SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dlang5365

Rats living under my deck & hot tub

dlang5365
12 years ago

Hello,

I'm at a loss with what to do with rats that have taken up under my deck and within the housing of my hot tub. When we first bought this house--the people before us left the yard messy (dog poop) and we soon found out the garage was rat infested. We took care of that problem (cleaned the yard, cleaned out the nesting in the garage and poured concrete to cover the wooden beams they chewed out to get into the garage. We lived for several years without a rat infestation--but just this fall started noticing rat droppings in the garage again and recognized that the wooden door and threshold to the garage were rotted out and left a space for critters to get in. We emptied the entire garage, found it nesting in building materials we stored in the garage--we cleaned out the garage (again) and repaired the door...but, now we see that they have taken refuge under our deck and in our hot tub.

It's frustrating because we managed to get rid of them for several years and now are struggling with them again. We do everything else right--e.g., pick up dog poop right away, keep wood piles elevated with no "hiding places," rake the leaves, dump out standing water, covered garbage pails with no holes in them. We are completely at a loss at this point what to do. We've already disturbed their "home" under the hot tub--cleaned it, shop vac'ed the poop, etc. We've done snap traps and found that they eat the food right out of it and escape.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE--if you have any other suggestions, please let us know!

(On a side note--I've seen them and they are *enormous*--the side of a small adult cat!)

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH