SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annegriet

Awful smoker next door

Annegriet
10 months ago

My long-time neighbor was a chain smoker. She smoked after breast cancer and all through ovarian and bone cancer . It was awful. It killed her. It made it IMPOSSIBLE for me to enjoy my patio. We live in a side-by-side, twin, demi-detached--whatever you call it in your neck of the woods. I had a 3 year run of it enjoying clean fresh air, having my coffee out there with the dog (we do love our Mommy and Me time), having meals out there, napping, and reading.

Now the husband has a chain smoker girlfriend and I want to pull out all my hair. It's makes me physically ill--the smell. I hate it. I'm already kinda homebound taking care of an elderly parent and this makes me want to cry.

Is it rude if I ask her to smoke on the side of the house or somewhere else when I am out there first? I'm trying to be fair. Other things I've considered:

• several huge ginormous fans that blow onto their patio to keep their smoke away
  • buying a huge umbrella for the side of my house to get out of their way but that doesn't seem fair either

Comments (34)