SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fatcatz

Need help finding a floor color for kitchen with orange-y cabinets

fatcatz
last year

We're refinishing floors on the first floor of our house, which is only 3 rooms: kitchen, LR, DR. We think that the kitchen floor is red oak, and the other rooms are white oak. The colors we gravitate too are cool tones, medium - medium/dark browns. For example - Minwax Dark Walnut; DW-Ebony mix, DW-Ebony-Classic Gray mix, Varathane Espresso (all ideas we poached from photos). Minwax Aged Barrel and DuraSeal Heritage Brown also look nice, but aren't available in sample sizes.

The problem is that the kitchen cabinets are orange-y (though the wood itself is beautiful). The many photos i've looked at show cabinets and floors matching, or at least in the same color family, similar to what we have now. We'd like the same color in all three rooms and prefer it not to be in the yellow/orange/red family. But I'm having trouble visualizing our kitchen with one of the floor stains mentioned above. I'd really appreciate any suggestions. Do you think the dark browns we're looking at would look ok in the kitchen? What other stains/colors should we consider? Thank you!

Comments (9)