SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
a1an

Grafted Roses - Who has New Canes from Soil line Coming Up

a1an
last year

I did a survery......and heres an example. One one grafted rose, it probably came with 3 stems. As I think about this partucular one, I think I pruned one since it was pretty much dead .

So my -framework- for this particular rose, 5 years in, is no new canes from the soil line. It has 2 very thick canes, that, have a WYE branching, and subsequent canes/wyes from there.

In my mind, I'm thinking at least a new cane would have come up from the soil line..

I do know it's possible, as I have less than a handful of the same plantings that have sprouted a new cane.

I feel like I'm amiss. If I'm in the camp of new canes from soil line, should I have just opted for own root from the get go.

Or do I just need more planting time

Or I need to potentially, like in this example of 2 thick canes and everything is coming off of this. Do I need to cut this flush to the soil, and hopefully the engergy will refocus and produce a fresh cane from the soil line.

Once this thing leafs out, it's not really even on my radar, as it is a bushful of leaves and flowers..

However, I am aiming for new canes.

For those growing grafted, do you have a boatload of new canes that have replaced the original canes that came from your rose.

Comments (33)