SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laurie_park80

Bathroom Remodel: Need design help to fill "empty space"

Laurie
last year

Doing bathroom remodel soon. Removing large jetted tub (over 30 years old) and replacing it with a large walk-in shower (approx. 60" x 48") with a new lineal/ transom window on far wall at top of shower. Will also be removing the window to left of tub shown in photo and replacing with drywall and demolishing entire tiled "platform" to the left of tub (circled in photo). Contractor says I need to add something to that "empty space" (approx. 3.5 ft.) or it will look strange. This is the view that you have when you walk into the bathroom. Rest of bathroom fixtures (vanity, toilet) will stay in their current location. Toilet is in separate adjacent room. Contractor suggesting a makeup vanity (I rarely wear makeup, but if I do, I wouldn't sit down to apply it) or open shelving where I can "store towels and display items in cute baskets," but I am not keen on that idea either

. I don't like open shelving because items collect dust and I don't want to have to buy baskets and other decor just to fill the empty space. I also don't need more storage space since the bathroom will have two linen closets when the renovation is finished. I'm thinking of a large plant / small tree, but contractor thinks that's not enough. Your thoughts? Also, what else can go in that space?

Comments (10)