SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
garzita

Help with backyard design

garzita
last year

Hello,
I’d love opinions on the 3D design for my future backyard project. At the moment it is only soil and weeds. It is in California, zone 9b, facing west and it measures 65 x 38 feet. As you can see in the design, I’d like a covered area with a bbq and a table for six (already have a rectangular table), a seating area (would be nice to have a fire pit in the middle but I have small children), a Playset (the area for it would be about 19x20, including security perimeter) and a paved area where an elevated pool (8x6 feet) would go in the summer. Also, in front of the play set and against the fence, I’d like to plant a lemon tree and another fruit tree but not sure which one yet. I have no idea of the area size I need for this.

My husband created the 3D design but we feel that we probably aren’t utilizing the space very efficiently. For example, the adult area on the left seems a bit crowded, and the entry from the side (marked in red) seems in conflict with the seating area. Also, with two little kids we really want to have a big grassy area for them to run.

There is a sloped area of about 3 feet wide at the feet of the back fence (see pictures). We feel that this is wasted space so we want to put a retaining wall. First option is to build the wall against the fence and plant privacy trees in front of it. Second option is to build the wall separated from the fence and plant the trees inside the retaining wall adding height to the trees. We are thinking about planting cypress trees.

I’d love to hear and see your opinions/ideas!

Comments (6)