SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amylou321

Floof! Education..

amylou321
last year

I was recently engaged in a now familiar and tedious "discussion" with my father. He is constantly bothered by the fact that I am the only one of his children without a college degree. I am not bothered, I went for a year. I majored in Nutrition Science. I objected to having to pay for and pass classes that had nothing to do with my degree. I was really enjoying the nutrition classes. I was irritated that I was required to go to, watch and review a play to be graded for a class that had nothing to do with the degree I was pursuing. For a BS in Nutrition Science I feel like I should not have to endure 3 fine arts, 4 history, and 3 English credits, or whatever they were. Even though I enjoyed learning about history and seeing plays, they should NOT be required for that degree. It is SUCH a con. I enrolled in college in order to gain the knowledge to embark on a CAREER, not gather ammo for idle small talk.

This always leads to another repeat "discussion" about how I feel that some of the curriculum I suffered through in high school was such a waste. I do realize that people in certain careers need the knowledge of such things as Algebra, Calculus, Latin, etc. I knew very early on that I was not going to be one of those people. And yet I had to suffer through them anyway. I will say nothing of the required "religion" classes that were a constant from kindergarten through high school. I should not have to say my opinion of them for it to be clear...... And if I had to endure "just in case" classes in high school, I feel as though colleges need to be more focused. I do realize its a money thing. The more classes they require, the more they charge, the higher the profit. But that does not mean I do not object.

On the other hand, I wish that other. more practical classes should be required or at least available for high school kids. Things that everyone or almost everyone can find useful. It boggles my mind that home ec and shop classes are not a thing anymore. Or at least not common anymore. Everyone can benefit from basic cooking, cleaning and repair skills. Everyone should know how to change a tire and check the oil in their car. Other things that I think would be better options:

Finances. This can be a class that takes all of high school to complete. Everything from negotiating a salary, household budgeting, retirement and estate planning to taxes, investing ,insurance and mortgages, interest rates, everything. My own financial education was my parents telling me that every single thing I bought myself from money I earned from my job was a "stupid waste of money." Really helpful......

This may be a part of the finance classes but things like how to write a nice resume, interview skills, how to ask for a raise or file a grievance. Employment laws. Workplace diplomacy. I know that seems silly but I am amazed at how many people do not know not to steal others peoples food at the office. I would benefit from these classes. I struggle to make a stellar resume and I also do not necessarily interview well. I am not someone who answers questions based on making myself seem perfect for the job at hand. I just answer. And I need to work on that. I cringe now when I think about my interview to temp for my current job. I got quite a few startled glances. I was not rude or crass or anything, but I did answer honestly without candy coating. I wish I was taught how to finagle around HR and their BS better. Right now I just rage at them when they do something dumb or disrespectful. That's not good.

Or as an alternative to THAT, entrepreneur classes. How to start a business. The requirements, laws, things to consider like expenses, customer service skills, advertising, etc.

Actual health classes. And by that I mean better than "don't get fat, don't get an STD, don't smoke, don't get pregnant or get someone pregnant unless you are married to them, and not at all if you're poor, done." My beginner nutrition classes in that one year of college were very basic indeed, but very informative and something I think that people would benefit from better if taught from a younger age. And nutrition is only a small part in our overall health that young people need to be aware of. Mental health and happiness should absolutely be included in this too.

I remember the elective choices in my high school was a choice between advanced Latin or advanced Spanish. That was it. I would have enjoyed choices such as gardening, crafting classes such as crochet or sewing, I would have liked having a basic intro to the inner workings of a car or electrical things. And I really wish that I was given a chance for a better education in computer matters. Excel is still my sworn enemy. I have taken classes independently in it, and I just cannot work it without a cheat sheet to guide me along every step. I think the younger the brain, the better it is to instill stuff like that. In my case anyway. All of these things I mentioned of course can be learned independently as an adult. But I am just thinking about how absolutely helpless I have been in the past about certain things that all people should know about, and how it would have helped to have been taught about practical things instead of reciting Latin verbs. I mean sure, at the time I would not have enjoyed having to learn how to change the oil in a car, but I really hated Latin class and was forced to do it anyway. And I have not had a conversation in Latin ever, but my oil needs to be changed regularly.

How to be safe online. I am required to take all sorts of training on phishing, email security, malware, etc. This should be taught in school. Of course, it might be already. This conversation came about because I mentioned that I have received an invite to my 20 year High School reunion. We did not have a 5, 10 or 15 year, but they want to have a 20 year. So its been a while since I have seen the inside of a school and experienced the grind of it all. This turned into my mother googling a lot of my classmates (there were only like 30 of us in my graduating class) and exclaiming about how so and so has 2 Masters degrees, and so and so has their doctorate, and LOOK, so and so is a CEO! And it just kind of deteriorated from there......

So anyway, what else do YOU think should be taught in regular school (not higher education), either by choice or by requirement?

Comments (37)

• bpath
    last year
    last modified: last year

My older son majored in theater, acting, in collage. It amazed me that his requirements in math, science, pe, language, could not be met by classes in personal finance (anyone in the arts must have very crazy tax returns!), acoustics, dance, sign language or history of English or Old/Middle English. He had a friend in high school who took dance for his PE, he was also going into theater and it benefitted him enormously. He may have been the only boy in his HS dance class.

As for me, well, I’m a liberal arts girl. I will say, though, that the one class I took in high school that I still use every day in the last 50 years was ”College Typing and Notehand”. We learned to touch type (and even on the virtual keyboard I’m using to type this on my iPad,, I’m largely doing without looking so just ignore that double comma). We learned a form of shorthand that I used in classes, and use now when I’m in a hurry or for my Christmas shopping list because no one else can read it!. And how to take notes for class, which extends to meetings.

I took music theory. Is it useful in my career? I guess not. But it sure was interesting.

I became a technical writer, so my varied courses did come in to play. Technical writing, UX(User Experience) writing, is quite varied, and honestly, I often drew on things I had learned, or just being multi-interested, when talking to the tech developers whose work I was writing about.

I DO wish we had more education on nutrition! and infant/child development. Most of us would become parents, after all. And of course, personal finance.

oh, and civics and government! yeah, we had to take US History and how many of us yawned our way through that? But how does your local government work? That matters to you.

amylou321 thanked bpath
  • Related Discussions

The Floof Club.

Q

Comments (150)
    The inflo. And with that 'The Floof Club' rides into the sunset. I looked them all over, some nice flowers seen here. Since there are about 500,000 catt alliance hybrids I think we must start a sequel. We probably just scratched the surface. Nick
    ...See More

Tribute to an Awesome Man

Q

Comments (40)
    I never correct people who are speaking to me in person (or on the phone) and consider however they speak to be part of their personality. I do, however, criticize newscasters and instructors on TV, as I hold them to a higher standard, and there is nothing personal between us. My grandmother was an English professor, and she was very bad about correcting everyone's grammar. I doubt any of her students liked her, and she had a reputation for being very strict. Growing up in Texas, I was also forced into seeking a career/education that was considered more masculine than I really liked, but once I finished my first B.A. (which was in German/English literature), I decided to do instead what I really wanted and started designing and making clothes, even though I had on formal teaching. Basically, I learned from reading instructions on patterns, and then I started making my own patterns, once I understood clothing construction and how to use a sewing machine. My youngest brother was interested in drawing from the time he could first hold a pencil, and some of his earliest drawing are really amazing. However, our father told him that he should not pursue a career in art, but it was not what men were supposed to do. I don't know where he got that idea, but my brother listened to him and studied electrical engineering for four years before changing his major to art, and then he had to spend another four years to finish a degree in art. After that, he went to graduate school and got his MFA. I went back to university to get a design degree when I was almost 35 and was older than some of my instructors. Most professors liked having older students in the classes, however.
    ...See More

Floof! TikTok.......

Q

Comments (18)
    That is where I tend to watch. I rarely open it when I am at home. Outside, YES! Lots of informative things. Sometimes I will run across a video that summarizes a story in history, and it will make me go research it to learn more. I've learned lots of things from tiktok. Tried a new recipe from tiktok the other day, French onion rice. It was......SO GOOD! I have found I prefer tiktok cooking videos because they only have so much time to squeeze the whole process in. YouTube creators tend to draaaaaaaaaaaaag it on and on... and sometimes i just want the recipe and a quick tutorial, not a life story and a video of you stirring....just sayin.
    ...See More

Podcast floof!

