SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Smuggling suggestions - loveseat

mtnrdredux_gw
last year
last modified: last year

One of my kids will be in NYC this summer for an internship. The place they are renting is furnished and they do not allow you to bring your own "large" furniture. There is no sofa.

I see a ton of really cheap sofas/loveseats on FBM that would be perfect but we could not smuggle them in. Plus some risk of bedbugs.

Does anyone know of a loveseat that comes in parts? And does not say LOVESEAT on the side? Ideas? (other than doorman bribery). Pref under 300

PS Do not reply with "they don't need a sofa." Of course they don't.

Comments (68)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

Too funny, Pal. Brilliant idea using a ski bag! I think the issue is that, while theoretically you need only two long rails, I don't see futon frames where the seating/bed part is not preassembled.

DH always says you can get away with almost anything if you act like you belong there and are above suspicion.

• nekotish
    last year

Why not just a couple of occasional chairs? I think it's important to teach our kids that they are not above the rules whatever the rules may be.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked nekotish
  • Related Discussions

Sectional or sofa/loveseat combo?

Q

Comments (10)
    Your home is amazing. Those windows alone ... We have a sofa and two chairs in our living room and a sectional with an ottoman in the tv room. The sectional is large and we can all fit comfortably (with the ottoman). The sofa can fit two (it is a big sofa but doesn't have an ottoman). Have you ever sat on a loveseat without arms? We used to have one and we found it so uncomfortable. You couldn't lounge - always had to sit upright. I love the look of the sofa and loveseat you've chosen, but you say you want comfy and they just don't look comfy to me. Have you tried Lee Ind. for sectionals? They make clean lined mid sized. If you see one you like but it doesn't look like it comes as a sectional, check with a dealer. We found that they could be customized to pretty much what ever we wanted.
    ...See More

Sofa & Loveseat Suggestions? Less than 10k

Q

Comments (3)
    You didn't say if you wanted stationary or motion in a sofa and loveseat. Stationary will generally out last motion upholstery by a number of years, for a many of structural reasons. There are three basic types of leather, and I provided some links below from this site and "The Spruce" that provides a easy to understand basics. Most major upholstery manufacturers offer leather. Also 3 types of construction to look for is: Solid hardwood frames that are double-dowel and glued, screws preferable over staples, tempered metal springs either 8-way tied coils or sinuous 8 gauge thick wire. Stay away from plywood frames(engineered or not). Seat cushions that are all foam, no polyester fiber wrapping. Should be 1.8 to 2.0 psf High Resilient or Ultracell foam: firm core with softer foam toppers provide the best support and comfort. Here are some manufactures that still build Solid hardwood frames: Huntington House, McKinley Leather, LeatherCraft, Hancock & Moore and of course us. https://www.thespruce.com/common-types-of-leather-1391198 https://www.houzz.com/magazine/sofa-secrets-a-guide-to-leather-upholstery-stsetivw-vs~79219692
    ...See More

Manual Reclining loveseat

Q

Comments (2)
    Nobody has a reclining loveseat?
    ...See More

Looking for Loveseat

Q

Comments (3)
    I have a matching Flexsteel large sofa and loveseat (style: digby) that I have had for years. They still look and feel like the day we received it. It is very firm and comfortable. It is not a recliner.
    ...See More
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

Nekotish,

They are not allowed those either, and they are not as useful, and would probably cost more.

We all break rules from time to time. I consider myself very lucky my kids have not broken the ones we care about most. I don't see anything wrong with teaching them to use common sense about rules.

From experience with HS and college dorms, I know why this rule exists. First, they don't want kids to just leave stuff behind that they have to dispose of, at a cost (we don't do that). Second, they don't want one kid taking up more space than another with their furnishings (not apropos as she is in a single). Lastly. they don't want items that increase fire or infestation hazards or could block egress (none of that applies here either).

• palimpsest
    last year

First, they don't want kids to just leave stuff behind that they have to dispose of,

Well, there's this. Not saying you would do this at all, but this is commonplace in my neighborhood and most of this is allied health students, medical students or residents, who can afford or whose parents can afford to buy them new furniture for the 1, 2 years or 4 years they will be living in the apartment and then they think they might be doing someone a favor by leaving behind a decent free sofa, but putting it on the sidewalk.

But what usually happens is it gets rained on, or a homeless person steals a cushion or two, and then no one wants it. Or maybe someone decides to take it and carries it a little way and abandons it. And then sometimes someone lights it on fire.

This is not the same sofa, it's two different ones on the same block. The blue one already got wet so no one would take it, and of course the burnt one is burnt.

• SEA SEA
    last year

A large cushioned comfy chair and a half?

I have one in my living room. Smaller than a loveseat, bigger than a comfy chair. Company calls it the Mr & Mrs Sea Sea chair as we both sit in it at the same time and let company figure out who sits where on the couch. Your dd needs to have a something to sit on and preferrably something for company too on those occassions.

When my youngest moved out of her grad school housing a month or so ago, she basically listed everything on FMP for free and she had none left to move except for her odds and ends that she was going to be taking with her anyways -- so there's that when moving day arrives.

• lucillle
    last year

Bribe the doorman. Get him in a conversation, let him help pick out, then promise upon her departure when the internship is complete his family can have it if he would like.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

a cushioned comfy chair and a half?

not smuggle-able

Pal, yes, dorms often have a lot of stuff to get rid of when students leave. My one DD loved to dumpster dive at her BS because the international students had "the best stuff" and could not take it on a flight.

Where my DS goes to school there is an end-of-year couch-bonfire tradition (off campus). He is Mr. Safety and thinks it is appalling but it's a popular event.

• suero
    last year

There's always Ikea. You can get a loveseat small enough to smuggle, but you do have to assemble it yourself.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked suero
  • Olychick
    last year

Waddon 56'' Papasan Velvet Folding Dorm Lounge Sofa

See More by Latitude Run®

Rated 4 out of 5 stars.

4.034 Reviews$316.99$339.997% Off

Comes in beige

I would think the cushion comes off and the frame folds up; could look like a laundry clothes hanger or similar for smuggling.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Olychick
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

Oly that one is cute! $145 on overstock!

And yes, of course its a clothes rack

Suero,

Ikea sofas typically have one large piece that is almost the size of a twin bed, whether you assemble or not

• orchidrain
    last year

Mtn...we just put one of these together for my SIL yesterday. Ibiza from W---fa. Came in a good size box, but I don't remember any identifying pics or writing on it. I believe it was like 5 pieces and we finished assembly within 1/2 hour.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked orchidrain
  • orchidrain
    last year

Yep, and it seems pretty sturdy for the price. It looks cute in his office.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

This place is not that far from my office. I might go for reconnaissance to see how move in works ...

• amykath
    last year

Mtn. be careful of those sofas you just posted from Wayfair. I had to buy a sofa that looked identical to stage and former home. It looked great, but I could not even bear to sit on it as it was beyond uncomfortable.

I think you could confince them that she has a really bad back or something and that you need to bring it a bed that works for her needs. Then just bring in whatever. If it comes down to it, bring in a bed and make it the cutest sofa/loveseat ever! You can easily sneak in items that would work for a bed. You could use crates, two pieces of wood. Lots of pillows. I might not even use the arms unless I wanted to lay my head down. I think you could make it work! I know it likely not your style at all, but you can decorate it so that maybe it is?

Or this one looks like you could really break it down and add some lovely throw pillows and a blaket. It could be changed to look many different ways. It is hard to find anything that can be broken down.

https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/corrigan-studio-71-wide-adjustable-arms-tufted-back-convertible-faux-leather-twin-size-sofa-w009209705.html?piid=1985894112

mtnrdredux_gw thanked amykath
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

AKT, that one is great too! thank you. I now have a selection of option to present to her highness.

AKT - Good news - the shipping carton dimensions are 14 H X 36 W X 43 D. We can smuggle that I think.

I wonder why it is 71" long but says it is only ok for someone 5'6" (66") to sleep on?

• nekotish
    last year

I didn't mean to sound preachy about following the rules, but we've always told our kids to "turn it around." In other words, if it was your place and you had rules for whatever reason, would you want someone who bent the rules? Sometimes there is no rhyme or reason for the rules and common sense doesn't always come into place. I just think that if you sign a lease or sign up for something, then rules are rules.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked nekotish
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

That's totally OK, Nekotish, no need to explain yourself!

My view is that rules are written for simplicity and to apply to the greatest number of people (including types who would leave things on the sidewalk as Pal shows), and sometimes they don't make sense or are unnecessary.

I think that is kind of what your "turn it around" logic helps with. Would I mind if someone moved in by themselves, with the item described, and then took it with them? Not at all -- why would I? I would find it far more important that the kid I am renting to will pay rent on time, not throw up all over lobby, and not blast music.

• amykath
    last year

Mtn, I guess they figure the taller person can hang their legs off of the end! haha

• nekotish
    last year

My post also comes from a time of being "landlords." When my husband bought his first house, to afford it, he lived in the basement while renovating it into a suite and rented out the top floor. When we decided to move in together, the suite was done and he and I lived on the top floor and rented the suite. I'm going off topic here so I will start a new thread about renting out part of your home. It certainly was a mortgage helper, but oh my...

• mtnrdredux_gw thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks, carol, all good options! Love the teal one. And I have a Macys credit i need to use, too

• dedtired
    last year

Maybe a memory foam sofa that comes all flattened with the air sucked out so it couldnt possibly be a piece of furniture. Comes in a big box that you could wrap in birthday paper with a big bow.

This is as close as I could come.Opoiar Futon Sofa Bed Convertible Memory Foam Couch Bed, Modern Sleeper Sofa with Adjustable Armrests&Backrests, Futon Sets for Compact Living Spaces Offices Apartments Dorm Bonus Room,Grey https://a.co/d/j84mfqB

mtnrdredux_gw thanked dedtired
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

Another excellent choice. And I think seat comes in two separate pieces so it will not be suspiciously large. YAY

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year

Did you watch the video in ded's link yet? Box might be bigger than you imagine...

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

yes, and one of the reviews has a photo of the box.

• Olychick
    last year

Mtn, have you always worn glasses and a moustache? I hardly recognized you, but maybe I just never noticed?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

I'm practicing disguises in anticipation of criminal activity.

• dedtired
    last year

Take the memory foam sofa out of the box and carry it in in separate parts. come on folks, think outside of the box.

i can really entertain myself.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked dedtired
  • Olychick
    last year

Take the doorman a Vente latte and then wait about 45-60 min for him to have to use the facilities, then sneak it in.

• localeater
    last year

You know, if you change the ”m” in smuggling, to an ”n”, this thread becomes completely different and potentially R-rated.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

Yes, i wondered how many people might have read it that way!

• salonva
    last year

I am only reading the thread now, but I did see it last night and thought it was a typo. Then I thought it was very unusual that no one would point it out and have it corrected, so it intrigued me and got me reading here today.

I'm just along for the ride and look forward to seeing more suggestions. That original one suggested from Wayfair would make a lot of sense in a basement rec room. ( but we already have our extra furniture down there so need) for someone who could use it.

• maire_cate
    last year

Carol - thanks for giving me an option that I hadn't considered. Now that we have 4 grand daughters we're trying to think of ways to add additional sleeping at our other place and everyone has a different opinion. Two of the upstairs bedrooms are huge and at the moment each has a queen bed and inside the closet we store an extra twin mattress set that comes out depending on which and how many grandkids show up. I would prefer buying a daybed bed with pop-up trundle because of it's multi-functions - sitting, lounging, one twin, 2 twins, one pushed together king. Other option we're considering is adding bunk beds once all of the grands are out of cribs. Those bedrooms could easily accommodate 2 sets of bunks in addition to the queen bed.

The adjustable floor/sofa from Macy's is an item I didn't even know existed. My kids would have loved something like that when they were in dorms. Macy's even had an adjustable sleeper lounge.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked maire_cate
  • ginatay124
    last year

What about two IKEA Poang chairs? Lightweight, comfortable, easy to move around.

• maire_cate
    last year

Now that I looked at FBMP for the first time (thanks to Mtn's other thread) I found something you could probably just carry in without subterfuge - for only $15 in Philly - a folding futon. Yet another item I did not know existed - looks like a padded massage table.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked maire_cate
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

Marie,

LOL it sure does look like a massage table (which might be more of a transgression than a sofa!). Adding that to my list of submissions.

Gina,

Chairs still need to be smuggled, 2 cost more than my budget, and are not as flexible as the items im considering. But thx!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    last year

I've seen those moon pod things in the mall but never tried one...

• ginatay124
    last year

Mtn - FWIW the IKEA Poang chairs are packaged small enough to be portable. Back in the day, DH and I carried two of them on a train from one Eastern European country where we were renewing our visas back to our “home” country and lived with them the next five years. . . Photo and package dimensions below:

• jakabedy
    last year

mtnrdredux_gw thanked jakabedy
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

Hi Gina, yes, I know. They will be easier to smuggle but still require smuggling. Also, the room already has a desk chair and two "dining" chairs, so I am thinking more of a loveseat or better yet something someone can sleep on in a pinch (not me). And for under $300 --- in fact some options are under $200!

Your chair odyssey sounds interesting! Do tell.

P.S. I am seeing conflicting info between the guidebook and the online virtual tour about single rooms. One source indicates that singles will be furnished the same as doubles (maybe a good thing for our purposes); the online tour shows the deluxe single room furnished for one. It's hard to say since these are not actually dorms, they are privately owned (and I think this one was a hotel before) but they serve the student population only.

We are heading out on vacation in a few days but will do a tour when I get back.

• salonva
    last year

I'll just second how comfortable the Poang chairs are. DH is the one who has tried it on multiple visits to Ikea and is astounded each time at how comfy it is. ( and he is 6'2 and 250 lbs).

We still haven't bought one yet but they are amazing.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked salonva
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

No to two chairs, period.

I also have to admit ... I have always hated the look of Poang, and their ubiquitousness. YMMV!

• eld6161
    last year

Mtn. That Poang chair is amazingly comfortable. Have you sat in it? Both my DD and niece have had them. Especially with the matching ottoman.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked eld6161
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

Sorry, no to two chairs for the reasons cited above. 🙂

Yes, who alive has not sat in a Poang, LOL? Just hate them beyond all reason. Sorry!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    last year

How big are their windows? Visions of pianos being hoisted up into apartments. ;-)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

Lol, the windows are nice and big. But it's a high rise, so. It's all really nice and new and bright white and modern, "wood" floors, etc. We will try to tour it when I get back from my trip.

• User
    last year

I like DLM2000-GW made regarding the Nugget. It's essentially a bunch of cushions, so nobody would have to know what you're sneaking in. (you can even order more triangle cushions to make a full back on it-- but apparently those are only available until March 1.)

Or there are lots of similar styles like this. One downside, this one is all one piece that folds.

this one comes in separate pieces like the nugget:

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm