SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thebrucemac

Please help! Island pendant lighting design advice and math check...

Bruce Mac
last year
last modified: last year

Have read through what I could find on this forum as well as other articles online. We're remodeling our kitchen and have been trying to figure out pendant lighting.

We really like this schoolhouse pendant from PB in bronze.

Ceilings are 9ft. Our island will be 9ft x 36in (may grow slightly to 112" x 36") and we think we want (3) of the large shade version of this light, which is 11in wide at it's widest point. Would you go 3, or would you go 2? We aren't super interested in looking at wider/larger pendants.

Our kitchen is U-shaped, no sink on the island and the line of sight to hood will not be obstructed.

If my math is correct, we'd hang middle on center at 54", allow for ~24" between lights and still be in from countertop edge by at least ~12". We could also easily bring the outside two lights in to match distance from edge to distance between lights.

If you round up each light to 12" and subtract 12" x 3 from 108, you get 72". Subtract 24" x 2 for space between lights from 72" you get 24". Divide 24" by 2 and you get 12", which would be 12" in from counter edge. Is this correct?

FWIW, bulbs will be Philips Hue, so we'll have full control over color temperature and brightness. We will also have Hue gradient lighting (diffused) under the upper cabinets on both sides of the kitchen and 9 recessed cans.

What would you do? Are we wrong for wanting to go with 3 of these? I'm getting conflicting opinions.

Thank you in advance for guidance and/or feedback.

Comment (1)