SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
james_hartley75

What color grout for bathroom floor?

James
11 months ago

What color grout would you recommend? Shower wall will be a white tile, except for the left side of the shower will be a very light blue (like a waterfall as per my wife lol). Vanity will be white. Fixtures will be black. Would a stain resistant white grout be good? Or…?

Comments (36)

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

After living with tile for a long time I feel "Dirty Grout Grey" makes a lot of sense.

(personal opinion not a professional opinion)

• cpartist
    11 months ago

Do a light silver gray.

• Related Discussions

TEC Power Grout? What color grout for white subway tiles in bathroom

Q

Comments (6)
    Guest bathroom shower surround, glossy white tiles, "regular" TEC grout, 2008 I think. MB and hall bathroom tub surrounds, glossy white tiles, TEC XT grout, 2011. No issues. The XT grout doesn't require sealing, but can be, using a solvent based sealer. We have moderately hard water. We wipe down the tub surrounds with a microfiber cloth after showering (to prevent water spots on the glossy tile). I clean the bathrooms pretty much weekly. I spray the tub surrounds with 7th Generation disinfecting bathroom cleaner spray. Let sit a few minutes, and wipe dry with a microfiber cloth. Tile and grout look as they did when first installed.
    ...See More

Tiling and Grouting Bathroom floor.

Q

Comments (2)
    After you set your tile do NOT walk on it for 24 hours. You can grout it the next day. After that you can walk on the tile, but do NOT walk on the grout. I would wait another 24 hours to replace the toilet & do the trim work. Make sure you have a wax ring for your toilet.
    ...See More

Bathroom floor grout changed color

Q

Comments (1)
    looks like pigment issues and or efflorescense. Id suggest an epoxy grout colorant , black grout is always a gamble. Id lean on tech support from the grout/sealer MFG to make sure the sealer is stripped first for proper bond if needed.
    ...See More

Can I use darker grout color on a cream colored picket bathroom floor

Q

Comments (2)
    With out showing your actual materials, I'll say stick to the marching color. There are different versions of the grout you can use. Post what you were planning to use.
    ...See More
  • Dawn Martinez
    11 months ago

It's a floor, and I find that grout that is slightly darker than the tile is easier to keep clean. But you can always find a match close to the tile color and that works too. Is it gray? No to white.

• dani_m08
    11 months ago

Mapei warm gray (if it works w/ your tile - it’s a popular color) or maybe frost (not sure how light that color is). I’ve heard good things about Mapei Flexcolor CQ - it’s premixed = more expensive (but also more convenient) + it can actually stick to itself (can fix underfilled joints/pinholes/etc. without requiring removal of of exisitng grout) + has consistent color.

How is your shower waterproofed? It looks like cbu with some RedGard on seams (not sure if alkaline resistant tale was embedded in thinset prior to application of RedGard - or if RedGard was used on screws). Will RedGard be used on the rest of the cbu (walls and shower bench) prior to installing tile (or was vapor barrier added behind the cbu)?

It appears that the shower pan has already been tiled - does it have the correct slope + have a surface bonded waterproof membrane?

How is your curb being waterproofed? Currently, it appears to just be some 2x4s on the floor.

Sorry for all the extra questions - I am extra sensitive re: waterproofing issues + correct shower pan construction because my master bathroom shower had to be ripped out due to contractor not following code/TCNA guidelines. Not fun. Have a great tile professional (member of NTCA).

• millworkman
    11 months ago

"How is your curb being waterproofed? Currently, it appears to just be some 2x4s on the floor."

Should not be wood in any form and been waterproofed with the floor.

• Kendrah
    11 months ago

After three bathrooms with white tile floors and light grey grout, I’ve finally gotten smart and chosen dirty grey, nearly black grout. It ends up that color anyway so why not start there and make life less stressful?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    11 months ago

Match the tile for grout or a tiny bit darker. and the CURB to the shower should be masonry......and topped with a solid surface. NOT TILE. and no grout,

• susan49417
    11 months ago

As above.

• marmiegard_z7b
    11 months ago

I hate that dark gray with lighter tile that’s in McDonalds bathrooms and such. Looks depressing.

BUT I do like light or medium grays or beiges, depending on the tile color. A tad darker than the tile without making stark grout lines. No white.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    11 months ago

pale gray for the grout and I also am curious as to waterproofing in that shower.

• cpartist
    11 months ago

Missed about the waterproofing. That doesnt look right

• James
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Thanks everyone. Here are some of the details of the waterproofing. I’m not a pro, but I beleive it was done correctly. It was also water tested.

We’ve already commited to the one wall being blue. My wife loved the tile and had to have it on the one wall 🤷🏽‍♂️

The white subway tile has some ’waves’ in it. Not sure what its called, but its not totally flat. Maybe an antique kind of look?

• User
    11 months ago

That is a stop work, and dig into why there is no waterproofing.

• James
    Original Author
    11 months ago

They have just put something over the walls covering the water proofing system to flatten out the walls for the tiles. Most of it is covered and cant be seen now.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    11 months ago

It's a bit of a warning........

Three tiles in a small bath is overkill. Often? what you think you wanted desperately, is not at ALL what you wanted in whole.

There are a thousand trails of tears right here on Houzz for just what someone dearly believed they "wanted".

• James
    Original Author
    11 months ago

This is the blue tile

• artemis78
    11 months ago

Another vote for the "dirty grout gray" (lol!) We used Custom Building's Pewter with our white hex tile--similar to Laticrete Platinum or Mapei Pearl Gray. I think it's a perfect medium gray. We have Custom Delorean Gray in our kitchen with white subway as a backsplash; that's a lighter gray but when we tested it on the floor, it felt too light. I would absolutely test colors for everything here since you have several tiles with undertones of other colors, though. With the blue on the wall, you don't want a grout on the floor that is going to lean in a different direction (and some will!) I like the color matched caulk to test out different colors with the tile; some of the big box stores also sell small sample pots of the more popular colors. It's a worthwhile investment to be sure you get it right before you grout the whole room, especially if you're trying to marry different tiles.

• millworkman
    11 months ago

Where is this niche? It needed to be in prior to this. Where is the Denshield being installed? Red Guard does not go over Kerdi at all as Kerdi is waterproof, Denshield is not. The curb needed to be installed and waterproofed along with the pan system, not after, and NO WOOD.

• artemis78
    11 months ago

Not sure where people are seeing wood--that looks like a standard Kerdi pre-fab shower curb. I assume the niches go where they've outlined the spaces on the Denshield. Assuming they put the niches in before they put up what sounds like a membrane, that may be okay, if they followed the instructions to seam it to the Kerdi. If you take photos of what's there now, that may help clarify what's going on.

• James
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Here is a picture before the walls were flattened. There is no wood. The niche will go on the right but has not been cutout yet

• James
    Original Author
    11 months ago

I beleive the denshield was installed under the orange kerdi

• susan49417
    11 months ago

So, if I understand correctly you will end up with 4 different types of tile: one shower wall of the blue tile, white tiles on other walls, a shower floor tile and then a floor tile that is yet again different. This in addition to what may be concerning waterproofing issues is what is known as "a hot mess". Rethink those choices now.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    11 months ago

As just above. ........

Please rethink ! We can't stop you. But a re do would be a first world "tragedy"..

It's just too much, It is truly not necessary for a really great looking bath.

Lay out all the materials in one picture. Wavy white wall tile, the light blue, the floor.......the shower floor tile, and post it.

We ALL understand you simply asked on a grout color. We get that this may even annoy you.....the bombard of other questions. Please just do it? : ) Before it is "cement" to the walls and floor.

• James
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Really? Isn’t kerdi and denshield a pretty standard way to waterproof a shower?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    11 months ago

I like the Gray hex tile for the floor.

for the wall tile, I'd do the whole thing in the blue tile. mixing the two diff types of blue/white tile seems odd. (and what is that other large gray tile?)

what if you did the shower tile like this? I notice you don't have a niche inset in the walls?

Or, this one seems to go w/your colors. This is the cloe tile, which I think is what you've chosen?

this is the Cloe in the dark blue, shown w/the white hex mosaic. do you like this layout? Instead the diff white subway, what if you copied the white squares on left/right walls, did the blue on the back wall?

Here's one w/a bench. (what are you plans for the bench as far as tile? what about the curb?)

Here's the Cloe tile done in a vertical stack (horrible corners though. don't do this) They did a solid piece on the top of the bench (good idea. have you thought about what you're using?)

Notice the smaller and larger hex tiles for the floors, as well as a solid piece for the curb top

This tile selection is another option you could do if you want to use the white subway.

Just make sure the white and the blue subways are the same tile, diff colors.

These are same brand tiles, in diff colors. If you want to mix, I'd suggest doing the back wall in the blue and the side walls in the white. but they should be the same tile.

This is a mix of 3 diff tiles, but they work well together. maybe try something like this?

This is a shower w/blue subway tile I did for someone. he wanted more of a modern look so that's why the blue tile is in a stack-set layout

Porcelain herringbone mosaic on the shower floor, a solid piece of charcoal quartz for the curb, and a charcoal large tile on the outside floor. all tile got the same gray grout color

Do the Mapei Flexcolor CQ grout. it's stain resistant.

for my shower I used the Warm Gray. it's the perfect shade for your tile choice

so here's the tile you're doing,,

I think it would be very pretty if you did the rest of the bathroom like this.

If you can't do the blue vanity, then think about doing a soft blue wall to work w/the tile. do the white hex, the gold hardware (not the black) bring in some natural wood like they did here w/the mirror, and I really like this quartz countertop.

• artemis78
    11 months ago

@James it is, but I think Kerdi may not warranty it if you don't use their system throughout. We used a different waterproofing system (Kerdi competitor) but because their wall panels were months out of stock during the pandemic, we had to get it in writing that we could use cement board following their seaming instructions for the installation to still be under warranty. (Of course then our GC didn't follow the instructions so the whole thing became moot anyway, but that's a story for another day...) That said, they had some clear and straightforward instructions to attach the cement board and did not seem concerned about it provided the steps were followed. I imagine Kerdi has similar guidance since people certainly do use their curbs and pans without doing Kerdi for the entire shower.

• cpartist
    11 months ago

The pros here are telling you that you'll possibly have issues with your waterproofing. I would listen to them.

• dani_m08
    11 months ago

@James - If the tile your wide wants to use shown above is Bedrosian Cloe Baby Blue tile (or Equipe Artisan Aqua - same exact tile - Equipe makes it for Bedrosian + a few other retailers) - you REALLY need to purchase a box of the tile and see what it looks like in your space.

The first two showers shown by @Beth H. : above are actually both Cloe Baby Blue. I have this tile - fell in love with it when I first saw this photo on Equipe Ceramicas’ website:

However, the bathroom I was originally planning on using this for does NOT have any natural light. While the tile was still pretty, it did not look like the above with only artificial light.

All of these are the same tile:

Also, it changes colors depending upon the exposure (west/south/east/north) + time of day. These two photos are the same shower - has two showerheads on opposite walls:

The color shifts between blue and green depending on where it’s installed.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    11 months ago

the grout in those last two pics would be exactly the same as Warm Gray.

• dani_m08
    11 months ago

It is a beautiful tile - it’s very hard to capture what the color looks like in real life vs. in photos. Photos make the tile look like it has more variation than how it looks in person - but it is a V4 variation tile.

probably overkill - but just wanted you to know.

You can purchase it on Amazon/Walmart/Lowe’s with free shipping + free returns so you can see what a box will look like in your bathroom.

• James
    Original Author
    11 months ago

A better picture of the current status. Based on the overwhelming response we might leave out the blue on the left wall and just use the white

• lavender12145
    11 months ago

Just had this done in our guest bed / mil’s bathroom. I chose light colored grey grout because to me dark looks dirty right from the beginning.

• artemis78
    11 months ago

If that's the blue tile in the back corner of the most recent shot, then yes, I'd definitely skip it--it doesn't look like it coordinates well with the tile floor in the shower. I think you can potentially pull off a set of three tiles in the shower that work together even if they aren't perfect with the floor outside the shower because you'll have glass in between, but inside the shower they definitely have to work together. We do have four different tiles in a small bathroom and (at least IMO!) it works, but they had to be very carefully coordinated (and then further coordinated with the marble that was used for the curb top since the undertones on that had to match too--spent weeks finding the right stone for that). They are also all solid colors, which helped a lot. I think the more variation there is in the individual tiles, the harder it is to pull off.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    11 months ago

Definitely no blue. White !!! grout on the walls.

Its already a case of ...well........it is what it is.

Not going to lie. Pairing bath floor , shower floor, and wall tile in showers is always a challenge.

Just ONE of the reasons a repeat of floor tile on the shower walls helps immensely.

Or a strong difference in proportions, especially when mixing shapes.... very successful below

• James
    11 months ago

Oh no that bad? We agonized over this for so long. I think we are going to leave out the blue tile. And used warm gray grout. At this point, anything else you’d change?