SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eaw0915

Struggling with Small Primary Bath Remodel Selections

eaw 513
last year

Hi Houzzers, we are getting ready to remodel our dilapidated primary bathroom; the glass shower stall door fell off of the track and the track partially detached from the wall about 18 months ago so it's well overdue for renovation. The spaces are very small and I am struggling with proportion, particularly for vanity mirrors.

There are two 5'x5' adjoining spaces; the first is open to the bedroom and houses a 60" vanity alcove and the second houses the minuscule shower and toilet along with a big window. We already have a 60" floating walnut vanity with two oval undermount sinks purchased and sitting in our living room (shades of the huge kitchen/laundry/powder room reno we finished last year). Our contractor is going to cheat the vanity into the alcove by reducing the depth of the right side wall so the overall space will be between 61 and 62 inches wide. Soffit is going and ceilings are only 8 feet so with a counter height of 34" it leaves about 62" to the new ceiling.

I just returned two 24 x 36 rectangular mirrors with black metal trim and rounded corners because they looked so large in the space but the new 20 x 30 replacements look puny. I don't think that I have enough room for round and also liked the pill shape but it's the same set of sizes. The wall above the vanity is getting tiled to the ceiling so I'm not fond of doing one big mirror. The sink edges are about 4" from the left and right sides of the countertop so not lots of room on the side to play with.

The style will lean toward mid century modern. Tile selection is in process but the Daltile contenders for walls and floor follow. Fireclay is working on a rendering using a 1x6 mosaic sheet in green or grey with their Chaine Homme (H shaped) in the same color for the shower niche which will be the full length of the long wall of the shower.

I am looking at putting a sconce on each side wall and will have can lighting above and centered on each sink. The alcove also sits on an outside wall and plumbing has to come up through the floor so pipes will be boxed and then painted and not tiled to not call attention to it.

I've attached info about the space and some pictures. Note that the door between vanity and shower alcove will be replaced with a pocket door and space behind shower harvested from hall closet to expand shower to 40" deep by about 57" wide. I will also post vanity, potential tile, and potential faucet.

My questions are twofold:

1. What size/shape mirror would you recommend?

2. Side wall sconces or one larger sconce in between 2 mirrors?

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH