SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katyajini

My Mizuna and Chijimisai seedlings are dying, why?

katyajini
last year

I am starting the seeds indoors in little cups. The seeds germinate very quickly at room temperature into robust seedlings. But then within a few days they start growing backwards. First the cotyledons then any new leaves shrivel and dry (not rot) and eventually the seedling kind of just fades away. I am not able to give a good pictorial representation but the situation is mortifying. I have started over and over trying this and that, it happens every time and I cant solve the problem.

I thought and tried the following:

1) Too strong lighting? The leaves looked like they may be scorching and these are cool weather crops. Raised the lights higher above the seedlings.

2) Too many hours of light? Reduced from 16 to 12 hours.

3) Room too warm? Turned off the heat lamp. My setup is in a spare bathroom.

None of these measures helped at all. Raising the lights seems to make the kale seedlings, which I am growing alongside, more floppy.

Could it be the growing mix? It is a 1:1 mix of coco coir and promix moisture potting mix plus a little perlite. All my other seedlings are thriving in this. I have been using about 1/2 tsp fish emulsion + 1/2 tsp seaweed extract per gallon as my water throughout. Should I be using straight water instead?

What is going wrong??? What am I doing wrong??? Please suggest something so that I am able to grow these greens.

Thanks a million times!

Healthy seedlings:

Then shriveling, drying and dying:

Comments (7)