SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mmjohnson586

Help with updating curtains & decor

M J
last year

I’m looking to update my curtains and I’m not sure if I should bring in color or keep them neutral. The living room is open to the dining room, kitchen and entry way. Our space feels sterile and I’m wanting to update. Furniture is staying but open to updating decor, pillows and rug. I don’t know my design style, even after looking at different ideas!

What colors/ pattern should I look for in choosing my curtains? Any other suggestions to update this space?

Thanks!

Comments (55)

• cubby14
    last year
    last modified: last year

MJ art is so subjective and it is hard to know what you like but here are a few that are interesting to me. All different. They bring some color and interest to the space.

Luxury Oversized Wall Art | Perigold · More Info

• jackowskib
    last year

@cubby14 may I ask the site you used to choose the art? I’m looking for those same colors and these are lovely.

• Related Discussions

dining room updating/decorating help needed!

Q

Comments (22)
    I love your dining room and your dining room set! I like having a place for the family to have a quiet dinner. I share your fondness for the blue and white look. I think with the soft blue above and the white below, you could go with a chair fabric in a navy range, maybe in a lattice. This is a fabric I chose recently, but our dining room is part of the kitchen and that door opens to the garage. The general colors are similar though: Think how different it would be if you choose a lattice pattern or a stripe than if you went with a floral/botanical in essentially the same color range. I hadn't intended that entry mat to be part of the color scheme in the photo, but now that I look at it, a dark rug under your table is a possibility. Not black, but dark, and probably not a solid - it would show every speck. I'm not getting how the drapes fit into the room. The green stripe just seems not to go at all, but it must (even if not perfect) or you wouldn't have gotten as far as trying it out. Could you post a picture that shows how the drape wall fits into the rest of the room?
    ...See More

Updated: "Help me decorate my living room - Desperate help needed!"

Q

Comments (1)
    I see a few things that aren’t horrible, by any means, but could be changed. Mirror and sideboard, for instance, as mirror is too large for the sideboard and it overwhelms the room, reflecting the t v. Try the art over the sideboard and add a floor lamp where the plant is, as it will do double duty for the sofa and the art. Have you ever thought about adding a floor to ceiling strip of trim to separate the dining area from the living area and painting that wall a color? Something like this with a couple of white shelves on that wall?
    ...See More

Help with small dining room decor/picture updates

Q

Comments (13)
    @Olychick Thank you for the great advice, neutral is what I’m going for but but a few pops of colour here and there. I agree that I should do artwork instead of another mirror. In fact, I‘ve been thinking of replacing the current mirror for a solid one, you know, something less chaotic. I’ll be sure to hang it lower. We’ll see if I can find something as large. I’m actually open to changing/adding anything except the dining set and rug. The things I know I will be changing/adding for sure are as follow: - The curtain. I really don’t like the brown curtain. I initially put it up just to add some privacy in the dining room in the evening, until I find something more suitable. - Tray. I would like a nice silver tray to set on the buffet. - Artwork. I’d like to add some artwork above the buffet. - Bar cart. I’d like a small bar cart on the left corner of the dining room. something I can keep fresh cut flowers and cocktail glasses on. - Chairs/Bench. For this one. I have two ideas. Either keeping the current 4 chairs and add a cream coloured leather bench. Or replacing all the chairs for 6 fabric upholstered/tufted cream dining chairs. I open to other suggestions.
    ...See More

Please help with living room decor! Wall art, pillows, and curtains

Q

Comments (6)
    Balance: I’d skip drapes as a rod a few extra inches above windows won’t affect the ceiling/window effect. The tv is really high for viewing and I’d be bringing it to eye level. If interested and if room allows, can you turn sectional/console so they are facing windows and place tv there and art above fireplace. If keeping as is, add a huge piece of art between windows again to draw the eyes down into room. . Decor: suggest light textured blinds, a floor lamp and side table in corner with new chair to fill that space nicely and as a nod towards coastal, cushions, lamps and art will do the trick.
    ...See More
  • cubby14
    last year

@jackowskib I used Perigold. I have several nice large art pieces from there and they are great quality.