Q

Comments (22)
    I discovered Criminal during lockdown & agree it's so good I binged it - also sorry I now have to wait for new ones. I really enjoy Atlas Obscura's podcasts. They're not very long, but take you to marvelous places around the world and here at home. I second Serial, and another from members of the team at This American Life - S-Town, which is a long deep dive into sort of southern gothic true story. And of course, This American Life and Radiolab. Jad Abumrad of Radiolab did a really cool podcast series about Dolly Parton awhile back that is just excellent. I'm also enjoying Michael Lewis' Against The Rules very much. And The Shrink Next Door is a fascinating true story as well. It was made into a TV series with Will Ferrell and Paul Rudd.
    ...See More
  • cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    last year

Crazybrunette, just what I wanted to say.

Amylou, I think there is a difference between classes such as finance and cooking or cleaning. I think that everyone needs to study history, science, writing including practical writing, literature, and math (also including practical math). One thing I can say for Latin, it is an immense help with figuring out many unknown words since so many have Latin origins. Without knowledge of those subjects which, incidentally also teach you how to think critically and logically, Without knowledge of those, we cannot be informed and contributing citizens.

Granted, not everyone needs to go to college, but many of the subjects you mentioned (gardening, crafting classes such as crochet or sewing) are learned by reading, joining a club or class in the evenings or on weekends, or from friends. You don't mention art or music which I think are a vital requirement in all K-12 years. Community colleges also offer some classes that are practical and well worth investigating and not for only young folks..

I do not know where you are located, but I am sorry you disliked school so much. I think your teachers over the years must have let you down and, as a retired teacher, I am so sorry for that. I do worry about this: I wish I was taught how to finagle around HR and their BS better. Right now I just rage at them when they do something dumb or disrespectful. That's not good.

No one is better than you and you are no better than anyone else. Anger is a secondary emotion. Something else drives it like fear or loneliness. Work on letting go of your anger even if it means distancing yourself from toxic people and take some courses that you wish you had had in school. You will meet like-minded people and maybe things will turn around for you. I am not sure any answers to your final question would really make a difference.

amylou321 thanked cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year

Fine arts, history and English courses are pretty good for learning critical thinking and analysis - creativity too.

amylou321 thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • crazybrunette64
    last year

@cyn427 - Without knowledge of those subjects which, incidentally also teach you how to think critically and logically, Without knowledge of those, we cannot be informed and contributing citizens.

Yes! So often it isn't the full content that we carry forward, but the skills we used in learning something that we draw on for other problem-solving.

I am also an advocate for music and arts in the school system. Not only are they linked to learning other subjects such as math, but they foster creative thinking.

amylou321 thanked crazybrunette64
  • amylou321
    Original Author
    last year

Cyn427, the subjects mentioned ( gardening, etc) were mentioned as an ELECTIVE course, as in required but the subject would be chosen voluntary. I just wish that instead of being forced into unwanted classes for a credit requirement, I had better options for things that I found interesting, useful or fun. I am not discounting the fact that lots of people benefit from things i did not. And I do not in any way discount the value of a college education for certain careers. I just think that they can be achieved a lot faster and cheaper if all those extras weren't required. History ,fine arts, and English pursuits can also be pursued at leisure without an attendance or performance requirement attached.

I am not sure any answers to your final question would really make a difference.

I am not trying to make a difference or change anything with this post. I just asked a broad, basic question for discussion purposes. And provided background that shaped my own opinions on it.

I do not think my teachers let me down. They were doing what was required, as was I. Which is why I posed the question of what things people think should be taught as basic life skills in High School. I have never used my latin knowledge as you described, or at all for that matter. I have also never used Calculus or Algebra or taken heed of any of my religious education. As a Catholic, as I was raised and educated, I am a solid F student. I could have certainly used more broad and practical education like finances and other things. Learning those on my own was neither interesting or fun, but are useful. I can say that a lot of the stuff i learned in high school was not interesting, fun OR useful.

• Mrs. S
    last year

I personally think that all the things you mentioned should be offered in high school. I'm in SoCal and our kids have attended public high schools. There are ROP classes (welding, car repair, woodshop) at at least one high school in our district. The better school districts (and it's becoming more common) are offering what are called CTE pathways (Career Technical Education) where electives in things like what you are listed are offered and after 2 or 3 courses, the student earns a special designation on their transcript. There's a nearby school district where kids take courses and build a tiny house. There are CTE pathways in fashion design, graphic design, business, child development, entertainment, hospitality, and many, many more. There are courses in architecture and landscape architecture, too, that I just heard about. The courses that my kids took were very good, though we never compared to private school experience as it is completely out of our ability to pay for private school.

And, the local high schools are offering more courses during the school year: 7 or 8 courses per year is the norm in our school district, although a surprising number of kids don't take advantage of the opportunity to take those extra courses.

Another neighboring district has a special technical high school, which I hear is really great for kids wanting to learn a trade.

I really, really hope it becomes more common, because there is a real need here to expand these programs.

I agree with your list and desire that kids learn about practical topics. But I want to also interject that I feel math is really, really important for a lot of reasons, and not because I think most kids are ever going to use it again. I believe learning to think logically, and notate the various steps in problem-solving so it can be readily understood by someone else helps develop the brain in a similar way to language--where you have to learn to communicate your thought process step-by-step. I don't know why so many kids have to go through calculus, but I do think math, history, English, science, and an extra language are advisable and important.

amylou321 thanked Mrs. S
  • blfenton
    last year

I had to fight to be allowed to take drafting in grade 11 because that was a "boys" class. Boys were allowed to take cooking so why wasn't I allowed to take drafting. I won the fight and after that electives were open to both sexes - there were no more boys classes or girls classes.

I went through Commerce in university and in my days it was a 5 year program. To make extra money I marked papers for a third year marketing course. If you're in third year marketing you are in 4th year university and majoring in marketing and you should be pretty decent in communication skills. There were two students who couldn't write their way out of a paper bag and I told the prof that I refused to mark their papers (I would have failed the students). Somewhere along the way the system failed them. They never mastered English and it still confounds me that they made it that far.

I do wonder about the extra electives that we all have to take and Commerce is the same.

bpath - I was the same regarding typing. At my school it was called Typing 11X and it was for those who were headed to university and needed to know how to type quickly and accurately. We were also taught how to type resumes and research papers which included margins, centering but also references (how to format them), topic sentences, etc.

ETA - I went to an all academic high school and there were no fancy tech classes or other paths to follow except to university.

amylou321 thanked blfenton
  • colleenoz
    last year

I would point out that anyone who scales a recipe up or down or scales a plan or pattern up or down is using algebra. And Excel is very algebra-heavy. I also find that Latin helps in recognising other words or deciphering the meanings of new words as so many English and European language words have their roots in Latin.

But I do agree that critical thinking should be high on the list.

amylou321 thanked colleenoz
  • amylou321
    Original Author
    last year

Ah! That makes sense as to why i hate Excel so much. And the feeling is mutual it seems....

• arcy_gw
    last year

Many are confused. Compulsory education is not for you but for the society funding it! You may not have loved loved loved all your classes but they did strive to open your mind, expand your horizon beyond whatever the average developing brain would come up with on its own. That behooved the rest of us--if not you. We educated you with the hope you would become a successful member of society and give back, and pay taxes and not require us to fund your life through welfare programs. Pretty basic and harsh maybe but thems the facts and frankly a child shouldn't have a say so. They don't have enough brain power and higher level thinking to see beyond the horizon or around corners, to make those calls. So many are not appreciative of what they are GIFTED with. It's astonishing and I would say your attitude points to a truth that many did not learn what they ought about the plight of females/poor/uneducated in other countries. College that's an entirely different matter. This is why Technical schools are a thing. Universities and the degrees they offer like it or not are well respected in our society. So collectively society has decided you are a more qualified, capable person for taking all that English and History. Schools only require what the world wants. Now with so much being ruled by insurance companies it's only gotten worse. 6 years of school, BS+45 never got to my master's thesis; 6 years of success in schools as a Speech/Language Clinician worth nothing after 10 years at home raising my kids. Why? Schools began charging Medical Insurance for said services. Insurance companies decided a Masters was the only acceptable entry level degree for them to pay out. INSANITY. Schools can't afford to pay entry level hires with a masters!! It's bankrupting the system and making it impossible for schools to provide necessary services. 99% of the work I did does not call for a Masters!! But that's the game and if you want to play in their sandbox ya step in line. Or join the work force and work your way up. National stats say no high school diploma gets you TENS of THOUSANDS less in a lifetime or earnings. College degree even more discrepancy. So if you choose well it will pay out over time. BUT I think it is worth exploring the idea of testing to stay in school. If you aren't learning~~out to the work force you go. Students of a certain age, with poor attitudes and no respect for the knowledge they are being offered,are sucking up resources and clogging the system. If I thought we had a way of assuring they could provide for themselves, not be a drag on society I would be THRILLED to move them out into the world. Oh and hey that would solve the teacher shortage--because snotty , ill mannered, students is the reason no one wants to teach! Win win.

• littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    last year

Agree 100% with CrazyBrunette. (I am a 30+ year retiree from a higher education institution.)

College teaches you HOW to think, a concept which can be described as critical thinking. Higher ed also teaches hard-to-measure things such as commitment, perseverance, work ethics, getting along with people, and maybe some subjects a person might never know they could excel in.

We have a son with a bachelor’s degree. He worked the first 10 years of his career in a field very closely related to his degree (agriculture). Several years ago he was offered (and accepted) a very fine job in finance. Would he have been able to make that transition without his degree? Doubtful. Did he grow up thinking ”I want to work in finance someday”? Nope. But his four-year degree, which required assorted economics and business classes, made it possible.

amylou321 thanked littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
  • nicole___
    last year

"Teaching" it in high school...ya know....where does it end. When I met my husband he could tie ANY of the knots on this poster....but he couldn't tie his shoe laces. His parents had never taught him. Or table manners. He can not use silverware without clacking them on his teeth...and holds them in his fist. He can rebuild a car engine. He can wire a house per code. But the essentials were left out. Should the school be the place to learn "everything"?

amylou321 thanked nicole___
  • rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    last year

Well, DARN! You started your post with ”I was recently engaged……”! I got all excited thinking that we were going to help with a pink wedding!

amylou321 thanked rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
  • nickel_kg
    last year

I think a prerequisite of graduating from 8th? 10th? 3rd? grade should be passing a short course on 50 logical fallacies. That alone would go a long way to encourage critical thinking.

My favorite street art:

amylou321 thanked nickel_kg
  • lucillle
    last year

I wish that somewhere along the way there had been some practical course such as household budgeting and shopping for groceries,etc. My mother mocked me for asking about such things when I was in the 4th grade, and money was never discussed at the dinner table. I was woefully unprepared despite having very good grades in the usual high school subjects.

amylou321 thanked lucillle
  • Adella Bedella
    last year

Courses on soft skills and basic etiquette would have been nice.

amylou321 thanked Adella Bedella
  • Elmer J Fudd
    last year

amylou, it sounds like you were at a college, not a trade school. And that your program's design was to give you AN EDUCATION as well as knowledge for a particular profession. Contrast that with trade schools that provide only vocational training.

It was rash for you to question the program of study that was involved, it was there for a reason. Too bad you didn't appreciate it.

amylou321 thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • lucillle
    last year

Amy, I love you for questioning the world you are in.

And I love how you have the courage to discuss your weaknesses, what you don't know, and how others might benefit from realizing that many of us are not taught valuable skills which in fact might be incorporated into a curriculum. Not all of us have parents that helped teach us how to get through life, and some of those deficits can really hold us back until we do learn, from whatever source.

amylou321 thanked lucillle
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

I almost don't know how to respond to this :-) IMO, any formal education is of benefit whether the student at the time appreciates it or not. And often, because of their age and lack of maturity and life experience, they don't. Every single thing you learn will help you in life in some way, although it may not be immediately obvious.

As to whether or not offering an assortment of practical (if not educational) skills makes sense, I think that depends on the student and the school. I attended a high school that was college prep focused so almost all the curriculum was formulated with that in mind. I don't regret anything I learned there or consider any of it a waste of time, even the higher math, which someone pointed out previously gets used all the time in subtle but very telling ways.

I have two college degrees, both quite technical, but received 30 years apart. If I could afford it, I'd consider going back to college to take more advanced courses in a variety of interests.....just because :-) There is no such thing as too much education!!

I also think a lot of the more practical skills called out in this thread are the responsibility of the parents. They should be the ones imparting necessary life skills while schools and universities should educate. There is a difference!

amylou321 thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • Ally De
    last year

I heartily agree with GardenGal. To add to it a bit, I too was a science-based major in college - and yet the classes which still stand out for me to this day decades later are my electives. Art history blew my mind. I sat in those lectures absolutely entranced with what I was learning.

Anthropology fascinated me. I loved economics, social psychology....gosh, there were so many choices that I graduated with a list of classes I still wanted to take. I wished I could have taken more electives and less requirements. :)

College opened up whole new worlds for me. It made me a more well-rounded person, I'm grateful for the chance I had to get little tastes of so many different subjects.

To me, that's what college or university is supposed to do - push you to learn new things, try new things, expand your horizons. However if that's not your thing....that's ok too. Clearly you've done just fine for yourself and who can argue with success?

(ETA - and I still think Excel may be one of the most useful creations, ever....)

amylou321 thanked Ally De
  • Bookwoman
    last year

I too was a science-based major in college - and yet the classes which still stand out for me to this day decades later are my electives. Art history blew my mind.

And mine, so much so that after getting a BA in Biology, I got an MA in Art History and wound up in a completely different field than the one I had entered college for.

amylou321 thanked Bookwoman
  • Jupidupi
    last year

I met someone who had a consulting service to help students in highschool figure out their next step. He told me of one case where the kid was not much of a student, but liked to hang out with his neighbor and help him tinker with projects. They decided the kid should go to tech school. His sister was a very good student who took the Ivy League route. A few years later, the tech student was making good money as an electrician and the sister with the Ivy League education was a barista. There's a lot to be said for a practical education.

amylou321 thanked Jupidupi
  • Ally De
    last year

I think there is a lot to be said for ANY education - technical and trades schools are the perfect choice for some people, a college or university setting are the perfect choices for other people. Put the right person in the wrong setting and they won't like it, won't learn, whatever.

There is something to be said about figuring out your strengths and playing to them, while being aware of your weaknesses and shoring those up as you can too.

• crazybrunette64
    last year

Side-note: some colleges/universities offer free tuition for adult learners over a certain age. For example, the university where I work offers free tuition for students 62+. You don't have to be degree-seeking, but you certainly can. It can be a great way to keep our brains in shape!

amylou321 thanked crazybrunette64
  • Lars
    last year

I got two college degrees - 16 years apart. The first was at a private university that was very flexible with its requirements, and so it only required that one have at least two courses in three different fields - Science (including math), Humanities, and Social Sciences, which included history. The Science field required one math and one science class, but the others were more flexible, and one could negotiate requirements with one's advisor. I started out majoring in Physics, but soon learned that I found that not to be my primary interest, and then transferred from the Science and Engineering department to Humanities. Looking back, I probably should have majored in Architecture, but I really appreciate the education I got in Humanities.

I got my second degree at a state school, which had extremely rigid requirements for courses. Unfortunately, I could only get another Bachelor's degree for my second choice, and so I had to fulfill all of the state's (Texas) requirements, which included American History, Government, and two "writing course" requirements. I already had a B.A. from a superior university in German/English literature (double major) and had my writing published,, but UT still said that I had to have two "writing component" classes to prove that I was literate. For my degree in English, I had taken a creative writing class taught by Larry McMurtry, but UT did not consider that a "writing component" course because UT did not have an identical course offered. There were so many stupid requirements that UT had that I still have nightmares about them. For my B.A., I took European History for the history requirement, but UT required American History instead, and I did not learn anything in that class that I had not already learned in high school.

To get an Interior Design degree at UT, one had to go through the Home Economics department, which was in Natural Sciences, meaning that one had to take one Chemistry course and two Biological Sciences courses. My Chemistry course did transfer from my first degree, but I did have to take a Biology class, and I elected to take Botany as my second Biological Sciences course, but I did not see how either had anything to do with Interior Design.

In high school, I was not allowed to take Home Economics, as that was for girls only, but I did take drafting, and girls were allowed to take that.

I think that everyone should be required to learn a foreign language by high school (if not much earlier), but I think that Spanish is a better (and more practical) choice than Latin, although I did take Latin in college. I really think that a second language should be taught in elementary school.

amylou321 thanked Lars
  • Ally De
    last year

I 100% agree Lars that another language should be mandatory starting when kids are little sponges and will pick it up easily.

I wanted to take Latin because I thought it would help in other areas. Alas, no Latin in my public high school. The choices were French or Spanish. I did 4 years of French. One of my proudest moments in high school was spending 2 weeks in France and getting around just fine. For a 17 year old kid realizing I could actually speak and understand a foreign language was a huge confidence builder.

There are so many things one can or should do, to hopefully better understand there is a whole big world out there. For me, all of my most important growth moments have come when I am pushed out of my comfort zone.

