SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidrt28

What weedy grass is this?

davidrt28 (zone 7)
12 months ago

I mostly completed the massive drainage project I started in the spring of 2022. https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6262024/crazy-idea-for-trenching-excavation

However after digging over 500 ft. of trenches, for another part of the garden, I decided to hire an excavator for another 200 ft. I just didn't feel like bothering with. He did a pretty good job, but to 'help me out', he spread hay in a section where a large section of lawn was left bare. Some small sprouts were noticed in the fall - I just assumed it was an annual grass I wouldn't need to worry about.

Nope. It was definitely something perennial. In the spring some kind of weedy grass or crop started growing VERY fast, rocketing above the rough mix of tall fescue, fine fescue, and Poa trivialis that makes up my lawn. Can anybody ID it for sure? My googling isn't giving me anything definitive. Wheat?

Once I know what it is, I can figure out how to control it. I have a bad feeling I might need to zap the entire area and start over with sod.

(I include the top and bottom of a stem. It grows at least 3 times faster than my lawn so is already 12-14" high. I cut my lawn at the highest setting and infrequently...as people should. Leave the putting greens to the golf courses, people!)

Comments (3)