SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amylou321

I......am SUCH an idiot.

amylou321
last year

About a month ago, I was in a car wreck. It has been stressful dealing with all that comes with that. She was 100% at fault, it was documented on the accident report, and her insurance company is STILL claiming that they have 0% liability to fix my car, because HER story is different than mine, and what she told the cop, and what is on the report. .So I have had to get an attorney to get them to do the right thing, which is a bit disheartening and aggravating. I just want my car fixed. And it is taking

WAAAAY to long for my liking. Anyway, I got a vicious case of whiplash in that incident too, and it has not been a great month.

I thought I was healed, its been a month, I have been to my doctor 3 times for treatment, and the medications have helped. A little bit sore still, but the shooting pain and stiffness has ceased. I was feeling energetic on my days off, and caught sight of my rose garden, completely overtaken with grass. I decided to take care of it. It took me 6 hours fighting to rip and dig all the grass and its roots out. But it was done and I was relieved. I still had some daylight left. So I decided that while I was already filthy I would dig out 4 dead rose bushes and replace them with new ones I had bought, and hey, while I was at it, I had 4 raspberry plants that needed to be planted too. And its time to cut back the roses and fertilize them too. Why not?!?!? I felt great. And when the sun went down I jumped on the treadmill to get the rest of my steps for the day.

Well, all of that was really really dumb. The pain has come back ten fold. I expected a little soreness, not this. I feel really really stupid for pushing it that far. And now I am back to where I started. The only thing that has kept me from maximum dummy status is that I remembered to wear and reapply sunscreen all day, though it ended up giving me a rash, it beats a sunburn. It is so defeating, thinking I was all better and then this happens. I have had whiplash before and it has never taken this long to get back to normal. Off to make another hot water bottle.....

Comments (32)

• amylou321
    Original Author
    last year

The before and after of my rose garden grass adventure. Doesn't look like it would take 6 hours but the roots were really in there and under the weed barrier and layer of cardboard I have under the mulch! Ill have to find a better solution.

• pudgeder
    last year

Oh it's so hard to stop when you're in the middle of a project! I hope you're able to relax and get some relief.

As far as your accident -- that happened to us in the past. My son was hit by a woman who like you, told a different story and her insurance was a major PITA. I turned it over to my insurance and THEY handled all of it. We were reimbursed and got a settlement to boot!!

Feel better!!

amylou321 thanked pudgeder
  • Related Discussions

I am an Idiot. Round-Up

Q

Comments (5)
    If you're on the Wasatch front, it's probably too late to seed and hope for the grass to last through the summer. I know it snowed Monday, but it's going to be June in a couple of days, which means we're going from winter straight to summer. On the bright side, you've probably got a KBG lawn, so it'll spread to fill in the bare spots (unless they're more than half the lawn). If you've still got bare spots in the fall, you can overseed then. If the dead spots bother you too much, you can buy some sod, but you'll need to cut it up in small pieces to plant it in the dead spots, so that'll be a hassle (but maybe necessary if you have big dead spots). If you're in southern Utah, you've probably got a warm season lawn, so you're coming into the perfect time of year to seed.
    ...See More

my wand is rusting, i am such an idiot!

Q

Comments (119)
    LOL! Come on, be ornery! Once I found the little froggie, I realized that your pic wasn't THAT blurry, FTM. It was my sense of size (things may appear larger than they are) that had me thinking the leaf-with-eyes was the mack daddy frog. :D It's great to hear they love crickets, since I moved some pots the other day, and found a multitude of them, large and small. The frogs have been singing their hearts out all over the yard, and I know they come up to where the crickets were, since that's where my watering can is. :D I love yummy tummies! Brenda
    ...See More

