SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
schmoopiepiepies

What options do I have for designing a kitchen besides an architect?

I will preface this by saying I have zero remodeling experience, so maybe I don't know what I'm getting into.

I have a small, square kitchen, approximately 15 ft by 12 ft. It needs to be remodeled, but I don't think it's a massive undertaking. None of the walls need to be moved or removed. There are no window or door changes involved. It's basically a reconfiguration of the existing space.

I already have a general contractor who will do the work. I just need help with the design. I have a general idea in my head of how I would like the layout to be, what appliances I want, and the types of cabinet and flooring that I like.

I got a quote from an architect for the design of the kitchen for almost $10,000. To me, that seems excessive and over the top for a relatively straightforward project. I was expecting to pay about half of that. I am willing to pay about half of that (or less).

What are my options for kitchen design besides to an architect? I tried to book consults with the kitchen designers at cabinets.com and Ikea because I'm genuinely interested in those options, but the companies won't talk to me unless the kitchen is in the current configuration for cabinets, which mine is not. My vision is to move the appliances to different locations within the existing footprint of the kitchen.

I can draw a basic layout of how I'd like the kitchen to look that is the extent of what I am able to do. It seems like companies won't talk to me until either I have professional drawings or I'm doing a simple facelift and reconfiguring my kitchen in the same exact way. But I only want to make relatively small changes and am not changing anything structural. What would you recommend?

Comments (14)