SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
angela_smith7792

I think we made a big kitchen design error and I'm just beside myself

Angela Smith
6 years ago

We are first time home builders, building a semi-custom home (2,000 sq ft ranch). Spent months tweaking and revising our plan. Broke ground July 5th. The house has the foundation complete, framed, windows/doors are in, siding is on, and all rough electrical/plumbing/HVAC are in. We were there over the weekend measuring some spaces and noticed that the dinette area where our kitchen table will go is tight. REALLY TIGHT. It *looked* like enough room on the plan but in real life, it is smaller than we imagined. I guess we did not properly calculate the clearance around the island that goes into the dinette space (we have a large center island with a dinette to the side - no formal dining room). It measures exactly per the plan (10' 3").

At this point, due to where we are at in construction and the fact that we are not willing to pay the thousands extra it would cost to bump out the dinette, re-frame and re-side, I think we are going to have to live with it by selecting a smaller dinette table. We had hoped for one with 6 chairs, but I highly doubt that will work. I think we're looking at a max. 36" wide table with 4 chairs (or 2 chairs and a bench). Unless anyone has any other ideas that I have not thought of? I just discovered the Houzz forums; otherwise, I would have had you smarty people look at the layout first.

I know, I know ... this is a total FIRST WORLD PROBLEM! I am grateful we have the opportunity to build a house. But it's my problem and it's fresh & new :(

Comments (22)