SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristen_hallock37

Choosing a wood species for hardwood flooring

KristenVT
last year

I'm in a pickle. My 1st floor is all red oak flooring stained with a golden oak stain, except for the sunken living room which is natural maple. I want to put hardwood on the 2nd floor (bedrooms and hallway). I'd like to go with pre-finished because its cheaper and easier. I was inclined to go with red oak again in a similar (not exact) color as the 1st floor. But I cant find anything that I like, the natural red oak is too light, and the other stains are too dark or too red. I thought maybe I should go with the maple like what I have in the sunken living room, but that is a noticeable color change from the stairs (a pine tread i think with a runner rug) and railing (red oak). We found some red birch which we like and its a very similar color to the red oak we currently have, but obviously the grain is not the same as the red oak.

Would it be crazy to go with a 3rd wood species (red birch)? I dont want things to look too disjointed, but its on the 2nd floor and the colors are close. I'm inclined to just go with the birch I guess.

wwyd?

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths