SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_526825737

HELP! Custom Home Floor Plan + Elevation Advice on Coastal House

Mel
last year

I’m fairly new to Houzz but am in the process of building a custom home and would love to hear some thoughts from other professionals/home owners. I have my “final” plans back from the architect (“final” because if I decide to change them they won’t be final). I won’t start the official building of the house for another 6-12 months so I have time.

I’m torn between making this house a modern coastal house or a modern mediterranean style. If I go Mediterranean I’d change the walkthroughs to arches, make the “fireplace” a plaster/limewash look, do black/black windows, organic style tiles, etc. But for the most part the Mediterranean style will come from the interior design (furniture, decor, etc).

Notes/background

• Ignore the siding on the elevation. It was just a placeholder. The exterior will be Hardie board, board and batten style.
  • The barn doors will be a modern style. Most of the doors will be kept open 24/7 and I didn’t want to sacrifice space with the door opening radius. I may swap out some for pocket doors.
  • Ignore the kitchen appliance layout (dishwasher, microwave, etc). I am working with my cabinet guy on this but the microwave and dishwasher will be in the island.
  • Bedroom 2 will actually be a gym/guest bedroom. Bedroom 3 will be an office.
  • Laundry room has a dog wash station.
  • There is an elevator on the floor plan. For now, it will just be outfitted (electrical, etc) for an elevator to be added at a later date.
  • The house needs to be on pilings.
  • There will be a fenced yard on the size of the house where the back porch is. The back of the lot is woodlands/wetlands and there is a retaining wall.
  • I’m not entirely concerned about resell value. This is a house I’m building for me, I’ll worry about resell value years down the road but I’m the one living in it everyday.

My questions

• What could I do to make the exterior elevation more Mediterranean style and would that increase/decrease costs? My thought would be to change the roof pitch? I also don’t really care to have the big front porch.

• The current plan has a vaulted ceiling in the living/kitchen. I’m not against a vaulted ceiling but it’s not a necessity. If I lower the roof pitch this would probably affect the vaulted ceiling, right? Would it be possible to just have higher ceilings in there?

• The initial plan we started with had a huge back porch but we had to switch that & do the small outdoor walkway/wrap around porch because of the lot length. How much more expensive would it be to extend the house 3-4 feet and just add an exterior door to the porch? I would be swapping out the two sliders for windows. Should I just estimate the cost as the additional sq ft x cost/sq ft?

• Any other thoughts on ways to save money? Or where I should splurge? I feel like I have a good idea but just want to make sure I didn’t miss anything.

I know that I can (and will) ask my builder these things but I wanted other peoples opinions before I decide on what exactly I want to do.

Comments (39)