SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_339647040

Treadmill vs Elliptical

Jilly
last year
last modified: last year

We have an elliptical machine and I hate exercising on it with a passion. I do love to walk and am wondering if a treadmill would be better.

I don’t have room for both and am thinking of selling the torture machine for a treadmill.

What are your thoughts on the two?

Thank you!

(I love to walk and hike outside whenever possible, but would use the treadmill if the weather was bad, if I couldn’t get to the trails for some reason, etc.)

Comments (36)

• bpath
    last year

We have both at home, but I prefer using them at the fitness center. Many days I use the treadmill, but when my knees are bothering me I find the elliptical easier on the knees, while still giving me a workout. The only thing I don’t like about it is, I really need to master the mount and dismount!

Jilly thanked bpath
  • User
    last year

I had an elliptical and I found it very uncomfortable, so I sold it. I learned later that it was probably the wrong size for me. Also, any machine where I don't pick my feet up makes them go numb. My favorite exercise is speed walking anyway, so I much prefer a treadmill if I had to choose. But I don't have anything now-- I despise indoor exercise. I'd much rather go outside, even in light rain.

Jilly thanked User
  • Related Discussions

should I worry about putting a treadmill on the second floor?

Q

Comments (16)
    From a personal experience, my wife moved the treadmill to a spare bedroom on the second floor of our last home. The home was only 6 years old. Anyway, the master bedroom was on the other side of the house. That thing was SO loud, it would wake me up when she worked out in the morning. The vibration, when she jogged, rattled the things on the walls. Since you live in a duplex, your neighbors may have concerns?
    ...See More

Elliptical vs. Normal Exercise Bike

Q

Comments (5)
    The elliptical is better than the bike. You are moving your whole body on it. It is better than the treadmill as well and easier on the knees. After using the elliptical at a gym 2+ years ago we bought one for our basement. I have done it just about everyday for 2 years now. Just got off of it now!!
    ...See More

recumbant bike vs. elliptical

Q

Comments (3)
    I think there are good sides to both of your choices. I think that the good ellipticals are very expensive but a very good workout. People say not to bother with the ones for $3-400 dollars. They just aren't like the commercial ones. A recumbant bike can be purchased for a lot less money and seems to stand up better and you are right!! You can read and do the biking. If you are actually running on the treadmill, the bike sounds like a good option. I find when I bike on a recumbant and read that I tend to bike slower. Let us know your decision. Deanna
    ...See More

Any recommendations? Treadmill

Q

Comments (13)
    I LOVE my treadmill. It's got the heart rate monitor(a headband), programs & incline you can enter your own or use ones it comes with. It's 110volt. Has a large roller for the belt. Mines 25 years old! I paid $1350 on sale + a 3 year maintenance agreement, $150. Over the next 10 years the digital read out was replaced, the rear roller bearings went out & the belt got off center, shredded the edge of the belt...all replaced for free. At that point I discontinue the extended warranty. It's been fine ever since. I've read the reviews for new ones by Image....not good. I have a dedicated workout room(see photo), if I didn't....I might want one that folds up. Mine isn't noisy as I have a 55" flat screen in front of it and nice speakers/stereo system for watching movies. I also have cordless/remote headphones I can wear, so others can sleep and hear "nothing"(back when I used to work strange hours & got up @ 3am to work out).
    ...See More
  • Ida Claire
    last year

I love, love, love my treadmill and greatly prefer it over the elliptical we used to have. I use my treadmill most days, since my schedule isn't conducive to walking or running outdoors. This morning, for instance, I rolled out of bed at 4:30, grabbed a cup of coffee, then knocked out a couple of 12-minute miles wearing a sports bra and pajama pants. Hair unkempt and teeth unbrushed, because who cares at that hour and nobody's up to see me except the cats. I have hated using the treadmills at the gym, as invariably I get the one next to the person who carries on a long, loud, inane cell phone conversation the entire time. Or the person who coughs frequently as they run. (I am so not a social animal when it comes to my workout.)

I'm presently working to increase my running speed and distance. I am 100% certain that my time on the treadmill is what has enabled me to hike healthier at elevation on our past few trips to the mountains.

Jilly thanked Ida Claire
  • jojoco
    last year

I was team elliptical for years. It was my preferred workout at our gym. About a month ago I decided to try the treadmill.. I was regularly doing 60 min on the elliptical with a decent resistance. I never felt like it was a hard workout. It was just ok. Enter the treadmill. Now, my goal is to hit three plus miles in 45 minutes. Afterwards I look like I've just run a marathon. My heart rate goes up, I sweat and I look red and blotchy. It's all very becoming. hate it all, but don't want to stop.

Oh and bpath, no kidding about the elliptical dismount! I've been clocked in the foot/shin more than once by a rogue pedal.

