SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gtdj519

Do these bathroom tiles pair well together ?

gtdj519
last year
last modified: last year

Hi

I am trying to get an estimate for a small master bathroom renovation. I need to show my GC ideas/ materia so he can give me an accurate estimate. This is one combo of ideas I have, however, I am unsure if installing the shiwer wall tiles in a herringbone pattern would look okay with the mosiac floor. I know herringbone cost more, so if it doesn’t work well with the floor, then I‘d like to know what layout would work so I can present it to him. Herringbone tiles will only be in shower, The walls behind the sink and / toilet will just be painted., not planning on adding tiles there.

This is one set of ideas I have. I have another set of ideas similar to these, but in slightly diffent color/ pattern. Figured id start with this one first and see the feedback. Also included pics of current bathroom space being renovated .

Mosaic Floor tile

Shower tile for 3 walls in herringbone pattern(?)

shower floor penny tiles

vanity in this color / possible style

Light over mirror in polished nickel

faucet polished nickel

Current bathroom space- everything is being ripped out and replaced.. nothing is staying.

Comments (29)

• emily9972
    last year

That's a really pretty mosaic floor tile. While I do love the penny round, I'm thinking it might be too busy next to the mosaic given how visible the floor and shower floor are together. It's also hard to tell from the photos if the pennyround and vanity colors go together. Penny round looks gray-ish and the vanity looks more cream with peach/pink undertones. Cool light fixture.

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks emily9972. The colors on computers/ phones are always terrible!!

the vanity is a color called eggshell- its an off white. The vanity comes in other colors as well; plenty to choose from, but Inthought this color looked nice in person. I could get it in white, a light gray, or even wood tones. It doesnt have any pink/ peach color to it.

The penny rounds are plain matte. The wall tile is white, so I thought white penny round would go (?)

. Nothing is purchased , i am just putting together ideas, making a plan./ vision board. Im curious about the 4x12 wall tile in herringbone working with the mosaic floor. Im not sure if it would work well.

• Related Discussions

White paint color to pair w/ white subway tile in bathroom?

Q

Comments (8)
    If trim in MBr doesn't work, try White Dove. Without seeing the tile in person I can't advise as to whether it will work. I like to prime and paint a piece of trim (about 12" or so) so I can get a good idea of the color and carry it around with me. White Dove is a no, go with a white that doesn't have obvious tones jumping out at you (yellow, pink) when you compare the tile and paint side by side. Again, working up a trim sample is always better than choosing off the paint chip. Try Cotton Balls (OC 122), Cloud White (OC-130), or Decorators White
    ...See More

Bathroom cabinets and tile don't work together...help!

Q

Comments (51)
    Hi all, we are mostly finished with this and I thought I would post finished pics since many of you gave me advice. We decided not to paint the cabinets in the bathroom after all, and I think it's perfectly nice (if a bit boring.) It's better in person than in pictures for some reason. We also color blocked the walls and I think it's pretty nice although probably not everyone's taste.
    ...See More

what do you do with pink tile in the master bathroom?

Q

Comments (6)
    Tile on my (tiny iPhone) screen looks gold/grey. Is there another view that brings out the pink? The granite top looks very 80s and combined with 80s panelled cabinet doors seem at odds with the tiles which have a more 20s/30s vibe. Can you change door fronts to something flat and simple, and change bench top to better match the new wall colour and a simpler light. Best of luck.
    ...See More

I need to pair Dover white with a complementary colors for my bathroom

Q

Comments (3)
    We have dover white (walls, cabs and trim) in a master bath with a carrara marble vanity top and i like how they go together - we have a white herringbone tile floor tho no grey floor
    ...See More
  • gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

I can look at other options for shower floor if penny tile doesnt work well. The 4x12 tile isnt wavy- it has a pearl finish, but i could see how you thought that, but its not wavy. Im still wondeing about the idea of uding the 4x12 in herringbone layout for the walls?

• kandrewspa
    last year

Your instinct is correct, herringbone would be too busy. Just do a brick lay or vertical stack pattern (more modern look) of the rectangular tile on the shower walls and see if they have a hex or square matte version in a 1-2" size of the wall tile for the shower floor so you don't have to be concerned about matching whites. If that brand doesn't have different sizes, look at other brands for matching products. I learned my lesson on one of the first baths I remodeled and am passing the knowledge on. :-) If you haven't already, compile an Ideabook of pictures of bathrooms you like to help you refine what you like.

gtdj519 thanked kandrewspa
  • Mrs. S
    last year

To me, your individual choices are very nice and pretty, but it all looks really super busy, especially together. Too much, too much. There needs to be something that is kept simple. That your vanity is "eggshell" is also a red flag in terms of color, imho.

"Eggshell" could mean anything from cream to off-white/gray, warm or cool. Do you have the vanity and have you compared the undertones of the 3 different tiles you have?

Some gray/marble looking tile, whether stone or porcelain, could have cool white undertones, and some could have some warm/gold running through. Have you taken home samples to be sure all 3 of your tiles complement what I suspect might be a warm/creamy Eggshell color of the vanity?

Next, I am not a pro (!!!) but your vanity looks bit farmhouse/traditional to me with the open storage (for baskets?) and the shaker doors. I'd like the penny tile with that vanity, but i'm really unsure about the faux marble-looking subway tile. To me, it's not a good enough fake to make sense... and doing it in a herringbone pattern is just too much, imho. Finally, the sunburst tile, while gorgeous, is going to be mostly grout and therefore get dirty easily. I wouldn't want that, but even if you're ok with all that, it looks a little glam, don't you think?, with the traditional stuff you've selected. I'd see that on a backsplash in a more modern kitchen, and not a floor.

And, by the way, is your installer really, really good to go with the penny tiles?? Go up to the search bar above here, and look for threads on major issues with penny tile installation--be prepared and ask a lot of up-front questions in that regard.

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks Mrs. S

the vanity is mot purchased, and it also, comes in many other finishes / colors , so no big deal to change that if needed.

Thanks for heads up about penny tile. Ive never had them, but so far it doesnt seem like a good choice. I thought some tupe of simple, small tile would be good for a shower floor. What do people use for shower floors? I have 4x4 square ones currently and dont like them

Im not sure what you are talking about with faux marble tile (?) I dont have any faux marble tile- the subway is a plain white tile, with a pearl finish.

thanks for ooinion about herringbone maybe being too busy.

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you kandrewspa. very helpful tips

I did not see a smaller match to the wall tile, but I will doible check, as I too know how hard whites are to match!! You’re correct. The pearl finish is pretty, , so hopefully they do. Thanks for letting me know that the herringbone may be too much with the floor. I will think about different layout for walls..Vertical stack or vertical offset may be pretty. I will olay around with that idea.

I did see a small version match to the mosaic floor (they had penny rounds or 1 x1 squares.) Maybe one of those could work?

• cpartist
    last year

Do the mosaic on the shower floor and the main floor and then pick a VERY SIMPLE tile for the walls of the shower. While what you picked is not wavy, it appears to be so. Less is more. Let the floor be the star.

And since the floor is a mosaic, it should also be able to be used for the shower floor.

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks for the advice cpartist. I will see about the shower floor , as I recall a small coordinating tile that was part of the mosaic tile collection.

This is a sample of the considered wall tile.

I was considering it for for my kitchen, but decided on a different tile . It

is plain , with a pearl finish. This is too much with the mosaic? I’m not sure how much plainer to go. A white glossy? The finish is a bit different being a pearl finish; but I didnt think it was too far off from a plain white glossy. (?)

• Mrs. S
    last year

Note: that's how different computer screens can appear---that in your first photo of the subway tile, it appears gray and white swirly, foggy like a faux marble.

I still think that if you're doing a mosaic on the floor, especially a fancy one, that the walls ought to be simpler and probably not too geometric. I wouldn't do subway tile on the walls, but maybe I would see if your installer is capable of larger format, plainer tile, to let your floors be the star. And then perhaps choose one that has a 2X2 in the same colorway for the shower floor.

gtdj519 thanked Mrs. S
  • gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

Mrs.S- isnt it strange how different things look in pics and computer? Its really frustrating for sure.

Thank you for the sugegstions! I appreciate your opinion and ideas.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

Mosaic on BATH FLOOR AND SHOWER WALLS.

No one argues it's a pretty floor. But pairing these? Is always a challenge. If you love it? Use it both places, and find a 1 x 2 matte white porcelain mosaic for the shower floor. Or the palest gray.

I don't love the vanity ) But I would stick to WHITE. And I would avoid polished nickel like the plague. Chrome is forever, and just as pretty, and a far easier upkeep. Want to mix warm brass? Add it in cabinet hardware, a mirror, lighting

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you Jan, but I dont want the mosiac on the floor mosaic and on the walls as well. For one, cleaning and upkeep in s shower would be a nightmare , second, I think would just be way too much being on floor and walls, third, , the cost would kill the budget, as the mosaic is expensive.($90 SF)

a small scale white porcelain shower floor is what im looking into.

The vanity is Bertch and they come in tons of colors:/ finishes. Im not opposed to another color/ finish. easy thing to reconsider and change Same for the style of it ; lots of styles to choose from.

I chose polished nickel because the light fixture is polished nickel. Its a small bathroom with not much opportunity to mix metal finishes, so I figured i would just keep the faucet and small vanity hardware polished nickel as well. 🤷‍♀️

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

I also have rhis mosaic floor we like and are considering. Similar in stylr to the first one, but gray/ white in color.

also, a few people mentioned the vanity. The vanity comes in many styles and colors, , so it will be easy to find something to work well. Its the tile selection I am trying to figure out.

If i go with this floor mosaic, I could do a light gray or white vanity.

But even if I choose this floor, I still need to figure out shower wall and shower floor.

• Kate
    last year

For a small bath stick with a vanity that is closed, no open shelf, for max storage and less clutter. The shaker vanity isn’t sophisticated enough for the beautiful mosaic tile.

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you Kate. Im not concerned about the vanity. There are many styles to choose from Bertch. Yes Yes, I agree, storage is important; I have zero right now!! . Im just showing one as an example. Im trying to figure out wall tile/ shower floor tile to work with the mosaic; ; thats really what I am concentrating on and question is about. Thank you; yes, , I too think they are both really pretty mosaics . Not sure which one to choose really. Either I find nothing that I like or Im stuck between 2 I cant decide about! LOL

• Cynthia
    last year

Ok, LOVE that mosaic! I would do the wall tile in a vertical straight soldier stack. No to the penny on the shower floor. Square simple mosaic. Post pics when you are done!

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you Cynthia. I appreciate the ideas about tile. Someone else also suggested that as well about verticsl tile placement and I am exploring that idea. But which mosaic are you referring to? the first ( beige/ gray/white) or second ( gray /white)

• cpartist
    last year

I chose polished nickel because the light fixture is polished nickel. Its a small bathroom with not much opportunity to mix metal finishes, so I figured i would just keep the faucet and small vanity hardware polished nickel as well

Don't waste your money on the polished nickel. No one will notice the light fixture is different than the faucets etc. Don't believe me? My guest bath has polished nickel for the shower head (it was a freebie my sister couldn't use) and I did my faucets, etc in chrome. Not one person in 4 years has noticed the difference, even if I point it out to them. As long as the two aren't right on top of one another you're fine and you'll save a heck of a lot of money.

I think seeing the new pic of the tile, it could work. I would not however do a herringbone. That will be too much. Either a stacked or typical subway layout with a matching grout.

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

LOL… funny about no one noticing.. I hear you; nonine will Its our master barh, so no one goes in there but me and my husband. aside from cost, how different is polished nickel to care for compared to chrome? I have chrome in all bathrooms, just installed chrome kitchen faucet with new renovation. A few advised against it in the kitchen because it shows fingerprints, but i have zero regrets and am very happy with chrome in the kitchen. Is it just cost that polished nickel is not recommended for bathroom or other reasons? Ive never had polished nickel, so I am not familiar with the finish.

thanks for tile advice. Seems

like concensus is no to herringbone with this mosaic. Understood.

• mileaday None
    last year

I know absolutely nothing about tile but I have to choose tiles for 2 bathrooms. I love the tile in the first picture and would like to see it “up close and personal”. Do you have a name and brand that will help me find it? Thank you, gtdj519

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

Sure mileaday none It is by artistic tile called motor city in color vanilla onyx.

they are both really pretty ; cant decide myself

• Kelly Jones
    last year

I love the 1st tile! I would 2nd the suggestion to continue it to the shower floor. I would then use a large tile for the shower walls. Definately no to the herringbone and to the subway size tile.

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks kelly jones

i too think its nice when the floor matches the shower floor in a small barh, , but i have 2 issues with doing it here .

1. both mosaics have marble in them and tight intricate grout lines. I dont want marble in the shower. I have marble floor in one shower in another barhroom; its fine, but I do have to be careful. Its not much iof an issue as its infrequently used.

2. cost. these mosaics are 70-90 SF .

id rather go with something in matte porcelain or ceramic for shower floor.

I agree, everyone is right that herringbone may be too much. With either one, i am thinking a vertical offset stack may look nice with 3x12 or 4x12… a larger size subway.

a layout like this. Not this tile color or size, jist the layout of vertical offset

• cpartist
    last year

1. both mosaics have marble in them and tight intricate grout lines. I dont want marble in the shower. I have marble floor in one shower in another barhroom; its fine, but I do have to be careful.

I have a marble mosaic in my master bath shower. I've had it for 4 years. I don't use special body soaps or special anything. Only thing I don't use in that shower is bleach. I've had no issues with mine and mine also has onyx in it.

Additionally, think of all the marble that is used throughout Europe and it's been around a lot longer than us and gets more abuse than we'll ever give it in a shower.

2. cost. these mosaics are 70-90 SF .

How big is that shower and how long are you planning on staying in your house?

My shower is 4' x 5' so if I used my measurements, and the higher $90 sq foot number, that would mean I'm paying $1800 for the shower floor. Now I know in my house I'm planning on staying here at least 10 years. That breaks down to $180 a year for that gorgeous tile or $15 a month. Is it worth giving up two Starbucks Thin Mint Mocha's a month for a floor you love and will be looking at daily? Of course only you can decide. :)

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

Thnank you cpartist

i too have marble in another bathroom shower , but it is not a frequently used bathroom.. I do like to use bleach/ softscrub cleanser to thoroughly clean and disinfect our showers that get frequent and daily use, so having marble on the shower floor in there does give me some concern .

as dor the cost, I unfortunately do have a budget to stay in . We are finishing off a kitchen, bathroom, hardwood floor refinishing , fireplace refinishing. job. It was very costly to do all of those at once, so whatever we have leftover financially is what we have to work with for thie master bath remodel. It makes sense what you are saying, I totally get it, but using a mosaic that may be 6-9 times the cost. A floor for $200-$400 compared to 1400-1800 is significant. its 1,200 1,400 difference.

When you're crunching numbers to make something happen, it does make a difference. I wish that wasn’t the case, but it is what it is 🤷‍♀️

hopefully some of the other options suggested can work and still look nice. Im sure it can

• cpartist
    last year

I hear you as when I picked my quartzite for my counters, I did the same teeth grinding. LOL. I eventually decided to go with the quartzite even though it was close to 3x the price of my next choice and cut back on other things that weren't as important to me.

And one of the things I really wanted was quarter sawn oak moldings thoughout the house. I wound up with painted moldings because of the cost difference. i could justify the quartzite, but not the all wood molding.

Of course we all have to make our own decisions based on our budgets, etc and of course where we want and need to spend our money.

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

Yeah… we gotta give some to get some. Our master is old and in desperate need of storage and overhaul. We really cant put it off any longer, but have limited funds left over to do so.

So, we have to pick and choose wisely to come out on budget and not break it. We figure we can do some nicer elements, and scale back on other areas of the bathroom. Our main goal is to have a better functioning bathroom, even if it isn't as decked out as we would like it to be.

if I were you, i would have chosen the quartzite as well 😉 good choice! im a sucker for beautiful stone and mosaics etc. My thought is , although I would love the whole floor/ shower floor in some beautiful mosaic, , I would be equally as happy with just part of it; because if the budget was even tighter, I may very well not be able to have any if it. I’ll take what I can get 😂