SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Update - Check in if you've had a broken toe(s) before

Oakley
last year
last modified: last year

I couldn't take it anymore so DH took me to the doctor. The foot today looks horrid, bruising spread like crazy, and over half of the bottom & top of foot is bruised. Bad pain, stinging and burning.

Doctor took one look & said it appears to be multiple fractures. The red spot never bled but is now black and crusted, and very painful to the touch & shaped like it hit the edge of a railroad tie. lol

X-rays showed no fractures. He said the red spot is where I broke a blood vessel which caused the swelling and bruising. Got a tetanus shot, tall boot which is a danger within itself, and have to keep elevating and staying off the foot. Watching for an infection at the spot.

Cons: I hurt

Pro's: I've lost 20 pounds again and got some good pain meds. 😜 My doctor is very stingy in prescribing those.

WARNING!! GRAPHIC PICTURES BELOW, GET OUT NOW WHILE YOU CAN!

In my 30's while playing soccer I broke my big toe in two places, went to the ER, all they could do was tape it. The pain was debilitating. Comments under the pictures.

The doctor and I are working on getting rid of that stubborn fungus on my big toe. It's clean too. :)

This morning my little escape artist Pepper, ran out the back door when DH was letting the dogs inside. I couldn't find her & then I heard her little meow, and found her at the top of a full grown oak tree. As I was walking towards the tree to coax her down, I had a misstep over a railroad tie. DH made a really nice gathering area and enlarged the fence in the back yard, but he neglected to tell me that there are flat bricks under some of the ties and they stick out on the other side. When I stepped over the tie I somehow stepped on the edge of the brick and fell face down with the left foot turned at an angle but not broken.

I immediately knew I did something to my foot and not the typical sprained ankle either. For those of you who read the topic I did about DH falling not once, but twice, and broke his rib & collapsed lung during his bout with Covid, this may sound familiar. His snarky comment after his tending to me was "At least you didn't have to call an ambulance."

While on my stomach the pain was so bad I couldn't move. I was crying and calling out for DH to help me, which did coax Pepper to come down the tree. He didn't hear me. I let the foot rest and managed to crawl over that da#n RR tie, and was able to stand up and put a little weight on it and go inside.

BTW, I'm wating to see if I need to go to the doctor, if it gets worse you can bet I'll go. I did immediately soak the foot in cold water.

Picture #1. The red spot is the impact area. There's small swelling around it. No bleeding at all, and it's smoothe. DS thinks I must have hit a blood vessel. I have no idea. When I stand up after resting with no pain, the area burns like crazy, then goes away. Looking at the top of the toes I couldn't see they were bruised until I took a picture.

Picture #2. This one blew me away at the amount of bruising under the toes, it's also swollen in the area below the toes.

When I broke my toe the pain was so bad DH gave me some shots of whiskey along with Tylenol. Didn't help. I can't take ibuprophen so I've taken Tylenol and it helps, the toes do ache though. I can put more pressure on my foot but have to limp because of the toes. When I bend the toes by hand, they hurt like heck.

Tell me Houzz Doctors, do you think I broke a toe, or not?

I could have a hairline fracture on one of the foot bones, so that's why I'm asking if you think its a broken toe or two. Maybe three. :) A friend of mine did the same thing, and didn't think she broke anything either until a week or two later it just kept getting worse. She had a small fracture in her foot, not the toes.

Comments (52)