• deegw
    last year

I'd pick a rug and build from there. A rug change will make the biggest impact on the room.

• jackowskib
    last year

@cubby14, Lord have mercy that Perigold site. Thanks for sharing!

• M J
    Original Author
    last year

All of your ideas are so helpful. Thank you! How do I make sure the rug and wall decor works with the entry since they are so close and open? Similar colors? I don’t want it to be too matchy matchy but don’t know how to make it work :)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

For some reason, the walls and ceiling have a blue/green cast to them. Is that the paint of the glass from your windows?

Taupe and Aqua can be a successful color combination. Here are a few rugs to illustrate some options.

• M J
    Original Author
    last year

The ceiling paint is white and wall color is a white/ grey. But I love those ideas of bringing in those colors, especially the warmer tones! Does that work with my entry?

• kl23
    last year

I agree with Beverly's arrangement, especially getting the TV off the fireplace wall. I'd like to see it grounded and surrounded with a console table minimum and possibly a pair of etageres. You can try using the console near your kitchen temporarily to see how it works for you, the decide whether you want to replace what is near the kitchen with something else or buy another console and place it under the TV or near the kitchen. I love the clean lines and satin finish in your console, end tables, kitchen stools, and dining-room furniture. It looks delightfully touchable and would be fun to dust. I love the stain color too, and the black (?) legs on the stools for contrast. You pick up black again with the TV.

Using a rug as a jumping off point for a new color scheme is a great idea, but I think it would be helpful to know what colors you really love, and what the undertones are in your seating, stone, and wood flooring. You chose a perfect day to photograph your room and gave us great views. Snow is magic that way. In spite of that, I am getting different colors in your seating. Can you help me out please and let me know if the sofa is the same color as the loveseat and chair? In most pictures they look the same, but in one picture, the sofa looks like it is a rusty color and the other two a grey brown like a light chocolate… Or is it just grey? 

Since most pictures make the three pieces look like a light chocolate, and Beverly is seeing taupe, I'll go with that for now. I love chocolate in decorating! It pairs so well with several of my favorite bold colors. But what are your favorite colors? Red, green, blue?

You said your room feels sterile. Hey, at least it's not cluttered! I'm impressed! The reason it feels sterile is a lack of contrast. Everything is a mid-tone neutral. The very dominant seating and area rug are soft and stuffed and rounded. In choosing everything from this point forward, seek contrast in texture, reflection, weightiness and color. Your seating is fabric, so choose glossy items like glass, mirrors, polished stone, glossy pottery or lamp bases. Your seating is stuffed, so choose items with clean crisp lines like your wood furniture I love so much. Your seating is heavy, so choose items that are light, like a thinner area rug, crisp satin draperies instead of velvet, light sheers, and glass tables and etageres. 

Your seating is neutral and mid-tone, so choose bright items in both light and dark. You have some black with the stools and tv. White sheers are an obvious choice. White lampshades vs beige. Your lamp bases are dull wood. Replacing them with something with a glossy base would help. One more small touch of black and white would tie it all together. Then let's stop with the neutrals and bring in color. 

You said something about wanting warmer colors. There's nothing warmer than red. With chocolate, Coca Cola red is awesome! A little dab 'l do ya. And it's hard to match reds but the good news is you get an even better effect if you don't try... just get them all in the ballpark. Get a touch of red in the carpet, a couple of red glass apples, a red bowl, cardinals, a picture of someone in a red sweater... just find all the red things in the house and bring them in the room to see what you want to keep. 

Let's say that whole idea is too shocking and you realize you don't want things THAT warm. Please don't get more yellow and golden. Your fireplace stone and your wood floors are enough. If you add more, you create a war that will make your seating look awful. Proportion is everything. That's why you also limit the black and white.

OK, a little less warm but still awesome with light chocolate is evergreen and plum. Bring all the evergreen and plum items you have into the room and see how it feels. You could bring in one or the other, as well, but don't be afraid to try both together. And they don't have to be 50-50. Most people are afraid of purple so you might want less of that and more evergreen. 

And finally, if you think we'll maybe you don't want warmth after all, deep dark cobalt blue is awesome with chocolate. Swoon..... And it makes white so much more exciting. It will complement your woods and fireplace too. Once again, bring in your deep dark blue items, even if it's just your clothes. See how you like it. You can have a few denims if you like but focus on bright dark cobalt like in delftware and ink.

Take pictures to show us. Tell us what color(s) you like and the pros can help you get 'er done tastefully. You may be thinking these bold colors will be garish and tasteless, so that's why you add just small touches. 

Notice I didn't say to add colorful throw pillows? That's because your seating is already of the throw pillows variety and pillows would go in the opposite direction of where you should be going for contrast and de-sterilization.

• kl23
    last year

Also, your art is hung too high. Let us know if you need a guide. Beverly has lots of those sorts of things handy. She's a real font of knowledge. 

And I might add that you can combine blue and green or blue and red or red and green at different times of year to get different effects.

• M J
    Original Author
    last year

KL, thank you!! You’ve got me really thinking now. I am learning so much from your post. All three pieces of furniture are the same light brown color.

Blues and greens are my favorite. I tend to stick to those colors. Red might be too bold for me :)

Great point on finding lighter items in the rug and drapes!

Thank you so so much!

• Maureen
    last year

I actually like your drapes, as I prefer a neutral, non patterned style, so as not to break up a room visually (especially with them butting up to the stone on fireplace). Let a new rug, cushions and wall decor (including dining room with better proportions) create the interest. Your art is neutral and would work with a range of colors, so decide on what color scheme you prefer. Let the rug be your jumping off point (I could see blue, so used in examples). Rugs USA allows you to test rugs visually in your room.

Other ideas: if not moving tv, try exchanging chair and love seat, a coffee table would be a nice addition and suggest creating more balance/interest on console (lots of on line help available). Good luck and take your time choosing the right pieces.

• kl23
    last year

MJ, I'm so glad you found my thoughts helpful. I enjoyed taking a deep dive into your room this morning. I love decorating with chocolate. :-)  I hope you bring some evergreen and navy items into the room and take more pictures. Oh, but first try rearranging the furniture the way Beverly suggested and show pictures of that and tell us what you think about the arrangement and why.

• lawsonch19
    last year

I really like your space, even the curtains. Just add some colorful art!

• M J
    Original Author
    last year

My hubby isn’t in favor (yet) of moving the TV and adding a console under. So we’ll need to leave for now. We put the coffee table away as we have little ones but I might bring it back. Great reminder :)

I appreciate all of your help! Looking at rugs, art and curtains now!

• M J
    Original Author
    last year

One more question! Knowing the tv needs to stay over the fireplace for now, what type of art should I put over the love seat? I don’t know what to look for that ties in to the other things I have already? I’m looking at adding a brown and navy rug to the living room.

• M J
    Original Author
    last year

Would it be one large piece of art or a couple different things? It’s a tall wall so I’m not sure how big to go!

• Maureen
    last year

It’s important to imagine how you want room to feel (look at inspiration rooms for help), as the whole is made up of well thought out, coordinated items.

First purchase your rug, as it will have a major influence in art and accessory choices, both color and style wise. Highly suggest not going too dark. Don’t know your style, but suggest a blue/brown/cream color combo, which would also work well with your art over the console. If you have dark shades in mind, add with cushions.

Before you decide on art and especially size/placement, try this seating arrangement. You’ll have a more balanced room and it will also be more conducive. Try exchanging love seat with couch, if needed for traffic flow.

Your love seat overwhelms the wall and fireplace. See below for a better balanced wall with your chair (add table/lamp) and select art that grounds, vs being busy.

I think a set of four fairly large prints would work well volume wise, as size (and frames) have a big influence. Look to ground and connect the wall/fireplace.

If interested, article below will help when hanging.

https://www.lovelyluckylife.com/how-to-hang-multiple-pictures-evenly/

• kl23
    last year

MJ, have you got any art? Wait, what's that over the console and by the dining room? Could it be? Art? Or close enough?

• M J
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks for all of the recommendations. We found a rug we really love! I also updated the items on the console and got rid of a couple pillows… better? Our space isn’t big enough to put the chair anywhere else…

I included pics of the things we have on our walls. Thoughts??

• M J
    Original Author
    last year

The more I look at the console, it’s still not right! Too blah?

• Sofia
    last year

@Maureen I’d love to know the source for the three pillows im your post. The middle one would be fab for our window seat. Thanks!

• Paul F.
    last year

TV needs to MOVE. Doesn't your neck get achy looking up? Tell your husband he can get a huge TV from costco that looks like a painting when the TV is not being watched. Samsung frame TV is amazing. They should pay me I love that TV so much.

https://www.costco.com/samsung-65%22-class---the-frame-series---4k-uhd-qled-lcd-tv---allstate-3-year-protection-plan-bundle-included-for-5-years-of-total-coverage*.product.100973439.html

• Kelly Jones
    last year

Great choice on the rug!! It brings in some color and enhances your furniture very well!

A low rectangular/oblong tray or piece of pottery would look nice under your beautiful picture.

The drapes are not working the best when they are open in that IMO they seem to crowd and take away from your fireplace... also the loveseat is squished up against it on the other side. Is it possible to scootch the loveseat over at least some and turn that endtable so the drawer is facing out and can be better utilized with the sofas? Fabric vertical blinds with or without texture matched to wall color will be almost invisible when fully opened.

For the curtains, have you thought about fabric vertical blinds with an upgraded wood/wood like valance (or make or have one made)? They could be 1-way draw with the stack on the right side, which would be small compared to the curtains.

Another option is vertical sheers (sheer enchantments was one brand's name for them) around the verticals. What is the length of that wall? Fireplace to window molding? Outside left window molding to outside right window molding? Window molding to door? Inside measurement of each window width & height? I ask because some options aren't always available if too wide & it would help me tell how big the stack would be whether center or 1-way draw.

Another option may be roman blinds hung near or at ceiling. They take up more room when all the way up & they would probably cover more of the windows than you'd like if they were inside mounts. They also often don't look the best from outside when they are mounted inside the window frames.

I suggest if you're planning to replace the curtains to first look into alternatives with a window treatment company or a very knowledgable person at the big box stores. If you decide to go there, I'd suggest to call the front desk ahead of time, ask who the most knowledgable person is and ask to make an appointment when he/she is scheduled to work.

Lastly, if you decide that you don't want to change the window treatments, is it possible to draw them all the way to the right &/or putting something tall (plant?) on the left side of FP to balance it out more?

• kl23
    last year

Bless your heart, MJ. I can see this is going to be hard for you. I'm so glad you got a tiny smidge of color in your rug. Can you add more blue? If you have to have pillows can they be dark blue and have some shininess too them?

• kl23
    last year

Your pottery pieces would look better grouped together against a contrasting background or with some bright flowers in them. Right now they are just adding to the sea of neutral.

• kl23
    last year

Alternatively, if it's too hard to choose colored objects and you already have a lifetime of objects collected in neutrals, what do you think of painting this space in blue? It's all so connected that I think it would have to be just one blue, a lighter shade of the one in your new rug.

• kl23
    last year

Can you hang your curtains higher so they aren't breaking on the floor?

• Maureen
    last year

They are pillow covers but site only references the solid navy. Found on Pinterest and if you like velvet, search velvet (or not) blue and brown pillows. If you want stripes or lumbar, add in search.

https://www.etsy.com/ThePillowSpot/listing/843638518/quilted-blue-velvet-throw-pillow-cover?utm_campaign=Share&utm_medium=social_organic&utm_source=DSMT2&utm_term=so.smt&share_time=1597882164000

I like HomeSense/Marshals for pillows, as prices and styles are great. Bring home a few to test, as it’s really the best way to compare/narrow down.

Regarding the console table, the art’s vertical shape is harder to balance, its height doesn’t allow for anything towards the middle, and both ends are duplicated shape/size wise so not as flattering. Try replacing the candle with the vase (near lamp) and spread out the 3 a bit. Suggest a new lamp (on its own) with more height and volume. Look for accessorizing hints on Pinterest; I found this example to give you a sense of proportions/grouping and if needed, raise art a few inches.

Like these lamps (if size works) with your art and it’s fine if it overlaps your art a bit.

https://www.lampsplus.com/products/chalane-hammered-antique-bronze-table-lamp-set-of-2__16y75.html?epik=dj0yJnU9STNINms5VDVxa1g3d0ZDY3ZJbVlfRHl3N1JoQmVsNVEmcD0wJm49UVlBR3RVN3FfdVJxVUlvNGJRU1ljQSZ0PUFBQUFBR1BxT2FN

• M J
    Original Author
    last year

We plan on getting new curtains and hanging higher. I love the darker pillows… will look into those!

Would a round mirror look better over console? That wall is vaulted so it feels really tall. I assumed a taller rectangle piece would look right but it just doesn’t.

• Valinta
    last year

I would opt for a different window covering, either Roman shades, which can be made with a variety of fabrics or a top down - bottom up shade, again with a variety of colors and textures. Having that much fabric so close to a fireplace makes me nervous.

• M J
    Original Author
    last year

Maureen, thank you! I didn’t see the pictures you posted right away. I look that look a lot better!!

• M J
    Original Author
    last year

I’m back again! I’ve ordered a few things to try, based on your suggestions (round mirror over console, pillows, curtains). I’m still looking for art over the loveseat.

For the dining room, would something like this look ok? I love these prints but wondering if the proportions would be right? The table is 6’ long and the wall is 13 1/2’ long. How big do I want the decor to be? Recommendations on what would look better?

• M J
    Original Author
    last year

Or if I did two of these prints above the loveseat, what would I do in the dining room?

• M J
    Original Author
    last year

One more question - the ledge that is there is as long as the table but it looks too small on the wall. Thoughts on how to update the ledge?

• Andee
    last year

Remove the ledge. Try putting the architectural piece that is now in the LR over the console (or the round mirror), and put the large art piece, that is now over the console, over the loveseat. The triptych might look good in the dining room, if the measurements are ok.

• M J
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks, Andee. What measurements are okay for the dining wall? I assumed I would do the length of the table but that’s what the ledge is and it looks too small!

• M J
    Original Author
    last year

I hate that you can’t edit your post/ comments! If I made the 3 prints 24x36 each with a couple inches between, would that be correct sizing?

• Andee
    last year

The ledge may be the same length, but it and its contents are not tall enough for that wall. I think the three prints might be. You might have to do some mock ups of the prints on your wall until you get to some pleasing proportions. I suggest doing a bit of internet research on "hanging 3 pictures on one wall", or something like that. Someone here probably has a bit of advice.

• M J
    Original Author
    last year

That makes sense. I’ll mock up the three prints and see if we like that.
    I’m also drawn to the gallery walls. Are these outdated?

• kl23
    last year

I like your idea of gallery walls but I like the pictures to have meaning, not purchased. Purchase frames and matting but make a selection of photos you took of people places or things with meaning to you. Things you want to look at while eating.

• M J
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you, K L! That’s my plan! Fingers crossed it all comes together :)

• kl23
    last year

@MJ I like your space and where you are headed. I look forward to some after pictures. Enjoy!

• M J
    Original Author
    last year

Hi again! I’ve started getting some things in… thoughts? Still waiting on the dining wall but I’ve order large black frames for a gallery wall.

• M J
    Original Author
    last year

Would these pillows look okay? What about updating my end table lamps to something like this? It is 27” tall.

• M J
    Original Author
    last year

Also, it’s not an option yet to move the TV yet so should I leave the mantle bare? If not, what would I add?

• M J
    Original Author
    last year

What about these lamps for the end tables? I’m wondering if the brown lamp base I posted last night would be too dark?

• Kelly Jones
    last year

Your art looks nice!

Would you please move all of your curtains to the right as tight as you can and take a pic?

• PRO
    Indigo and Luxe
    last year

Here's a linen drape that will go with the blue pillows above.

Curtain Panels · More Info

We call this pattern Bronte in Indigo.