SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mhorseman

Accent color cohesion throughout house or switch/lighten it up?

Monica Horseman
last year
last modified: last year

I’ve begun painting accent colors and bold paint choices throughout our house and wanting to add a few more but need advice: is it okay to use the same or similar bold paint color or do I need to lighten the tone or switch color? They are all cohesive with each other but the last thing I want is to walk in a room and think “oh, here is that same bold color again…”.

For example, our fireplace is painted in Kendall Charcoal for a dramatic contrast and the upstairs bonus room accent wall also in KC. Neighboring playroom in two tone white with lower half KC. My mostly separate dining room is a deep blue -Caligraphy - and my small kitchen island is an even deeper blue - Poppy Seed. I want to paint the dated hutch in my kitchen perhaps the same color combo as separate my office bookcases (that include Gauntlet Gray which is similar to the KC in the living room) but is that too much of that charcoal gray? I’d also love to add some drama to my powder bath by painting the ceiling deep blue as well, but again, is that too much of the same bold color used in the dining room and kitchen island? Should I be moving to a lighter maybe green blue to incorporate another color variation?

Pictures of some of my colors here and there and my swatches throughout the house. Note: I have NOT settled on a whole house color but it will be in the creamy white category.

Is there a rule of thumb say, no more then 3 uses of the same bold color? Any tips greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Comment