SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gtdj519

Which shape lamp do you like best?

gtdj519
10 months ago

which style do you think is nicest? living room is in the works, not completed .

Comments (37)

• Molly D. Zone4B
    10 months ago

Hard to say without seeing where it will go….

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    10 months ago
    last modified: 10 months ago

to be honest, those lamps all look about the same. pick the shape that YOU like since any of them are interchangeable.

3,1,2 is the order I like. if you MUST pick one of those 3.

*(but really, how can we possibly comment on a lamp when we have no idea what your furniture even looks like or the style you're after? )

• Related Discussions

Which rug shape do you like with a round kitchen nook table?

Q

Comments (8)
    Here's a picture of my nook with it's still-undecorated walls. I like the square rug because it defines the space where 2 more walls would be. Extending that logic, perhaps a square rug would make your space feel too closed-in, especially if the doorway is narrow. In that case I would say go round or octagonal. The table is 48" in diameter, the chairs are smaller than today's chairs and the walls are 7 and 7.5 feet. Hope this helps.
    ...See More

Which exterior paint scheme do you like best?

Q

Comments (17)
    Anymac -- with all due respect, I like painted brick homes and I also like the whitewash/antiqued look (mainly on older homes that need a facelift). Your home appears relatively new (and beautiful) and the brick seems pristine. If the Trim/Pillars are bothering you -- why change 95% of the house? Just saying. I'd keep the brick natural (it shows off the keystones over each window) and I would just mute the brightness of the trim if that is what is bothering you. Just an alternative thought for you to consider. I agree with this. If you paint the brick( a huge mistake IMO) there is no going back .Plus you have lost countless $$ in re sale value.
    ...See More

Which bathroom window fabric do you like best?

Q

Comments (18)
    I see the product info for most of the components, but do not see any for the light and mirror other than Les suggested? Sorry if I am being dense but I usually do ok with reading:) Gorgeous selections and I love ALL the fabrics. (no help I guess?)
    ...See More

Which rug do you like best?

Q

Comments (61)
    Love the new rug, and for heaven's sake, just hang the TV and enjoy watching it! It is a nod to the notion that real people live in this room, which I find healthy and refreshing. I love how you have made this space your own with smart decor choices and a welcoming, relaxed vibe. And yes, your new rug IS to die for!!!!
    ...See More
  • gtdj519
    Original Author
    10 months ago

i know i need art, rug rug, curtain etc. i basically need everythign

room is in the works

ignore the current lamp( being returned- don‘t like it) and the multiple sample rugs . Just showing the space/ layout

• Jilly
    10 months ago

I definitely prefer #1 or 3 … a more graceful shape in your room.

• laddie903
    10 months ago

#3 is my favorite, just looking at the lamps in general.

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Thanks! i wasnt sure if 3 was too generic, but something about it is very pretty and elegant. I think it may be the longer neck. its a little taller than most gourd lamps.

1 thought was still nice as a double gourd.

and the 2nd i thought wad a unique shape, but it is a little bulkier than the others .

• njmomma
    10 months ago

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    10 months ago

how about something w/a little color or pattern instead of plain white? That gray one in the last pic is a nice color

• Yayagal
    10 months ago

Last Lamp

• decornectarinered
    10 months ago

#3 looks so great

• RedRyder
    10 months ago

Would you consider a color?

The room is getting past “neutral” and seems washed out. Are you considering rugs with a bit of color? Pillows for the sofa?

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    10 months ago

i prefer the while color. classic, clean and looks nice worh white marble fire place. the last lamp was suppose to be light blue- looked gray in person so i am sending back.

although the pics do not reflect it well, my walls are actually light blue, so i hvae color on the walls sofas are light gray, pillows are white and i have added textured light blue accent pillows. in the pics everything looks gray , but it isnt in real life

• Hope Stewart
    10 months ago

I like them all- maybe #1 the best. But I would definitely pair lamps with shades that have more color and pattern!

I love this one! (In cornflower for your space.)

• cpartist
    10 months ago

Agree you need to add hints of other colors. You can add hints of reds and other colors that read as cool versus warm. I like the lamp Hope just posted.

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    10 months ago

thanks

I like my home to coordinate/ blend , have a harmoniusu feel. I have a color palette throughout it ( light blue , gray, white white, ivory ) it is a soft, and muted pallette , but there is color. That is what I like and am comfortble being surrounded in. I like a peaceful and serene look in my home i dont care for bold/ bright/ or dark colors

i dont’ really want to add pops of random color that don’t relate to anything else or other rooms in the house. it would just feel off to me and not look right to me.

• territheresa
    10 months ago

3 and 1. 2 is too chunky

Love your entrance ceiling.

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Thanks territheresa

appreciate the input. . Yes, understand about the chunky look They are bioth heavier looking for sure. Pretty, but more heft to them in design

I am going to go with #3. , The tall height really appeals to me, they are 32 inches tall and it has a pretty elegance. I think they willl fill the room nicely st that height, as it is large living room and wide window that they will sit in front of.

hope they look as pretty in person. fingers crossed

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    10 months ago

How about a glass lamps that can be filled with something to add pattern and texture to your room.

• la_la Girl
    10 months ago

I don’t like pops of color either - when you’re closer to being done you could think about adding some purposeful texture, maybe a tall plant, something wood etc

• kl23
    10 months ago

I like the bottom one shaped like a classic flower vase. But hick one do YOU like?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    10 months ago

IMO they all look like bedroom lamps and the color palette is lovely but a bit boring do I probably would look for something with a bit of metal and a blue shade textured. I like monochromatic but then you need texture and not just one pillow

• katrina_ellen
    10 months ago

It feels a bit too safe, take some risks and mix it up a bit. I don't like unrelated pops of color either but theres contrast and variations of color, texture, pattern that can add more interest.

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    10 months ago

thank you everyone . i ordered the third one. i will answer here

i tried glass lamps. they are going on glass tables, so it really didnt look great . As for filling them, thats not really a style i care for much in my home. It is a nice suggestion, but that is a bit more coastal/ rustic to me and that doesnt fit the style of my home.

For textrue in the room, I do have the plan of adding sprigs/ branches to large vases that will sit on cabinets flanking the fireplace. I also have blue textured accent pillows that I have added to the sofas.

as for the room being boring and adding metal, i have metal and glass end tables, metal and glass coffee table. I have a wood and marble sideboard in the living room along one wall in which a decorative mirror will be hung above it. I also have a wood sofa table behind the sofa.

• Maureen
    10 months ago

I find all three feel a bit bulky for the small surface/table’s design (hard to judge proportions though).

I also think they would better suit a bedroom.

A more streamlined design would better suit the lines in the table and one with texture will add more warmth/interest and feel more modern.

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Thank you maureen !

i ordered the 3rd one . I have a 3 tier table, so it will be sitting on the too shelf, and the other shelves can be for additional items . Tha is what I liked about the tiered option, a dedicated shelf for the lamp s

• Jilly
    10 months ago

I’ve never heard of certain lamps looking more like bedroom lamps or living room lamps.

I better check mine and make sure I have the appropriate lamps in the right rooms. 😄

• bichonbabe
    10 months ago

I love a monochromatic room and have several in my home. But for them to work they have to have texture, pattern and varying shades of color. Other wise they become flat and boring. You need to pay attention to these things.

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Thank you bichonbabe.

I understand what you are saying, but its not monochromatic. I have blue walls, gray sofas, ivory window treatments, white accent pillows, blue accent pillows. Its not all gray and one color, despite how the pics make jt look that way. Color depiction is horrible on screens. Every soft, pastel, pale, or muted color looks gray. I havent even added art or decor yet, so naturally those will come and add more elemnets to the room . i think it is helpful to post pics of the space , but sometimes I am hesitant because then the post goes off topic about areas I havent touched on yet. The room is pretty barren, as it is a work in progress. And in order to make progress, I have to make decisions about each item before moving o to the next if that makes sense.

I gotta oull the trigger on items to oull this room together, or it will never move along. The disorganization of the room and lack of being put together is killing me - LOL i cant take looking at failed area rug wrappers anymore!! 🤦🏼‍♀️

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 months ago

That room is in desperate need of contrast and texture. Too much glass and steel.

Any of those shapes work but they should be tall enough to provide reading light next to the sofa.

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Again….. the room is in progress. I am concentrating on a rug and lamps at the moment.

other decor is to follow

the lamps are 32 inches tall.

thete is marble , there is a dark wood sideboard and dark wood sofa table.

there are white wooden cabinets along fireplace

I have end tables and a coffee table in glass and chrome. How is that too much? I like things to relate in a room .

I had heavy solid wood ends/ coffee table for 10 plus years. my daughters are now teens and I dont have to worry about little ones saftety with glass tables. I wanted a lighter/ softer esthetic. I have a mix of materials in the room.

• PRO
    RappArchitecture
    10 months ago

Didn't have time to read all the comments, but #3 is the most graceful shape. But the better question is what lamp do YOU like best.

gtdj519 thanked RappArchitecture
  • gtdj519
    Original Author
    10 months ago

I chose 3

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Update

the lamps arrived today. they are crisp glossy white , with a clear glass base and glass finial. . They are heavy and beautiful quality. I think thet look great in the room in progress.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    10 months ago

That is a beautiful lamp, but it looks too large for the end table. 32" is very tall for an end table lamp, usually you'd use a 26-28" tall lamp. The bottom of the shade should be at eye level when you're sitting on the sofa, so you're not looking into a bare bulb.

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Thank you diana

the lamp is at eye level. i am sitting right next to it .. LOL

the end tables are not tall they are only

24 inches high.

the end table was shorter than most average height tables, so i was able to ho taller on the lamps I am at 56 height total, which is good

they are cute tables. I love the tiers and having a shelf dedicated just for the lamp.

• Jilly
    10 months ago

I like it even better, hearing the story behind it. :)

I was trying to edit my post and accidentally deleted it. The board has been so wonky for me lately.

Love how the lamp looks. Lovely. Very you. :)

gtdj519 thanked Jilly