SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jason_carlton26

Companion to Black Diamond crape myrtle

I have this tree in my back yard:

That's not the actual tree, mine barely has any leaves yet. I just downloaded the pic from here:

https://www.taylorsnursery.com/plant/Lagerstroemia-Black-Diamond-Mystic-Magenta

Mine is 7, maybe 8' tall, and the mature height is 10-12'. About 4-5' to the South is my back deck, about 10' to the North is a stone walkway, and that walkway circles around the tree so that it's also about 5' to the West of the tree.

I currently have a large area of irises, canna lilies, and crocosmia (aka montbretia, aka coppertips) to the East of the tree, and row of Siberian irises to the East followed by a few Foxglove before you get to the walkway.

I'm not sure if it's considered part sun or full sun. The house and deck provide some dense shade, so during the Summer it really has a line where it goes from dense shade straight into full sun! So I guess it really depends on the time of year.

There's an impact sprinkler nearby, and I run it for 20 minutes once per week. I can change that if necessary, though.

I've never liked the garden of bulb flowers, and I really want to take it all out and do something different. Voles ruin the flowers every year >:-(

Instead, I'm thinking about putting in maybe two shrubs or bushes to the West of the tree, then maybe a few small patches of flowers and sedum.

The question is, what kind of shrubs / bushes?

Considering the height of the crape myrtle, I'm thinking, maybe one shrub that maxes out at around 5-6' tall, and then a second one that's closer to 3-4' tall. Since the crape myrtle is deciduous, I think that at least the middle shrub needs to be evergreen.

I've been using a LOT of camellia's and azaleas elsewhere, and I keep thinking that would be the best choice here, too! LOL But I'm totally open to suggestions.

Comments (12)