SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dottie_vitrano

new home, poor tile job, redoing

Almost home
last year

We have porcelain rectangular tile in our owners bathroom. After we settled we noticed there was a lot of Lippage, you could see the side of the tile and it was just a poor job.

After nearly 2 years the tile company agreed that it was a poor job and they’re going to replace the floor tile. Initially they were going to just pop the tiles that had a lippage, but they couldn’t get the correct dye lot. My question is….I’m ready for a very big, loud messy job, but the big concern is that they do the proper prep work so this tile will lay flat and there will be no grout cracking down the road. It was laid on the subfloor and I’m not sure if that Schlueter board was used, I know it was used in our owners shower wall and floor.

I will find out when they start ripping up the tile, but if it’s not there should I request that they use that or is that not necessary? If the porcelain tile comes up easily, can they simply lay it on the subfloor? How likely is it that the subfloor is going to be ripped up and need to be leveled and repaired. I’m asking these questions because this tile company is huge but they have very inadequate workers. I’ve been concerned that the job is going to be a mediocre job at Best but I am very unhappy with the tile job.

I just want to have some background knowledge and know what to expect and what is the process. What is acceptable what is not acceptable when removing the porcelain tile and laying another porcelain tile. The tile they will lay is a 12 x 12.

Thank you for any insight you can share with me. This will be the third attempt at fixing the bathroom. The first two times they arrived with the wrong tile and another time a totally different tile. It has been exhausting.

Here are a free pictures as well as the 12/12 bare tile that will be installed.

Comments (6)