Near-frantic anticipation

Q

Comments (13)
    I feel sorry for the kids not being able to play basketball anywhere in the vicinity of 'my' garden... I have a list of every rose I grow... everyday I go out and see what has opened, then I come in and mark the date on the list... it's funny how the same rose will bloom within a couple of days of when it bloomed last year... Up until the very first rose opened, I was pretty bummed... I mean tulips and daffodils and phlox are ok and all, hyacinths smell great, but they just aren't the same as the roses... Now the iris and daylilies are starting and I just practically ignore them in my eagerness to check out the roses... I cut roses to bring inside today and I can't walk by the kitchen counter without sticking my face into them... Today I got to see a bloom that I have been waiting to see for FOUR years.... it FINALLY bloomed! It's name is Mecéne and the smell was well worth the wait! I can't wait to see who opens tomorrow :)
    ...See More

Arghhhh. I am an idiot. TWP can also mean

Q

Comments (2)
    Well......to review, this is a a 700 sf 18 year old PTW deck on its last legs. But it cleaned up great except for the residual stain. I'm trying to squeeze some more years out of it. I left the stripper on two areas, didn't let it dry out. What a gunky nasty job. I definitely don't like the toxicity. It did liquify some stain, but nowhere near all of it, just enough to make a mess and make it hard to see how much was coming off. Even with dwell time of up to 30 minutes, there was still blue left on there. It would take me the rest of the summer to get it all off. The pros have better(?) stuff no doubt, but hiring out, like redecking, has to wait. What to do, what to do... Semi solid stain (that goes in the wood) but sits up filmy and shiney in blotches where the old residue is? or Cabot's primer and solid stain - which will at least be consistantly filmy not so blotchy - until it fails and all heck breaks loose: peeling, etc? or Counter sink the 1000 nails and rent a sander and try to take it down a notch?
    ...See More
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    last year

Make sure you save all your unreimbursed medical bills. If you are going to sue to get covered by her insurance, it should include those costs as well.

amylou321 thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    last year

It looks great Amy, but what a lesson to learn the hard way. Its only first week of March. Not Spring yet. OK, so I'm sounding more motherly than 'friend' -ly but the trick is to stop while you still feel good - make yourself quit for the day.

I get it on the weeds. Grassy weeds aren't so much my problem. Do you have shotweed? I'd eradicated it at my former house, I'm not doing as well with it here.

I cheated. I mixed a little Round up in a hand pump spray and went out, giving one short spritz to each individual weed. My neighbor Jeff is out of town and I was taking advantage of that because he really scolds me for its occasional use.

Probably a waste of time. Heavy shower 20 minutes later but the sun had been out when I stepped outside and it had felt good. For a few minutes.

I hope you feel better soon. I haven't had whiplash. Do you still have the meds, does laying down with heat or ice help?

amylou321 thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • amylou321
    Original Author
    last year

Yes I still have the meds. Trouble is, I cannot take them when I am working because I will be asleep under my desk if I took them. The hot water bottle helps if it is directly on it but about 30 minutes after I remove it the pain comes back. I am taking Advil while I am at work, which really does not seem to be doing much at all.

• lucillle
    last year

Oh Amy I hate that you are in such pain. I hope for you that the insurance is straightened out, your car repaired, and that your ill advised garden ministrations result in beautiful blooms for you.

amylou321 thanked lucillle
  • Kathsgrdn
    last year

I'm sorry, what a hassle. Hope you get some pain relief soon.

amylou321 thanked Kathsgrdn
  • nickel_kg
    last year

Yikes -- that's a lot to deal with. Any one of those issues is a lot to deal with -- wreck, insurance hassle, pain/recovery/renewed pain.... And grass! to add insult to injury why does grass always grow best where it's not wanted! lol.

amylou321 thanked nickel_kg
  • glenda_al
    last year

amylou321 thanked glenda_al
  • roy4me
    last year

Have you tried Voltaren gel BioFreeze topically?

Heal quickly.

amylou321 thanked roy4me
  • maifleur03
    last year

Amy, I think you live in Canada so you might not have the two products that get me through the worst of my gardening pains, Aspercreme and the small size SalonPas patches. For me while they do not bring immediate relief in about 15-20 minutes most of the pain is gone. I primarily use the patches on the small of my back. Although the package will show where to place them I only use one either on top of where it hurts the worst or an area that clothing will not rub it off.

Back to your accident. Here most insurance company's prefer to handle any actions between the companies without the parties involved in the accident stepping in. They will authorize fixing your car and either cover it for that amount or bill the other parties insurance company for it. They do not want the legal problems of their clients being involved. If the client becomes involved they step back and you are on your own. All I have had to pay was the deductible which is cheaper and less time consuming than doing things myself.

amylou321 thanked maifleur03
  • amylou321
    Original Author
    last year

Maifleur03, I live in Alabama.

My insurance (allstate) did say essentially that they would cover it and go after her insurance to recover their costs if I wanted. But its the principle. I am not going to pay my deductible and shouldn't have to. It was HER fault. Even if my insurance was able to recover and return the deductible, no. YOUR customer caused the accident, my car was damaged. Pay up and shut up. And I was only asking for my car to be repaired. I was not going to ask for the medical bills because I have health insurance or rental car because I have another car I can drive, nothing. I only asked them to pay for my repairs. But since they do not want to do that, they can pay for all of it PLUS a PITA fee. A hefty one I hope. My attorney took one look at the crash report and was shocked that they (Geico) made the decision not to fully and quickly cover the damages. I assume they just took her word for it and did not even request a copy of it. I just wish things were moving more quickly than they are.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    last year

the roots were really in there and under the weed barrier

Exactly why you should NEVER use weed barrier. Just mulch with an organic material.

amylou321 thanked laceyvail 6A, WV
  • maire_cate
    last year

Amy - I think that's the way Geico operates and I felt the same way you did when I was rear-ended in the fall. It was the other driver's fault - why should my company absorb any of the cost of handling the claim. Even if they recovered all of it from Geico it would still cost them time and money to process everything.

The driver behind me failed to stop in time and bumped the rear of my car. Thankfully the woman was braking at the time so it wasn't severe. She apologized and said she was late for work and distracted. While on the phone with 911 she looks at my car and says the damage wasn't bad and offered me $100. I told her that the police were on their way and then snapped a photo of the 2 cars and her license plate.

Then she suggests moving the cars to a side street and promises that she was honest and wouldn't drive away. The police arrive, she admits responsibility and they take our information. Her company - Geico - called about an hour later BUT wanted me to go though my insurance. I insisted that they handle it. They gave me all kids of excuses - it would be faster to use my insurance, I would get a loaner car immediately, my company would cover all damage even if it was greater than the insured's coverage. My insurance broker was amazed how Geico tried to hand the claim and paperwork off to them.

The whole thing was a royal PIA - I had to call multiple times and push Geico to take responsibility. They made me wait 2 weeks for their adjuster to look at the car, they gave me conflicting information, they wanted me to use their repair shop, they wouldn't authorize a rental car until they were sure the claim was under $5000. which was the state mandated minimum insurance a NJ driver must carry. My car was only 2 years old and I wanted to use a body shop that was an authorized repair for my brand.

Luckily I could drive my car during all of this but it still took 10 weeks from start to finish. The biggest fear was availability of parts. The body damage was fairly straightforward but the biggest fear was availability of parts - the wiring harnesses for my back-up cameras and proximity sensors were manufactured in the Ukraine. In the end everything was restored but I'd never recommend Geico to anyone.

I hope you feel better soon.

amylou321 thanked maire_cate
  • OutsidePlaying
    last year

Amy, I’m so sorry about your accident. And anout your pain. With the weather we had this past weekend, it would be hard not to take advantage of it and work your butt off. I agree with letting your insurance agent handle it. We’re in AL too (have Alfa - they have been a dream to deal with) and recently had a deer hit DH’s truck. Everything was handled. i don’t know what happens in the case like yours but would assume some haggling goes on with looking at police reports rather than word of mouth, he said/she said, etc. You could be called to reiterate your version, however.

I hope this set-back in your neck is temporary, but my DD had similar from an accident and it would recur periodically. Do you know a good accupuncturist?

amylou321 thanked OutsidePlaying
  • graywings123
    last year

It's hard to quit when you see things that you want to do in the garden. I hope you feel better.

amylou321 thanked graywings123
  • nicole___
    last year

Whoah! Sounds like Geico su%ks! I'm soooooooooooo sorry you had to experience this. I hope the lawyer gets you a nice "vacation" settlement....maybe one of those 6 week vacations....right! Your before and after photos are AMAZING! I know how hard it is to weed by hand. I'm dealing with this with my rental houses. I weed this gravel front yard & parking area twice a year. Takes me 3 hours.

amylou321 thanked nicole___
  • Ally De
    last year

I hope it's only a temporary exacerbation and that soon you're making good progress.

It's hard to accept that sometimes pushing through is not the wisest choice. The older I get, the more my body reminds me that ignoring the reality of an injured part generally doesn't end well...

I played sports in my younger days and pushing through the pain didn't usually result in the amount of agony it does to me now! I can't over-use things - but under-use can be just as bad.

It seems like there is a fine line anymore that I often can't find until I go too far in one direction or the other.

I'm also very glad you have an attorney representing your interests with insurance. Since you weren't at fault and you have sustained some significant damages, you need someone protecting your interests. It won't necessarily be a quick process, but hopefully the outcome is fair.

amylou321 thanked Ally De
  • chisue
    last year

Just another recommendation for pain patches. I use two kinds of Salonpas: The small ones with camphor, menthol, and methyl salicilate; and the large ones with 4% lidocaine. Whiplash is a sort of sprain, and sprains take a long time to heal.

I failed to pay attention to good advice. I dug and delved in the garden. As a result of proving I could (over)do, my hands are ugly and crippled today. Be kind to your future self.

amylou321 thanked chisue
  • amylou321
    Original Author
    last year

Maire-cate, I KNEW there was going to be a problem with Geico because they never called me. I found that odd because when I had been in wrecks before where the other person was at fault, their insurance was calling me within a day to get it taken care of. They did not call at ALL., I had to wait to get a copy of the accident report to get her name and insurance information. As soon as I called them, they told me they already had a claim for that incident, that they deemed it a zero fault incident and that they were 0% liable for anything. I asked them how they came to that conclusion given the accident report. She sighed heavily, and told me if I wanted them to reevaluate, they would send me a link to send in any evidence I had that would warrant such an imposition. Then she asked me if I noticed that the other driver was 88 years old. WHAT does that have to do with anything? I sent in the accident report and estimate for my car at 7:30 am. When I did not hear anything for 6 hours, I called an attorney. I am not going to fight with them to do what they are supposed to do. Even if she lied to them about what happened I gave them solid proof and I did not hear from them again until 2 weeks later, after I had gotten an attorney involved. They wanted to deal with me directly then. Its too late now. Now I am in petty mode.

I mean really, what if I DIDN'T have an extra car I could drive to work? I would have been paying big bucks out of pocket for a rental. I was already HIGHLY irritated that this incident made me an hour late for work that night, and what she did to cause the accident was so STUPID. I was driving one way, she was driving the other way, and she turned left in front of me. There was NOTHING I could do to not hit her, save swerve into oncoming traffic and STILL get hit. There were no cars behind me. She could have waited literally 5 seconds to turn onto the road she wanted to get to. And she was no feeble wilting old lady. She was alert, apologetic, refused medical service, commented on how tall and handsome my SO (who had come to bring me my other car and take my precious corolla home) was, and got right back in her car with her 2 passengers and went on her way after the State trooper dismissed her. While she told the truth to the trooper, she had the presence of mind to lie to her insurance company, knowing that it would be at least a week before I got her info from the report.

I might be a little more touchy about this than I should be because my car that was damaged was my very first car. I bought it brand new when I was 18 with the money I had saved up from working since I was 15. It has been in several wrecks, but not for many years, and I know that it will probably be totaled out. The estimate to fix it is at least 3 times the worth of the car now. Even though I think I could have gotten 10 more years out of it. My SO keeps it very well maintained and running great. It will be a terrible loss.

And it does not help that certain family members tell me to "just buy a new one." And that delves into them assuming that I do not have the money to buy a new car, and then that turns into invasive interrogation about what I spend my money on and how I "should" have enough money to just go buy a new car. It is very irritating and the plague of being the youngest sibling, in which all the older ones feel entitled to know all my business and lecture me on their assumptions on my situation. I never said I could not afford a new car. I certainly can. I said that I should not HAVE to buy a new car. There was nothing wrong with THAT one, until that person caused an accident. Its PRINCIPLE. They immediately dismiss that as me trying to deflect from the fact that I am apparently an irresponsible degenerate who spends all her money on stupid or illicit things. Never mind the fact that I am a homeowner, land owner, pet owner, hobby haver. I guess since I want the insurance company to do what they are supposed to do that makes me broke and financially destitute. 🙄

I took some of my muscle relaxers and anti inflammatories this morning before I went to bed. It helped me sleep but really did not help the pain. I called my doctor who told me to continue taking them as my work schedule allowed and to come see him when they were gone if I was still having problems. He called me in a prescription for some muscle relaxers that he said will not make me sleepy or loopy, so we will see. My hot water bottle is my best friend here lately. SO was kind enough to point out to me that I have a huge knot where my neck meets my shoulder, as if I could not feel it, while I was attempting to blow dry my hair before work today. He is such a prince. 😐 I picked up some salon pas patches and will try them when I get home before I go to bed in the morning. Thanks to those who suggested them. Fingers crossed that they help.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    last year

Amy, I'm sorry you aren't feeling well, wish you didn't have the recurring pain. Being upset about the insurance cannot be helping you relax. You've given it to your atty, now put it out of your mind and just concentrate on your day to day things and feeling better.

It's funny how we get attached to something inanimate like a car, but we do. DH and his brothers are just about the worst offenders there. DH's brother who is my age spent a fortune on a car same model as the first he'd ever bought and owned. He even paid to have it painted, reupholstered in the same colors. I didn't have the heart to tell him driving it would not make him a kid again ;)

Not that I'm suggesting you are doing that, only that you be practical and focus on what you can control - steps toward your health. Your rose garden will be calling you (for shorter periods) before long and you'll want to be in it. (((hugs)))

amylou321 thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • lily316
    last year

I'd be fuming if I were you. Not fair at all to you, the innocent party. Try one of those microwavable things that are filled with a rice-like mixture. They feel good when wrapped around your neck.

amylou321 thanked lily316
  • nicole___
    last year

Amy....Your holding your ground...and hopefully will get 10 X more now you have a lawyer. The opposing party did not do the right thing. You deserve better. I hope your pain subsides....and I admire you as a gardner.

amylou321 thanked nicole___
  • OutsidePlaying
    last year

One other thing i forgot…your insurance will pay directly to the repair shop, so choose whoever you want to do your repairs. You do not have to take the low cost option, and if you want to get the OEM repair facility (e.g., Toyota, Chevy, etc etc)to do the work, Allstate shouldnt argue with you.

And if Geico tries to contact you, just refer them to your Allstate agent or your attorney. You should not talk with them. Your attorney likely told you this already.

Best of luck! And hope your neck starts to feel better soon! Gardening can hurt!

amylou321 thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Allison0704
    last year

Amy, I am sorry to hear about the accident and the trouble that has followed. I've had whiplash once. I can't imagine having to deal with pain for long. I discovered Nature's Willow Willow Balm (purchased from the big A, but Tractor Supply also sells, if one is close to you). It may give you some temporary relief. A friend with Epstein-Barr said it has helped her. I use for neck pain and headaches.

I am surprised your medical insurance is not going after Geico for coverage, as anytime a family member went for treatment (also in AL) the paperwork asks if the issue was caused by an accident, then more questions on when, etc.

Do not know if you are open to CBD products, but DH uses nightly in order to sleep If you'd like, I will tell you want he uses. He also has a lotion I've tried, but the Willow Balm works better for me.

amylou321 thanked Allison0704
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    last year

I have a friend who had the same experience with Geico - the other driver actually crossed the center line, and hit her - which the police report confirmed. Still, Geico refused to pay stating that they couldn't know for sure who was at fault.

I am still dealing with a whiplash injury (from a patient assault) that happened in 2006! Apparently it destabilized the C5-C6 vertebral connection (the way those 2 bones fit together) so that one now has a tendency to slide out of position. I know now that I have to be very careful with my head/neck positioning when I am doing things like weeding. Anything that causes me to tilt my head up or back relative to my shoulders will aggravate. Looking up while reaching up will always cause issues unless I am careful to tuck my chin in. If I am lying on my back, I can't use a pillow. I had to get rid of my road bike with the dropped handlebars.

Ask your MD to refer you to a physical therapist. That was the thing that finally got me on the road to managing the injury. They applied gentle traction and massage, and taught me exercises to strengthen and maintain the proper/protective posture -so flareups are now rare.

Since I can tell when the bones have slipped out of alignment (neck pain and headache, and even numbness down my arm if it's bad) I also got a home cervical traction unit that I use - only a few minutes in it, & I can feel everything straighten out and get almost instant relief. You will have to consult your MD or the PT if you get to one, to see if that will help your particular injury.

I am so sorry that this happened to you and I do hope that your injury recovers fully!

amylou321 thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • amylou321
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

Thanks all. I did ask my doctor about physical therapy. He looked at the imaging that was taken after the original injury and said he did not think I need it, that I just sort of aggravated it by doing too much too soon. He told me to NOT do that anymore until I am completely healed, which he thinks is possible if I just sit down and stop trying to do stuff, take my medications and apply heat from time to time. So that is what I will do. I walk a lot for exercise, and I usually wear a 12 lb weight vest while doing so. I haven't had the vest on since the injury and it feels sort of pointless walking without it, but the doc encouraged me to keep walking, with no added weight because it will aid healing somehow. Luckily, since my gardening faux pas, there is nothing really to be done as far as outside manual work right now. It does feel a little better today. It is not spasming as much anymore, and I was able to get a full days rest. It still hurts big time, but even the small relief that I have is encouraging right now.

• lisa_fla
    last year

Sorry you have all this added aggravation from your accident. I had a great experience when a Geico insured driver hit me. A rental car was waiting for me the next morning. The body shop they used was excellent as well. I think a chiropractor would do wonders for you. They have lots of accident victims as patients.

amylou321 thanked lisa_fla
  • chisue
    last year

Granted, we've had little cause to evaluate insurance companies, but when DH was T-boned by a teen driver at an intersection in our town, her father's insurace company was *excellent*. His insurance was with Chubb.

Glad you're starting to feel better, amylou.

amylou321 thanked chisue
  • blfenton
    last year

Walking without the vest will help with the healing. Walking will help keep your hips and the small of your back moving and not seizing up. Moving your arms will help keep your shoulders and the shoulder blades (if you keep your shoulders down and back) loose. Keep your eyes forward.

Walking without the vest is going to keep the pressure and extra weight off your neck and back and this will help the muscles to begin to heal. Walk half or a quarter of what you regularly do and then build it up. When you're back to regular amt of walking add a lighter vest if you have one. This kind of healing as to be done in stages.

I did post earlier and deleted it as I felt like a B* but going out and doing all that gardening and then going in to get the rest of your steps was a bad move on your part. You will not heal doing those kinds of things. Stretched muscles will take a long time to heal. Listen to your doctor.

amylou321 thanked blfenton
  • lucillle
    last year

Amy how are you feeling today?

amylou321 thanked lucillle
Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida