that will not in fact be the case! You can stretch a wall out on one side of your garage, and the costs to make the garage a few sf bigger on two sides so you can fit garage cabs on 3 sides is not going to add that much expense. You have the opportunity to do it now.

• cpartist
    10 months ago

You have young kids right now and are making assumptions of how they'll be as they grow up. Please don't and truly think through what everyone here is telling you. My babies are now 31 and 35 years old. When they were growing up we had a total of 2 computers in the house (with one being for the kids to do some of their homework) and yet, they still managed to do their homework and entertain a friend or two (same sex) in their rooms. We had a huge playroom that they never used once they were older than 10 years old.

And the stuff that got accumulated as they grew up! Besides toys and games, there were roller blades, hockey equipment, baseball equipment, skateboards, Barbie dolls, doll houses, shoes, dresses, hair stuff, art and craft supplies, baseball cards, back in the day pokeman cards, Legos, etc. And all of that was either in their rooms or strewn about the house until I would make them pick it up and bring it back to their rooms. And they both had ample closets with lots of excellent storage and built in desks in their rooms.

I know you've agonized over this plan and worked with your architect and overall it is a good plan. I agree with MrsPete that 2000 sq feet is not small. It's almost just right and can be right without adding more space. And overall it is a good plan. But truly take the time to reread what everyone has read and really think about those who have had more experience and what they think.

I know it's what I did when I posted my house plan on here back in 2015/16. Like you, I didn't agree with everyone but I truly listened and thought about what everyone said, and mulled it over and over. The difference was I was building our retirement house, so had a pretty good idea of how it would live now and until we could no longer live in it. You're building a house now with young children who will grow up. Little kids/little problems. Big kids/big problems is what my SIL used to say. I would say something similar. little kids/little space. Big kids/LOTS of space. So how will you make your 2000 sq feet work for when they're big kids?

• Mrs Pete
    10 months ago

but what makes it live-able like a bigger home is when the work-room areas are bigger.

Agree. The work-areas of your house will be used on a daily basis, and -- in my mind -- they are the real reason to build. Any house you look at will have a decent living room and bedrooms, and a lot of them will have the coveted sunroom, but work areas are often skimpy as if they're after-thoughts, even though they are the make-or-break areas of the house.

I simply could not deal with not having a sink in the laundry room. I keep a bucket in the sink for soaking things in Oxy.

Nope, you're losing me here. All modern washing machines have a soak feature, so a separate sink is not really necessary. I've never had a sink in my laundry room, but my mom had one in the house where I grew up -- it was fully of junk and was never used as a sink.

I'd rather do laundry in a garage space

This isn't the worst of options, if it would free up space in the house for the work areas.
    I don't even get the point of a "playroom" ... But I'd trade that square footage for bigger closets in a heartbeat.

Agree. I think years from now the OP will regret "spending square footage" on the playroom.
    When they were growing up we had a total of 2 computers in the house (with one being for the kids to do some of their homework) and yet, they still managed to do their homework and entertain a friend or two (same sex) in their rooms.

From a teacher: I totally hear what you're saying, and when my kids were younger we had one desktop for the family (in the family room in plain view). While they were in high school we added laptops and smart phones came along about the time my oldest finished high school. BUT things have changed significantly in the last decade, especially since Covid. I don't think my school's unusual in handing out Chromebooks to all students, and the vast majority of their work in school is now digital. No way that one desktop would work even for two kids today, and school work is much more "portable". During Covid I often taught from my covered porch. Some of my students traveled during quarantine, yet they were able to keep up with their schoolwork.

Important thoughts -- again, from a teacher:

- I don't know how young families can adequately protect kids from dangerous parts of the internet now, but it's a battle you must fight. It was hard enough when my kids were younger. I also see that technology has largely squashed creativity in our children.

- You should absolutely "go overkill" with outlets at nightstand height between the kids' beds AND at the kitchen island so that they have the option to plug in their computers where they please. Go with the type that includes a USB plug in so you're ready for whatever the kids need.

- Love 'em or hate 'em, online classes are here to stay. My youngest had online classes in high school and both had online classes in college.

And the stuff that got accumulated as they grew up!

That's true, and we made a decision early on we were going to give our children less than we could afford -- most of their friends "had more".

• res2architect
    10 months ago

I like the 3D model version with evenly spaced windows on the upper floor which I assume centers the windows in the kids bedrooms. The claim that there is more than one way to furnish those rooms is doubtful.

• cpartist
    10 months ago

Mrs Pete you made my point perfectly! Thank you.

• wetsnakehollow
    10 months ago

Is there a void and if so why not use this space for more room upstairs?

• LH CO/FL
    10 months ago

Such a nicely compact design, but agree with others that there's rooom to make it really special. Instead of thinking about how your kids use spaces now, close your eyes and imagine those kids in 10 years, and how they'll live, study and entertain themselves when they're teenagers, or older when they come home for college summers, etc. (I always studied in my bedroom, but had a desk that I loved!) How will the kitchen work with 5 adult-sized people (expand that aisle space) or the upstairs with 3 grown kids trying to get ready for an event?

With that in mind, could you reclaim some of the open-to-below space as a loft to function as the playroom while they're young, and then it could be a reading nook or study space as they're older, and use the current playroom space to expand their bedrooms?

• littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    10 months ago

Some good advice here. A custom-built home is likely for Forever, not Right Now.

I see you have littles, but they grow fast. Heck, it may be 2 or even 3 years before you’re moved in. How old will your youngest child be then?

If you still think you need a dedicated playroom, make sure it can be easily converted to something else. Or, as someone said, just absorb that space into their bedrooms. (I would never put a playroom upstairs when the main living area, and my bedroom, was downstairs.)

• Camilla C
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Thank you all for the comments and suggestions! I have read them all multiple times and taken them into consideration and made a couple of changes best for our family.