SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jrb451

Prescription Drug Costs

jrb451
last year

Each month I receive a Monthly Prescription Drug Summary from my RX insurance provider. Fortunately, I only have two maintenance medications that I have to take, a statin and an eye drop, so my monthly costs are low. Every summary includes a “Plan Paid” and “You Paid” column. The “You Paid” column amount is always more than what the plan pays. When I add in my monthly premium I end up way behind what the plan pays for me. So, I’m helping subsidize those plans where the company pays out more than it takes in. I understand that’s how insurance works.

In my latest summary, the Plan paid $13.20 and I paid $18.00 for a 90-day supply of my statin, $31.20 total drug costs. However, on the pharmacy receipt for this prescription, the printout showed a retail price of $371.29 and noted that my insurance saved me $353.29.

So, if I was without insurance, my statin would have cost me $371.29, correct? Just trying to figure out the $353.29 savings; was it negotiated away when the insurance company was creating its formulary list?

TIA

Comments (5)