• Patriciae
    last year

Education needs to be varied because it is impossible to predict what you are going to need as the years go by. Learning how to learn is the most important thing anyone will ever learn. An organized approach that builds on basics that you have to lay down though it be dull as ditch water is just part of getting educated. It is work. It is a child's job. I know it is not popular to speak of education as work vs fun and exciting or what ever and often hard and dull work at that. If you dont learn to multiply you wont learn algebra which is a language helpful for future ventures in math should you need to go there.

Our university system which is broad based give you the option of changing your mind about what you always wanted to do with your life. Life is a long time. The British system is very focused to your chosen field. That can be good or bad. I did object to having to waste time on PE classes in college and having too many introductory classes but that was a function of where I went. You can hopefully choose to go elsewhere that meets your needs better.

I am astonished you had to take calculus and Latin in high school. Calculus came after Trig and Latin was dying out in high schools and I know I am considerably older than you. I was not allowed to take drafting but a friend and I managed to make them let us take mechanical drawing. The teacher simply ignored us. We were taught nothing in the class and had to manage on our own.

amylou321 thanked Patriciae
  • beesneeds
    last year

My high school had an actual home ec- from balancing the checkbook, cooking, bugeting, a full class of information. They had an auto shop and offered an auto class for basics. They had a capstone program for the tec classes, like automotive or architecture/drafting. A fifth year class program that could qualify one into trade school credits or sometimes kids would get tapped right into a work program. There were extra science classes like horticulture or astronomy. They dropped most of that a few years after I graduated. Health class included a sex ed unit- and part of that was a parenting unit. My school used small bags of sugar or flour instead of eggs :) And an aging unit that had simulation exercises. I have no idea if anything like that is still around there.

On a flip side that school is being remodeled now. The indoor swimming pool from my yesteryears is going and that space is being rebuilt into tec rooms and labs. Sounds like some of those lost classes might be coming back again.

amylou321 thanked beesneeds
  • colleenoz
    last year

I took calculus in high school in the 70s.

• Patriciae
    last year

Colleen, were you required to take calculus? The being required to take calculus is the odd part to me. You could always opt for calculus if you had the prerequisites. I wish I had Latin as an option in my first high school. My final high school had it but it was too late in the process for me.

amylou321 thanked Patriciae
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

Calculus was required at my high school only if you took Physics as well. Since I was planning on a technical field in college, I took both :-) They didn't offer Latin - since I am a plant geek, I wish they had although I was probably too young and uninformed about plants at that time of my life to take advantage of it. What I've learned of it has been through osmosis over the years.

I did take French all through middle school (Junior high school in those days) and high school - 6 years in total. And I took a French literature class as an elective in college. If I had to do over, I would have opted for Spanish instead so I could communicate properly with all the Hispanic landscape contractors I come into contact with.

amylou321 thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • Jupidupi
    last year

Amylou, I think the best class for how to "finagle around HR" is sales training. Most people think that the idea is to express themselves and make their views known. But especially in a business situation, it's better to know your goal and actively listen to direct the conversation toward it. A good salesperson doesn't wing it, they have a plan in mind. They ask questions, listen to the answers and then use that information to get to the results what they want. You don't have to invest in a seminar, although it can be a very interesting way to spend the day. I recommend picking up a book by Tom Hopkins. I think you can even get him on an audiobook to listen to on your walks.

amylou321 thanked Jupidupi
  • colleenoz
    last year

@Patriciae, it wasn’t a requirement- here the only requirements are an English course (straight English or English literature), a Maths course (Maths I - general maths, Maths II and III- higher maths which includes calculus), a Science course (Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Human Biology) and a Social Studies course (History, Economics, Geography, a language etc) and make up your other two or three courses with optionals. I did Maths II and III and Physics and Chemistry as I was planning on doing a Physics degree at University (in the end I left halfway through my degree and went off to do other things I liked better, but that’s another story 😁).

• chisue
    last year

Our DIL teaches calculus to kids in Grades 6, 7, and 8 in a public grammar school in Chicago. Neither DH nor I ever took calculus in our suburban Chicago high schools in the 1950's.

amylou321 thanked chisue
  • nickel_kg
    last year

Apparently public schools are introducing what used to be called advanced math, much earlier. A friend is teaching 5th graders algebra, variables, geometry. Basic level stuff, but still so much more advanced than was attempted in my elementary years. Probably a good thing, to catch them before they get convinced math is too hard or no fun.

amylou321 thanked nickel_kg
  • bpath
    last year

Chisue, calculus in a public middle school? Wow!

amylou321 thanked bpath