SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scott_jacoby89

Can I use an extension cord to power a plugmold?

Scott Jacoby
12 months ago
last modified: 12 months ago

I'm looking to electrify my 16x10 shed to use as a small workshop. Most of my tools are battery powered but I have a few plug-in tools. I don't plan on living in my house for more than a couple of years at this moment, so I don't want to go all out and spend the money to actually wire it for electric. I'm content with running an extension cord from an exterior outlet on the house to the shed (unplugging and putting it away when I'm not working in the shed, of course). That being said, having multiple outlets spaced out around the shed would be very helpful so I don't have to unplug and replug my tools at different areas of the shed. I had the thought of installing a plugmold or two in the shed, but can those be hooked up to an extension cord? I would basically use it like a larger, more spaced out, power strip/surge protector. A quick google search yielded no results and I couldn't find any info on the packaging of the plugmold or that it even had a plug connected to it when I was browsing in Lowes.

For added context, my plug-in tools are my miter saw, my router, and my shop vac that I use for dust collection/filtration.

Comments (8)