SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_858647138

morning glory trepidations

rosaprimula
12 months ago
last modified: 12 months ago

Almost as an afterthought, I added a tiny ipomea leptophylla to a recent plant order...and only now decided to do a bit of research. The common name 'manroot' stopped me in my tracks as horrible memories of another ipomea, with a similar name (man under ground) surfaced with horrible foreboding. This beast was in a customers garden and was always referred to a fiddle leaf ipomea...until they decided it was eating the entire fenceline and wanted rid. I was still being puritannical about herbicides back then so hopefully began to dig, following the roots...forever. We never reached the famous 'man'...a massive tuber, but I have dug out enough bryony in my time to shudder whenever 'giant tuber' gets a mention. And lo, the first thing I read regarding my new 2inch shrublet is 'makes a massive tuber'. Should I toss this future headache now or has anyone grown bush mallow and can reassure me that I am not going to be digging to Australia if it all goes terribly wrong.

I have often been tempted by campsis radicans but fortunately, the anguished posts on GW have always stayed my hand. Hoping this little MG remains mannerly.

Comments (13)