SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amylou321

Car wreck update/vent

amylou321
10 months ago

Some of you may remember that I was in a wreck back in February. A car turned in front of me, and despite slamming on my brakes and pulling my emergency brake, I still could not avoid hitting her. If I had TRIED to avoid her by swerving away I would have gone head first into heavy oncoming traffic. It was HER fault. When I first contacted her insurance for them to fix my car, they informed me that according to HER story, they had 0% liability and would not be fixing my car. I sent them a copy of the police report, which clearly states it was her fault, and after a week of no response, I contacted a lawyer. My lawyer assured me that this was an easy case as they were clearly liable for it and told me not to worry. Got an update that they accepted liability and they were just working out numbers.

Well, I got a call from my lawyer a few days ago. NOW Geico is asserting that while their customer is MOSTLY liable, I am too somehow. They suggested that I am somehow 20% liable for the wreck, and their customer is 80% liable. That is insanity, and I have no clue what their problem is. I asked WHAT part they think I am responsible for. My lawyer says that he thinks they are going to say that I could have somehow maneuvered around to avoid her. I could not have. If I could have without driving into another wreck, I would have. So now I am MAD.

I imagine that they are hoping it goes to trial and they call their customer as a witness, and as she is close to 90 years old, those deciding the case will take pity on her. My lawyer told me the only way to get what I am owed is to file suit. So I agreed. I was so upset I did not even ask how long it will take for the whole process. I am so SICK of this! I HATE when people or companies REFUSE to do the right thing!

Since traffic was so heavy that day and several people stopped to ask if I was okay and comment on how reckless that woman was to do that, I am thinking of posting on Nextdoor, explaining the situation and asking if anyone who saw what happened would be willing to give a statement to my lawyer. I shouldn't need anyone, The accident report clearly state it was her fault.

SO bought me another used car that will be here next weekend, and he fixed my little SUV so I have been driving that, so its not like I am hurting for transportation. But STILL, imagine if that was my only car. Can you imagine the cost of a rental car for 3 and a half months?!?!?

Has anyone had to file a lawsuit for such a case? How long did it take to conclude? I am OVER this!

Comments (27)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer