SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
feinmaster

Sunrise Window Replacement Frame and Sash Reinforcement

feinmaster
last year

Hi all,

I was hoping to get other expert opinion on the topic of sash and frame reinforcement on the Sunrise brand of windows. First off, thanks to experts and experienced homeowners for providing such excellent information on this site while making this big financial and impactful decision.

I have had several contractors out to give quotes and at this point I have the most confidence in a contractor who is quoting Sunrise. Reason for my confidence in him surrounds his approach to proper installation, long track record and knowledge of window construction. So far, his advice aligns well with what I have studied from the experts on this site. I am stuck on one hangup however and this surrounds sash and frame reinforcement with fiberglass (FiberCore). The project involves replacing with a mix of single hung, fixed picture window, and casements. I believe that the product he is recommending is the standard Sunrise window (NOT Essentials) with upgrades (foam filled frame insulation, Solar Clean, Ultra 12 U plus S2100A glass package). The largest single hung window is 30"X72", largest casement is 30"X60", and largest fixed window is 30"X60". 3 openings will have casement/fixed/casement and 5 openings will have a pair of single hungs. Given the scope of the project, I think he is trying to provide good value and does NOT think we need frame/sash reinforcement where we live (central NC, no risk of hurricanes, mild winters, also single hungs are tighter etc). From what I have read here, reinforcement may be particularly important with large windows in the Sunrise brand. Any opinions on this, particularly in regards to size of window? Has Sunrise done anything to improve this problem in their windows without reinforcement?

If this matters at all, we plan to live in this house for at least 10 more years but don't see this as our "forever home."

Thanks so much.

Comments (3)