SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Deer and Thrips Causing Trouble Again

shive
10 months ago
last modified: 10 months ago

Despite having sprayed repellant three weeks ago, deer hit my garden two nights ago and wiped out the buds on five seedling clumps and nine registered daylilies. So I spent close to three hours spraying last night. I only saw one instance of deer chomping this morning. But now the thrip population has exploded, and many daylilies could not open properly or opened splotchy because of their damage. So tonight I'm spraying for those little buggers. It's always something.

Lonesome Jaguar ffo

Sensational Heart is one evergreen that's both tall and well-branched. I just wish the blooms didn't fade so much in the afternoon.

Minstrel Singer ffo

Browns Ferry Debutante

Mystical Intuition

No Tomorrow

Wonder of It All hasn't been this tall in years. I guess the grubs didn't eat the roots last fall. This is an evening picture.

Bill Norris clump

Lace Sampler X Victorian Lace - This peach seedling is prettier in the evening than in the mornings. During the day it takes on pink and apricot highlights and just glows in the evening sun. This photo was taken at about 10 a.m. The seedling has a 6-inch bloom on 28-inch scapes and bud counts of 13-14. Not good enough to register, but nice enough to keep a place in my garden.

Cexy Samantha X Bubblegum Delicious siblings. You can see an instant rebloom scape coming at the front of #1's fans. Although Number One looks short in this shot, it actually has 30 inch scapes this time.

Say goodbye to Integrated Logistics X Olly Olly Oxen Free. The deer ate the rest of its buds in their overnight feast.

Debra

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!