SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
coliver2s

Pendant lighting over island

coliver2s
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

HELP! We are building a house and doing a 9 ft 6 inch kitchen island. I have the pendants I want but am torn between 2 or 3. I Def want the pendants to be a statement....and our ceilings are 11 feet tall. These pendants are 24 inches tall and 16 inches wide. Thank you so much in advance!

Comments (27)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

I like odd #s so normally I would do 3 but it really depends on the fixtures sometimes could you post pics of the space and the fixtures they seem to be a good size .

coliver2s thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • PRO
    Door Corner
    4 years ago

Personally, I would go with (3) - you can put them on dimmers to control the amount of light. The more the merrier I say!

coliver2s thanked Door Corner
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

You have a 114 inch island. Three pendants at 16 width is 48 inches of that 114. leaving leaving 66 inches of open space, divided four ways, as you need space at ends and between the lights. A little tight for your chosen pendant, ( 16.5 ) so in this case TWO please: ) With the bottom edge of the lights set in 22 inches from counter ENDS......you will have 38 inches center between them bottom edge to bottom edge and a pretty proportion.. Each mounting box set in 32 inches from island edge. Even 18 inches width for two is very nice here, depending style, open or closed for example

So in the end its.....math. the style, and if you've a sink in the island. ...........and preferences.

My personal favorite is a LINEAR light over an island. In this case about 48 inches.

coliver2s thanked JAN MOYER
  • coliver2s
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This is the light if that helps:)

• coliver2s
    Original Author
    4 years ago

And here is the space. It is still very much under construction but I tried to draw out the island. There are two pendants that I have sat that for a visual. The island is 9 ft 6 inches by 5 feet wide.

• Susan Murin
    4 years ago

My island is 120 and I have 2 larger pendants and it looks and lights great (also have cans over the four corners of the island). I think 3 will look too busy.

coliver2s thanked Susan Murin
  • coliver2s
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you! Would you mind posting a photo of your island with pendants for a visual?

• chocolatebunny123
    4 years ago

Not a pro but I too think 3 will look too busy. While I'm always for more light, I think in your case given the size of the pendant 2 will look best.

coliver2s thanked chocolatebunny123
  • salonva
    4 years ago

the visual @JAN MOYER provided is very helpful. I a trying to decide for a smaller island ( 5 feet) if I got a linear one what size would make sense. I suppose 2 small ones coud work.

I like the open lantern style without glass for practicality. In my last kitchen I Had 2 mini pendants with amber glass and that worked well. I think the island there was 4 feet

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

A five foot island can not take more than two, and 12 inch width is max . A 36 Inch linear works better and often will provide much more light. Linear lanterns abound. 39" below with eight light!s,

two finishes. still 11 inches either end will be open space. !

At thirty inches.........

https://www.lightingnewyork.com/product/visual-comfort-e-f-chapman-darlana-island-lighting-chc2168pn.html?utm_source=LNYShopping&utm_medium=PLA&utm_campaign=Visual%20Comfort%20%26%20Co.&utm_content=Ceiling%20Lights%20%3E%20Island%20Lights&utm_term=CHC2168PN&vip=XPX5UWXY&gclid=Cj0KCQiAoIPvBRDgARIsAHsCw097-YYfPFY5A6yzjQGSjg-515pyQme2T6saP0TAZd5ZnLeEKymSaAEaAmO0EALw_wcB

• salonva
    4 years ago

thank you so much Jan- I was trying to get a guideline of dimensions. I definitely agree that 2 would be the max- I was trying to visualize the single linear and your suggestions of 30 inch (and that they exist lol) is super helpful.

• coliver2s
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@JAN MOYER Thank you so much for the visual. If you were going to put 3 of these pendants over my 9 ft 6 inch island how would you space them apart? I am asking because my builder already wired for 3 lights and I have already purchased these I attached above. My heart is pretty set on this pendant light so if I have to put 3 of them up how would that look?

• smitrovich
    4 years ago

Those pendants are quite large, so installing 3 is probably too much. I agree with others, that 2 would work better. If you have to do 3, you might consider returning the fixtures and getting something smaller. But, if you really want these pendants, have the electrical adjusted.

Here's your pendant over a similar sized island. Two pendants work great.

coliver2s thanked smitrovich
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

At coliver

I wouldn't put three. That is the point. If you want three of something? Select another fixture!

Because....once you have three boxes? Yeah, you are stuck or you "kill" one and repair the ceiling.

At 24 inches height, before chain? Even with an eleven foot ceiling they ARE a statement.

Frankly, given the lantern look is plentiful? It is their style/finish that makes them that now.. Not the "look" that we are all so familiar with. Maybe change it up a bit. Shape or finish. all below are on Circa lighting, all are Visual Comfort, and all are size appropriate. FOR TWO. Multiple finishes on all.

Or solve the problem with a single linear 54 wide, and 25" h , also circa. Remember that height, does not include chain and mount. You have a lovely proportion over the island, 25/50/25 ..........and a statement. Yes, multiple finishes.

• Susan Murin
    4 years ago

Here you go. And just for grins, the before pic!

• coliver2s
    Original Author
    4 years ago

wow susan!!! that looks gorgeous!!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

Very nice above. There are TWO.

• User
    4 years ago

This is why I always have the electrician run the supply wires in the ceiling, with plenty of slack. We wait until after the drywall is done to cut the holes and use remodel boxes. People can’t visualize. Even when you draw them diagrams.

Or, do an actual real completed DESIGN from the beginning, with all choices measured and specified, and SET. Instead of winging it without the ability to visualize. Design BEFORE you do any demolition or building anything. Then the boxes and lights go where they need to go with no angst.

coliver2s thanked User
  • coliver2s
    Original Author
    4 years ago

thats a great idea that you do that mackdolan.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

It's why people get designers too : )

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

In answer to your question? Three is EXACTLY THIS. Crowded. I might add a bit cluttered in feel as well.

All STARS need room to shine. But iit is your home and yours to do with as you like

• User
    4 years ago

Candelabra bulbs like that mostly provide decorative accent lighting. Not bright work lighting. And they’ll put shadows on your work surface too from the light frame. You still need to have enough light from recessed lights whose overlapping beams puts light onto your work surface. With no weird shadows.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

The best pendants force light down onto the surface. : ) via solid shades . Lanterns are very diffused lighting no matter the bulb. Edison bulbs top the "ineffective" list

• salonva
    4 years ago

always helpful @JAN MOYER. I will take that into consideration. I was liking the lantern lights for NOT having glass to have to clean or tight access when changing bulbs.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

To force light down onto the counter? The shade must be opaque. Clear glass will still disperse light widely. In other words, the bulb needs a "hat" lol

• likestonehomes
    3 years ago

^^^Jan, thanks so much. Didn’t know about clear glass shades. Just looking at lighting, it will be a real challenge. I will start my own thread, hopefully you will chime in.