Bean sprout safety
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (13)
- 3 years ago
- 3 years agolast modified: 3 years ago
Related Discussions
Bean sprouts/alfalfa sprouts
Comments (12)I finally remembered to go by Mama Jean's today when I was in town and bought some mung beans, & chia seeds to sprout. I was excited to find Anasazi Beans which I've been wanting to try, not for sprouting, just to use in place of pintos. They're supposed to be easier to digest (less gas). I learned something. Chia seeds (as in chia pet) are a type of salvia. It said salvia hispanica underneath chia. I googled a photo of it and it doesn't look very showy but I wonder if some people grow it as an ornamental. I'm going to try some for sprouts and have enough to let my kids make a homemade chia pet too. Here is a link that might be useful: anasazi beans story...See MoreSomething is eating my newly sprouted pole beans
Comments (6)Possibly cutworms, I had this happen to me one year, one pole, 8 plants, almost to the top of the pole. All vines had been neatly cut off right where they emerged from the ground, it was cutworms in my case. Sorry I don't have a recommendation for you, most insecticides have been banned here in B.C. Maybe someone else will chime in with a solution. If planted around a pole maybe give the seedlings a collar, toilet paper tubes might work. Annette...See MorePer instruction; Multiple bean sprouts growing together
Comments (3)Should be fine. I grow lots of beans (both pole and bush) in containers, or in-ground grouped around tomato cage-sized trellises, and they don't strangle each other or anything like that. Just feed them a little extra to make up for the crowding. If these are bush beans they might shade each other a little but it shouldn't be a big deal. I'm in California 9b as well, and just FYI the backs of seed packets (I'm assuming that's where you found the directions?) aren't the best source of info for our climate, since we don't have to worry about drainage in summer and our "last frost" date has nothing to do with what time is actually good to plant. If you're in a foggier place/SF there's a great book called Golden Gate Gardening, and if you're farther south the Santa Clara County Master Gardeners have good info and a planting calendar (as does Common Ground in Palo Alto)....See MoreBean sprout experiment
Comments (4)Update: So far it's been slow growing...er...going. I think part of the problem is that I soaked the seeds for 24 hours and may have killed off a bunch. (Didn't think beans were that vulnerable) I may start over if this batch doesn't work....See More- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years agolast modified: 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years agolast modified: 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years agolast modified: 3 years agolucillle thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
Related Stories

DECORATING GUIDESBean There, Done That: Coffee Table Alternatives
Get creative with these ideas for salvaged and DIY pieces that will get people talking
Full Story
MID-ATLANTIC GARDENINGChecklist: What To Do in the Garden This Month
February Gardener: Plant sprouts, start seedlings, force bulbs, grow an orchid and more
Full Story
REGIONAL GARDEN GUIDESCalifornia Gardener’s November Checklist
Take advantage of mild weather to cross garden chores off your list, plant natives and plan for fire safety
Full Story0

GARDENING GUIDES10 Easy Edibles for First-Time Gardeners
Focus on these beginner-friendly vegetables, herbs, beans and salad greens to start a home farm with little fuss
Full Story
FARM YOUR YARDHow to Farm Your Parking Strip
Get an up-close look at a thriving street-side edible garden, one of many sprouting up in Seattle
Full Story
EDIBLE GARDENSSee What’s Growing in These Backyard Edible Gardens
Home gardeners are growing vegetables and fruit in raised beds, on arbors, on bean tripods and even in a repurposed boat
Full Story
MATERIALSMesquite: The Brawny Beauty for All Over the Home
Denser than other hardwoods and sporting beautiful coloration, mesquite makes a fine material for flooring, countertops, furniture and more
Full Story
LIFEPut Up a Screen Door! 7 Ways to Make the Most of This Weekend
Get ready for summer by swapping out that storm door and organizing your home for warmer weather
Full Story
CALIFORNIA GARDENINGCalifornia Gardener’s August Checklist
Make the most of your vegetable bounty, prioritize water use and plant perennial flowers now for color through fall
Full Story
HOUZZ TOURSMy Houzz: Renovated 1912 Farmhouse Radiates Warmth and Charm
A Russian fireplace anchors a Washington family home filled with inherited, salvaged and flea market pieces
Full Story
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9/10