Jilly thanked jojoco
  • always1stepbehind
    last year

Timely post...I'm playing around the idea of a home treadmill.

Jilly thanked always1stepbehind
  • nicole___
    last year

My treadmill has programs for hills...goes faster then slower...or just walk at your pace. I have an awesome stereo for movies...TV...mirror on the wall... the atmosphere can be changed according to your mood....I think that helps. THIS one looks nice: Link

I listen to Howard Stern, His wife Beth is a Lingerie model. She likes the Peleton Rowing machine. That looks interesting. I don't have one of those... am considering buying one...

Jilly thanked nicole___
  • gsciencechick
    last year

I only have the treadmill workstation so my treadmill is designed to go more slowly and it doesn't incline because it's an under desk model. But I like using it for doing some updating of course shells.

Jilly thanked gsciencechick
  • DLM2000-GW
    last year

I have tried ellipticals over and over and no matter the brand, I always end up with sore hips because I can't get my feet under me properly - the pedals are always too wide set. A treadmill is more versatile (run/walk/incline/speed) and your 'stance' is not dictated by the machine. I've never done rowers consistently but they are a more complete workout when used properly.

@nicole___ that's a really narrow and short deck - not sure if you noticed.

Jilly thanked DLM2000-GW
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

Very helpful input, thank you all!

• Bunny
    last year

Ugh, ellipticals.

If I had more room in my house I'd get a treadmill in a heartbeat. I love walking outdoors, but when the weather is too wet I wish I had an indoor alternative. Today I walked in the rain and holding an umbrella gets old.

Jilly thanked Bunny
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

“Ugh, ellipticals.”

My thoughts exactly. 😄

• sas95
    last year

I have always had an elliptical and love it. It recently broke after 12 years of use, and I considered a treadmill just for a change. I hadn't used a treadmill since I switched from going to a gym to having a home gym and never much liked them, but thought that it could be a good option for me now. In the course of trying them out in the store, it soon became clear that I still don't like treadmills and bought another elliptical instead.

With ellipticals, it is especially necessary to be comfortable with the specific machine, as each one has a really different feel to it. For me, Life Fitness makes the only elliptical that I am 100% comfortable on, and I tried them all before ordering the exact same one this time around.

It's hard to give advice on something like treadmill vs elliptical, because the best exercise equipment is the equipment we are actually going to use, and we are all different. The only strong advice I have is to get a really good quality piece-- as close to gym quality as possible. I have found that at least for me, I have no incentive at all to work out on something rickety, noisy and cheap.

Jilly thanked sas95
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

Sas, I hadn’t thought of it that way, thank you. Maybe my current elliptical and I are just not compatible. Oil and water. :D

I think I’ll sell it and try some treadmills out.

In my fantasy life, I have a huge, bright well-stocked home gym with a wall of windows overlooking the Pacific, and my personal trainer is Keanu Reeves.

In reality, I have a garage with no A/C (it’s awesome in triple digits) and windows overlooking the sidewalk and street. My personal trainer is Youtube and the neighbor’s cat likes to come in and judge my form. 1/10.

• nini804
    last year

🤣 You are so funny, Jinx! I think you would like a tread. Do give the Peloton tread a try. I really think the design/function of it plus the incredible online platform that is baked into it could be transformative to your workouts/fitness. We have the bike, and I can honestly say I am addicted. I am a runner, and the Peloton has shifted me from 100% running to 60% bike, 40% run.

I also think you might enjoy your workout more if you could carve out an indoor space for whatever equipment you end up getting. I live in an area with brutally hot & humid summers. Knowing I have the option to spin in comfort vs sweating so much outdoors that I need to wring out my shoes is a game changer some days.

I would LOVE to add the tread to my bike, but seems to be a bit overindulgent to have both. 🤣

Jilly thanked nini804
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

Nini, I hear ya … when it’s super hot out, the last thing I want to do is hop on an exercise machine in it! 🥵

We need another bedroom. We have 3 – ours, DH’s music room/office, and a guest room.

I saw a house for sale the other day … they’d turned an outdoor shed into the most awesome gym!

• nini804
    last year

I bet dh wouldnt mind sharing his office with his cute wife working out! 😍

Jilly thanked nini804
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

You are sweet, thank you! 🥰

• Ally De
    last year

I am a runner, so I'm going to be biased. But I love my treadmill. After running outside for decades, the ability to get a good run in, inside, in a climate-controlled environment feels positively decadent. No rain, no snow, no thunderstorms, no 88 degrees and a thousand percent humidity. It's awesome!!

A really good quality treadmill is worth it. I have friends who went cheap and regretted it. I bought a Precor from a sport and fitness center who said these are the models they sell to commercial gyms and I love that machine. It has pre-set routes you can run with hills, or you can make your own.

Highly endorse. :)

Jilly thanked Ally De
  • RNmomof2 zone 5
    last year

I put a treadmill right up there with our Nordic Track. Instruments of torture!.. My ADD kicks in after a short time on any piece of equipment and all I can think about is how much longer do I have to do this? Treadmills hurt my old lady knees. I can put in some time on an elliptical. I thought I didn't like them at one point because the stride was wrong for me but maybe it was the hip distance that was bothersome.

Lacking the self motivation to keep going when boredom or sweating sets in, I have found that classes are better for me as I will stay till the end.

Jilly thanked RNmomof2 zone 5
  • lascatx
    last year

I thought I posted? We have both, but the treadmill gets more use. I am the only one who sees any value in the elliptical and that is for the low impact -- and now I'm guessing I am the only one it fits. More recently, we and both sons have gotten a rower (Concept 2, I believe) and that is probably the overall favorite and it's low/no impact. Exercises more muscle groups too.

Jilly thanked lascatx
  • nicole___
    last year

@DLM2000-GW...Yeah...it looked like it would fold up and roll around.It looked practical. My treadmill is heavy duty & never gets moved....it's in a weight room. A Precore might be a good inbetween treadmill....not commercial grade and not such a little belt.

Jilly thanked nicole___
  • Feathers11
    last year

I've never been able to get the hang of the elliptical. I walk outside in all sorts of weather, except ice. But I do have an exercise bike that I really like.

Jilly thanked Feathers11
  • arkansas girl
    last year

I would definitely choose a treadmill over the elliptical torture machine!

Jilly thanked arkansas girl
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks, all! I feel more secure in my decision now.

Nekotish 😆

• arcy_gw
    last year

I was told the machines at a gym are easier on your bones etc because they are sturdier, heavy duty, better made than most machines one would buy for home. We've had a treadmill since my first pregnancy when I needed to walk as much as possible. It's no fun. Even in front of the TV and my favorite show I hate it--but ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Nothing beats a long walk with a chatty friend IMPO. I think even at a gym if you were on a machine and could visit i.e. DISTRACT with a friend to chat with it would be most fun. As I age I can say I am glad we stuck to the one machine. Even if an elliptical was great once upon a time it won't be always. Eventually my folks graduated to a bike like contraption due to balance issues. Life is change.

Jilly thanked arcy_gw
  • jojoco
    last year

"Life is change."

Well said indeed, Arcy.

Jilly thanked jojoco
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    last year

I know that I have to go to the gym otherwise I won't do it. It doesn't matter whether it's an elliptical or treadmill, but I usually use the treadmill.

Jilly thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    last year

Jilly, I’m afraid that Keanu is already booked. Find yourself another personal trainer. Sorry, not sorry.

Jilly thanked rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

🤬!!!

😄

• yeonassky
    last year

I like both. Mine both fit me though. Plus I have the space. I've been off both machines for a while but this week am back on them and had forgotten how good it is to take a run or elliptical around.

Jilly thanked yeonassky
  • gsciencechick
    last year

I will echo what Arcy said. The treadmills at the gym are heavy duty and meant for commercial use. If you want a treadmill, you have to consider what are your needs. If you want to run, you will need a better motor for high speed or high incline capabilities, so it is going to cost more vs. if you are just planning on walking. Same thing for ellipticals. A better motor will cost more. Be careful that you buy one made for consumers because our treadmills in our lab need a 220 line! But we can go to 15 mph and 25% incline, which is great for testing but beyond most consumers' needs. But my home treadmill desk is just a standard outlet. Do check what is the max speed and incline capabilities and read reviews.

Jilly thanked gsciencechick
  • lascatx
    last year

Will just add that rowers require no more balance than a bike, exercise more muscle groups and I think are far less boring, I find cycling good for knees (was needed after a meniscus repair for me and DH's replacement), but they bore me more than anything.

Jilly thanked lascatx
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

Ok, will look into rowers, too.

Thanks, everyone!

• sas95
    last year

I agree that a rower is a great whole-body exercise. I have a WaterRower and it's fantastic. Only thing is, for me it's really boring. I also have a recumbent bike and find that boring too. The elliptical is the only cardio equipment that I don't find excruciatingly dull, but I guess that further speaks to the point that everyone is different.... I do like the watery-whooshy sound that the WaterRower makes, but it also drowns out the sound of my TV show. :)

Jilly thanked sas95
  • lascatx
    last year

Sas, I can turn on the TV, music or just go into thought with a rower, but for some reason (maybe the larger screens) I tend to focus on how slowly time passes with the others. Diversion may be more important than format.

Jilly, we have the Concept 2 rower -- it was the same one DH and the boys had used at a gym and liked. You might see if you can try one somewhere -- gym or retail.

Jilly thanked lascatx