SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bbstxx

The next great search: white, easy-care slacks

bbstx
last year

Several months back, I posted that I was going to Italy in early June for a culinary tour, along with Sister, DBIL, and another couple who are friends. At the time, we thought we would extend our trip by visiting Switzerland. Well, as is the nature of well-laid plans, these have “gang aft agley,” but not in a bad way. Sister and DBIL are going to take a river cruise, the other couple are going to tour Italy, and I’m going on a Mediterrean cruise.

On our cruise, we will dress for dinner every night. Everything I have seems to require white pants. Although laundry is provided as part of the cruise, I would like some dressy white pants to wear in the evening that can be rinsed out in the sink and will be dry in less than 24 hours. I do not want cotton knit, I do not want lined pants. I’m on the fence about silhouette. I think a slim/straight silhouette is going to be best. A flow-y bottom seems to call for a fitted top. That isn’t going to work on my body type.

What have you seen in white pants lately?

Along with a pair of ON Cloud running shoes, these are the shoes I intend to take. The top pair will be for sightseeing.

Comments (49)

• lizzie_grow
    last year

Maybe check the Brooklyn pants at Athleta. I have a pair in navy & they're comfy & can be dressed up or down. Also light weight enough to wash in a sink They have others in similar fabrics that might work too.

bbstx thanked lizzie_grow
  • lisaam
    last year

https://www.thewhitecompany.com/us/Clothing/c/pants

I have never ordered from this company but their business profile is interesting, simple clothes and what appears to be nice fabrics.

bbstx thanked lisaam
  • Related Discussions

looking 4 easy care - repeat or everbloomin roses

Q

Comments (5)
    Snow Drift was very healthy last year, with just a little bit of black spot late in the season. I died down to the ground last winter, so not as hardy as some of the others. I got it as a band in 2007 so it's pretty small yet. Hot Wonder was a disappointment last year. It got black spot pretty bad, though in 2007 it was much healthier. It is fairly hardy though as it only died back to snow line. It regrows well and puts on a good show. Some think the color is a little harsh, but I like it. Great Wall was another disapointment as it had black spot on par with Hot Wonder. Last year was my first year with it so it wasn't very big yet. I'm will giving mine another year, if it doesn't improve I'll shovel prune it. Champlain is very healthy only getting a little powdery mildew late in the season. It is also hardy to the snow line and is usually one of the first to bloom. Two others that are not on your list that I recommend are My Hero and Chuckles. Both are very healthy and both are hardy to the snow line with good regrowth and lots of flowers. As for cultural practices, I don't spray my roses and I put something down around the base of them in late fall for winter protection. Paul
    ...See More

easy care flowers

Q

Comments (13)
    I recieved two hardy hibiscus this spring that have just started blooming, and tedevore is right, while the flowers are wonderful, they are closed up by late afternoon. I wonder if it is because the late afternoon full sun is too strong for them? I had Maximillian sunflowers in the ground before I moved. What a tall airy bright plant!! I think I will try those in pots and the tithonia as well next year. I had some blanket flowers last year that did not come back- now I see that there are annual and perennial forms- I will try those again as well. Phlox-yes!! Recieved a pastel pink one at the spring swap- love the variety of colors- will be adding more (-: Rudbeckias, tickseed, and coneflowers all sound interesting, as well. The clemantis in my area are all done blooming, will they rebloom? I wonder if I could plant moonflower and morning glories together and achieve round the clock blooms?
    ...See More

Enough slacking ... time to accessorize

Q

Comments (40)
    Juju, This is really out there, but here goes! I was in a waiting room today at the vet's and they had Country Living. I saw a bench in there, not sure if you have any place for it or if you hate it, but figured a Michigander might like the link to the automotive tradition! There are called tailgate benches and they are on Etsy. There are many different kinds. Probably too rustic for you, but I am a sucker for any kind of patina...
    ...See More

Is it easy to care for calathea?

Q

Comments (94)
    my zebra plant dropped the top 2 new leaves!! I’ve been keeping it moist and I know it is moist because the water keeps draining of out the pot. Then yesterday, I withheld some water because I thought I might be overwatering this plant because the tips are turning brown and the leaves are yellowing. Not sure if it’s due to the pesticide but it’s an organic pesticide so it shouldnt i guess. So I thought maybe I overwatered. The soil is still moist throughout the day but it suddenly dropped 1 new leaf. then I watered and this morning another leaf was dropped. what might have caused it?
    ...See More
  • deegw
    last year

Would you be comfortable with white denim? I have a couple pair that are light weight and the fabric is not as textured as conventional denim. Although, if you're on the water it might be a stretch for them to dry in 24 hours.

I have those Jacks, they are surprisingly comfortable for a shoe that is basically a piece of leather with no padding.

bbstx thanked deegw
  • Kswl
    last year
    last modified: last year

I dont know if Eileen Fisher still makes the bi-stretch side zip slacks, but I have several pair in white— which is not stark white but a beautiful, slightly off white that looks great with tops that do incorporate stark white. I have never put mine in the dryer and if hung properly they dry in 24 hours and look ok to wear. I usually send them to the laundry for ironing but not because I have to. They are a substantial weight but not hot, have no pockets and a flat front. They hit right at the ankle where there is about a two inch vent in the outside seam.

bbstx thanked Kswl
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    last year

Deegw, denim is not allowed in the public areas after 6 p.m. And while I own several pair of white denim pants, I think they would be too heavy for a Med cruise. Plus, as you note, they would never dry.

kswl, I have a pair of black EF pants that are perfect. Wish I had them in white. They are a very lightweight, crepe texture. I looked through all of her pants on her website. I also looked at EF on Garnet Hill and several other big retailers (Nordstrom, Neiman-Marcus, and Bloomies). I didn’t see what I was looking for.

ETA: I think I’ve found the EF in white. I’ve ordered these to see what they look like. https://www.eileenfisher.com/washable-stretch-crepe-pant/S3TK1-P0696-STEEL.html?loc=US

Part of the services provided by the ship is free laundry. It is described as ”washed, pressed, and folded.” I’m not sure what that would mean for my white linen slacks. My plan was to wear them dried but unironed during the day while sightseeing. I think rumpled linen looks okay for casual wear, but I can’t imagine wearing it with a silk top to the DR.

The Athleta Brooklyn pants don’t appear to come in white. There is a pale gray. I don’t do well with gray clothing. However, after I check the return policy, I may order them. The description sounds perfect!

Lisaam, love the pants at the site you linked. They would be great for day wear, but aren’t quite what I’m looking for for after 6. Thanks for introducing me to them!

• Sueb20
    last year

Did you check Little Donkey Andy?

Sorry, couldn’t resist, that name just made me laugh.

bbstx thanked Sueb20
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    last year

Sueb20, I promise I wondered if she bought them just for the name!!! 🤦🏻‍♀️

• Kswl
    last year

BBstx I also have the EF pull on, slim leg crepe slacks in every colour, but they bag terribly in the seat after a day. I can only get one wear out of them and IMO that makes them unsuitsble for vacation, where ideally things could be worn at least twice.

bbstx thanked Kswl
  • summersrhythm_z6a
    last year

I have about 12 pairs of white pants or jeans. They‘re all thick cotton/linen. Lands End has white travel pants on sale now for $34.96 Cotton/polyester/spandex blend could be a wonderful choice for travel pants.

bbstx thanked summersrhythm_z6a
  • laceyvail 6A, WV
    last year

You might want to focus on light weight linen. It dries much faster than cotton.

bbstx thanked laceyvail 6A, WV
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    last year

Can't really help here. I don't know of any pants that would dry overnight. But I could never bring white pants on vacay with me because I know they would get a stain on them I wouldn't be able to get out. That's just how it always swings for me.

Will you be bringing a skirt as well? Somehow a skirt seems more dressy for dinner and just as easy to wear, especially in a hot climate. And a simple skirt would wash and dry faster than slacks.

bbstx thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • maggieq
    last year

Your Plan B Med cruise sounds perfect! Chicos has several versions of their Brigitte pants in white. Might give them a look.

bbstx thanked maggieq
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    last year

This trip almost calls for 2 separate wardrobes: One for the Italian culinary tour portion and one for the cruise.

The culinary tour is very very casual. I haven’t started laying things out and creating my spreadsheet yet, but it is going to be mostly linen and the Munro sandals.

The cruise is a little dressier. The daytime dress code is ”resort casual.” The evening dress code is ”elegant casual.” I can wear the linen during the day, but I’m going to need dressier clothes for the evening.

Of course, my EF work-horse(s) are going with me. I have this dress in navy and in black. It can be washed out in the sink and will dry overnight. I’ve ordered another one in beige. Beige isn’t my best color. I’ll have to see how it looks when I get it in.

Lacey, I love linen and I don’t mind the rumpled look for daytime. But I think for ”elegant casual” I need something a little neater looking.

Summersrhythm, are you my mother? She loved white pants and had a closetful! Once when she went on a cruise, I think she took 2 pair of white pants for every day of the cruise so that she would always have on pristine white pants. I looked at the Lands’ End white pants and rejected them because I didn’t think they would dry quickly enough. I’ll give them a re-look.

Annie, on my ”possibilities” list are 2 white skirts. One is a flow-y, white gauze midi. The other is a heavier cotton with a bit of stretch. It is straight and about the length of a pair of bermuda shorts. Neither will work with the silk blouses I’m taking. Although my blouses are typical Lilly prints, below is a picture in a solid that will let you see the silhouette clearly

Kswl, have you ever tried misting the seat of your EF stretch crepe pants with water to see if they will tighten up so you can get another wearing out of them? My mother and her sister used to call that ”rump sprung.” I haven’t noticed it in my black pants but they are ”easy fit” instead of ”slim fit.”

I always said I would never go to Greece or cruise the Mediterranean in the summer. And here I am doing it.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    last year

Maggie, thanks for the Chico’s reminder. I always forget to look there.

• nicole___
    last year

I hate buying pants online, unless I know the name brand and have ordered before. Do you have a Talbots nearby?

bbstx thanked nicole___
  • Kswl
    last year

Bbstx i have never even heard of doing that but I’m trying it at the first opportunity!

Agree the style and length of the pink LP blouse you posted would def not work with a skirt. Have you checked the EF Renew site? If you are looking for white pants in an old style you liked you’ll probably find them there. I’ve gotten several pairs of my now discontinued favorite cotton poplin side zip ankle pants from Renew, professionally laundered and ironed and in perfect condition for $55!

bbstx thanked Kswl
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    last year

I have those EF pants in graphite. They dry in my clothes dryer in about 10 minutes flat and I think would hang dry overnight fairly easily. I've never ironed them, but again, I put them in the clothes dryer. They don't wrinkle or crease at knees back when riding distances in a car - they may hang dry unwrinkled easily too.

I tried washing a pair of cotton knit pants and hanging them from a towel bar on a trip and I think I carried those pants around in plastic bag in my luggage damp for a couple of days, unpacking and hanging each night...they were not going to dry without some heat or air movement! No cotton knits.

bbstx thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • texanjana
    last year

What cruise line is it? I have been on many cruises and have worn white linen and white denim pants to dinner multiple times. The wardrobe on all lines is much more casual than it used to be. Laundry turnaround is usually 24 hours.

The hills and cobblestones in the Med are brutal, so supportive and padded footwear is a must. I was last there in October and it was also very hot. Much hotter than I thought it would be at that time of year. Hope you enjoy your trip!

bbstx thanked texanjana
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    last year

Texanjana, Regent Seven Seas. Do you know anything about their laundry services? Reviews talk about their “stretching out” clothes. I think what is happening is they are washing and drying in hot hot water and it is degrading the spandex and leaving the clothes baggy.

My problem with denim besides the dress code is that I think it is too hot for summertime. I might wear a pair of white jeans if I know I’m going straight from my car to wherever.

morz8, your experience is exactly what I envision with cotton knits!

nicole_, there is no Talbots in the little town where I live. However, I know exactly how the Chatham pants fit. I have 2 pair of white Chatham pants. One is thin and will go with me. The other is much much heavier, too heavy for summer wear for me.

I’m visiting where there is an Athleta and a Chico’s. I did a little recon today. Chico’s Bridgette fit nicely but was a bit on the heavy side. Athleta’s Brooklyn does not come in white. The lightest color is what I would call light khaki or light stone. It wasn’t even off-white. The sales clerk said she had never seen them in white. Plus, I think the knit panel down the side makes them too casual for my needs.

• barncatz
    last year

I've had great luck with Lisette L pants. I did a search for white pants on their website https://lisettel.com/ and they did show some styles. I think you can find them at big A and maybe the Z shoe store and other sites. They're supposed to be hung to dry - they're synthetic and I think dry quickly.

bbstx thanked barncatz
  • Arapaho-Rd
    last year

I came across this article from Travel and Leisure-

Best Travel Pants Women 2023

Maybe some come in white.

Susan Graver at QVC makes lots of pull-on, no wrinkle fabric pants - she may have some white ones. I don't have any but know someone that likes her pants.

• Lyban zone 4
    last year

i like these from macys. i think a bit of flare ar bottom make them look a little dressier for dinner on a cruise, they have white and black.

bbstx thanked Lyban zone 4
  • OutsidePlaying
    last year

Dont forget Eileen Fisher Renew. i’ve had pretty good luck finding items there in my size that fill in a hole in my wardrobe. I’m fairly certain I’ve seen several pair of white washable crepe pants there recently. Just keep looking every few days as things are added all the time.

bbstx thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Arapaho-Rd
    last year

Just saw the Everlane Dream Pant listed as a good travel pant.

bbstx thanked Arapaho-Rd
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    last year

It appears that I composed a comment but forgot to post it. 🙄

I looked at EF Renew. They had the pants I want, but the only pair in my size are listed as having ”discoloration on the seat.” I can make big enough mess on my own. I don’t need pre-stained pants. HA!

The Everlane Dream Pant doesn’t come in white. Nevertheless, I poked around the Everlane site. They are having a tremendous sale, if you are an Everlane fan and know what size you wear. Sale items are final.

ETA: I spent 6 hours in the car with DD today. It is her opinion that rumpled linen is perfect for every occasion. I need to try on some linen pants with my silk LP blouses and test her theory.

• OutsidePlaying
    last year

I’m with you on anything that has stains or some other imperfections on EF Renew. Keep checking though as some may show up that are perfect.

bbstx thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Funkyart
    last year

Have you tried Nic + Zoe? A lot of their pants are denim or polyester but I have worn both their cotton side zip perfect pant and the wonderstretch and both look great after wearing in the office all day-- I would not recommend the wonderstretch for high temps but this one looked like a possibility if you are open to a crop?

All Day Slim Wide Crop Pant | NIC+ZOE (nicandzoe.com)

If you will be in a/c and are not concerned with man-made fibers, this looks like a possibility too

Work It Wide-Leg Trouser | NIC+ZOE (nicandzoe.com)

I also love a side zip pant -- so clean for a dressier look. If you are ok with ivory, I think this pant at Ann Taylor is lovely-- and I also so white slim leg pants at Brooks Brothers and a pleated style from Anne Klein at Macy's.

Your trip sounds so fun-- hope you can get your wardrobe set quickly so you can just look forward to the experiences!

bbstx thanked Funkyart
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    last year

I think I’m going to have to use straight pants as a stepping stone between skinny/slim pants and wide pants. I’m not sure I can just go straight into wide pants. ;-)

I don’t wear crop pants. In my mind’s eye, I’m tall and willowy, but the mirror tells me otherwise. Crop pants aren’t my best silhouette.

• Funkyart
    last year

Gotcha -- and sorry if i missed that in earlier discussions. A lot of what I am seeing are wider leg styles. Talbots consistently offers straight leg style pants but I don't find the dressier styles to be great for very hot temps. Even when they bring out their linen trousers, the white will be lined.

Do you like the Talbot's chatham pant? I believe I saw those in a side zip and white.

The JJill Essential Cotton pants are not what I would consider "dressy" but they are lightweight and not cropped. IME they do stretch out quickly though.

Essential Cotton-Stretch Pants | JJill

bbstx thanked Funkyart
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    last year

I love Talbot’s Chatham pants. I have multiple pairs in the basic colors. I even have a pair of bright blue that I bought because ”wow! look at that price!!” I’ve never worn the bright blue pair. 🤦🏻‍♀️ I have 2 pair in white, but one pair is very very heavy, much heavier than the other pair and much too heavy for this vacation.

I looked at JJill. I think I’ll pass on the Essential Cotton because I wouldn’t expect them to dry in my time frame and, more importantly, you think they stretch out. For travel, I really want reliable clothing that can be worn more than once.

And speaking of being worn more than once, for a 10 day cruise, I think for evening I can get away with 2-3 dresses, 3 pair of pants and 3 tops. I believe it is going to be harder for me to get 2 days’ wear out of the clothes I wear on excursions. @texanjana confirmed everything I had read…it is going to be hot, hot, hot, and probably dirty/dusty, too.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    last year

Bought a pair of Chico’s Bridgette pants today. Looked at the JJill Essential Pants but didn’t buy. They are really heavy. I passed. The jury is still out on the Bridgettes.

• Kswl
    last year

I am following your cruise packing closely, BBstx. DH and I are going on a river cruise in August for 17 days and I need good walking sandals and some no-shrink lightweight cotton clothing. Nothing dressy but I wear skirts and dresses in hot weather so I’m on the lookout 🕵️‍♀️ I’m looking for things that can take the wrath of a commercial laundry!

bbstx thanked Kswl
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    last year

I did a head to head comparison of Chico’s Bridgette pants and EF’s stretch crepe. EF’s stretch crepe pants are much lighter weight than Chico’s Bridgette. I finally thought of someone who probably has a pair of Chico’s Bridgette pants - my sister! Yes, she does and she loves them especially for travel. However, she has never washed them while on a trip. I think the EF pants are going to be the winner!

@Kswl, a river cruise. What fun! The sandals I’ve bought for walking are Munro PIsces in gunmetal. They get great reviews. I haven’t had them long enough to really test them out. I think linen could withstand a commercial laundry. However, I might buy it a just a shade large and pre-wash at home a couple of times, then have it altered to fit. The woman I use for alterations will not alter a washable garment until its been washed at least once. Look at Quince for linen. I bought something from them last year. I thought the quality was good, but it didn’t flatter me. YMMV.

• Kswl
    last year

Thank you BBstx, I will look there. I am medium height and favor ankle length or slightly cropped slacks and high hip length or slightly cropped (no tummy on display!) boxy tops, flats, and shorts at least 7 or 8” long. This dress from Saint James is an example of the type dress I am taking, I’m waiting for the larger than usual size I buy to come back in stock, as this cotton really does shrink!

Please let me know how the sandals do as you break them in.

bbstx thanked Kswl
  • jb1586
    last year

KSWL and BBstx, also try FLAX for linen separates. Well made and comfortable, but may not be dressy enough for dinners on the cruises. Great for daytime and easy to care for.

bbstx thanked jb1586
  • texanjana
    last year

bbstx-Regent is a great cruise line. We really enjoyed the food the time that we sailed with them. As for laundry, My husband had them do all of his and I had them do some of mine. I have some things I prefer to wash in cold water and hang to dry, and I did those in the self-service laundry room onboard. The items that they laundered were fin, not stretched or shrunken. You will be fine wearing linen or white denim to dinner on Regent, but as you said linen is lighter plus denim is bulkier in a suitcase.

bbstx thanked texanjana
  • Kswl
    last year

The Flax site clothing is pretty unstructured and it looks like the waistbands are all gathered elastic. The colors are very pretty but the styles look like they would swallow a person whole!

bbstx thanked Kswl
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

My DD has 2 pair of these, hand washes them when she travels, and loves them. You could always try them and return them if they don't suit.

https://www.amazon.com/NIC-ZOE-Womens-Refreshed-Linen/dp/B07PT86DYT?th=1

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

I just came back from a tropical vacation, and I have two shoe recommendations. Warning, they are both kind of tacky. But they have been really great for walking in the heat. If I am just hopping down to the bar or dinner, or going someplace in a cab, I put on nice, leather, heels instead. By contrast these are not for looks, but rather for when I want to be sure I will be fully ambulatory.

First, if I want a heel, I don these. The top is soft and stretchy, and the bottom is just a wedge of foam really. Very lightweight and cool. Yes the brand was out 40 years ago. I prefer to wear them with something long and flowy so they are hidden! Shhhhh. They do come in other colors.

If I don't want a heel (eg cobblestones or uneven terrain), I have fallen for these from Kohl's. The top feels like a mesh sock and the bottom like a sneaker. Breathable, lighteweight, and no blisters ever. I admit to owning these in leopard but I just got new ones in light blue.

bbstx thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Funkyart
    last year

Similar to the last shoe Mtn shared, I really like the Ugg Sammy -- not the wave version and not the alameda .. the plain ribbed sammy. They are getting hard to find so I have backups of the colors I wear. The rose gold (below) and the gray both have a little sparkle to them. The other colors do not.

Never a blister.. breathable, light and as comfortable as sneakers but just a touch more refined (and sparkle!) .. I also think it makes my size 10 foot look cute (unlike similar styles from other brands)!

bbstx thanked Funkyart
  • salonva
    last year

'I'm off to study the shoes but I did want to highly recommend Teva Tirra Sandals. I got them last year for our trip to Portugal ( cobblestone central). I have never had a pair of shoes so so so so so comfortable from day one. I didn't want to wear any other shoes. They get very good reviews but I swear I felt like they were custom made for me. They're ok looking, not bad, not good, but the comfort!!! And so lightweight.

( I'm really going to study the closed shoes because I do believe they are needed).

bbstx thanked salonva
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

Funky, I am going to have to look at those, I think the ribbing elevates the look. Funky, the name is just "Ugg Sammy"?

• bbstx
    Original Author
    last year

The UGG Sammy is carried by DSW for about 1/2 the price of Zappos. The comments are that they run narrow. That is a plus for me. I can’t decide between the gray and the pink. I always gravitate to pink, but I think the gray may be more versatile for travel.

ETA: I ordered the gray and the pink. Y’all are such enablers!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

I saw that too, BBSTX. I think the pink is fun, also like the white, I might still get the lgith blue ones I ordered.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    last year

This EF dress arrived today. It is VERY lightweight but not see through fabric. It is not a knit like I thought. It is described as ”seersucker.” Not really, but it does have a little bit of texture. I’m a little concerned about wrinkling. It has distinct fold lines that have not fallen out in the hour it has been hanging.

Do any of you know about 100% Tencel Lyocel as far a wrinkles? Am I going to be able to rinse this out in the sink, roll it in a towel, and hang to dry and be able to put it on without further care?

It looks good with my Munro sandals and also with the Jacks. Beige is not my best color but it isn’t my worst either. I’m definitely going to need to spark it up with some accessories. What are your suggestions for accessories, bearing in mind that it is going to be hotter than the face of the sun when I’m wearing it.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

Something light like wooden beads.

• Funkyart
    last year

Sorry I wasn't online to answer your questions -- but glad you found them. I pick them up whenever I find them in the $50 range. I have the gray (with silver threads) rose gold (with gold threads) and I ordered the white this afternoon (for $20 more than the dsw price, darnit!). I don't find that they run all that narrow-- but they are forgiving with the stretchy fabric. I have a slightly wide foot.

I hope you guys love them as much as I do!

PSA: I recently got a pair of the Ugg "Alameda Sammy" ... I do not care for that version at all. They are clunkier and do not have the leather trim around the base.

bbstx thanked Funkyart
  • Kswl
    last year

Cute dress, Bbstx! I would probably wear either wooden beads as Mtn suggested or a gold chain and pendant of some kind and gold bracelets. . A scarf, even a light one, would be too hot for daytime.

bbstx thanked Kswl