SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beth_thomas35

Ideas for this large gravel hill area, and/or where to place a hot tub

Beth Thomas
last year

I've recently moved into a new home with an odd backyard problem. There is a hill of gravel/dirt that takes up half the back yard, held in place by an approx 3' tall gray concrete block retaining wall. The gravel section of the yard measures about 28' x 90ish? Not sure how wide our property is. We're on a slope, so the front edge at the retaining wall is about 3' and the back edge at the property line is maybe 10' or 12'.

Things we want to do:

- We have purchased a hot tub that is 7'x7' and need somewhere for it to go where it won't be an eyesore. This is phase 1, since we already bought it. Possibly in an L-shaped addition to the current patio where the grills are? We would pour a concrete pad and add a white pergola over the hot tub to allow for privacy screens as there are neighbors on all sides. Would have to lose some grass to do this.

- I want one of those patio areas that looks put-together and purposeful. Couches, rugs, cafe lights, grills off to a side, maybe someday a little pizza oven. I am hopeful that the backyard and patio area can be used for lounging and hanging out most of the year.

- I hate, hate, hate the gray gravel and want as much as possible gone. I'm having a hard time envisioning a nice-looking facelift back here. Pay to have the short wall taken out and all gravel removed ($10K maybe? more?)... but then what? Remove only gravel and do some terraced gardens?

- Trees, shrubs, flowers, vegetable garden, planting beds, etc. Right now looking out of the house windows toward the east, you just see gray wall, gray gravel, and more gray walls.

- We can do some work ourselves, but not masonry. Whatever we do will look rather homemade. Also I just had ACL surgery so it will be a while before I can do anything at all.

There's a swath of grass that I do like and want to keep as much as possible.

We're in Zone 7b, Albuquerque, NM.

Thanks for any ideas!

Comments (12)