SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andy_johnson34

Home office tech set-up - what would you do?

Andy Johnson
last year
last modified: last year

Hi everyone,

I was given a new monitor that I'd like to add to my set-up, which is already a little convoluted. I'd be very grateful for people's opinions (there's no right or wrong) on the optimal set-up i.e., how would you do it? I'm not particularly keen on spending hundreds of dollars on high-end KVM switches, and other such devices. Hoping to not spend more than $50.

Attached pic shows the current set-up, as well as one option for placing the new screen. It could go anywhere though, I'm flexible. A few considerations when reviewing:

- I like the MacBook Pro as my primary screen as it's the best quality monitor (albeit smaller)

- One laptop (Computer #1) has a broken screen, so it can only be used with a monitor

- Computer #2 is my primary work computer, Computer #1 is a back-up personal one rarely used

- In terms of peripherals, I have a basic KVM switch that enables the two computers to Screen #1. Doesn't enable dual screen though.

- Keyboard and mouse are wireless, and don't work with the existing KVM switch, so I have to move the USB dongle for them to the other computer when I use it.

Ideally I can share all peripherals across the two computers i.e., have one keyboard and mouse, without having to switch the dongle, and enable the primary computer (Computer #2) to utilize all three screens. I'm fine with the secondary (Computer #1) only using one screen.

Hopefully the above is clear (with the pic)... probably not though.

Comment (1)