SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funkyartoo

Getting Good Flavor when Cooking without Salt

Funkyart
last year

I am preparing a number of items for BIL who had a heart attack and nephew who has stage 5 kidney disease-- both need a low fat/low salt diet (nephew has other restrictions like low phosphorus and low potassium). I know a lot of folks are on low-salt diets for various reasons. but I find low-salt cooking to be so very flat and bland... so I thought I'd tap this great group for guidance, tips and recipes for low-salt cooking that doesn't compromise FLAVOR.

The top request from both families was for salad dressings and marinades. I think I have done a pretty good job there. I make a wide array of interesting vinaigrettes -- and I already had glass bottles (and ordered more). They eat a fair amount of lean grilled meats -- so to start, I prepared a greek vinaigrette marinade for chicken and will be making a roasted garlic herb marinade for beef and pork this afternoon (I think I'll add rosemary too). I have plenty of other options.. garlic balsamic vinegar, citrus/garlic. I am pretty comfortable here but please let me know if you have a favorite.

I madethis marinara saucewith DOP san marzano tomatoes with no salt in the tomatoes and no salt added to the sauce .. but I really found it was really missing something without salt. I added a touch of sugar. I also increased the oregano and added garlic at the end (despite 14 cloves of garlic to flavor the oil!). I think it is pretty good now .. but I was surprised how much I needed to alter a classic recipe just to make up for salt! I have since read that some people will cook the sauce with a carrot. I'll try that next time. Note: i used the sauce to make a baked chicken parmesan and lean meat sauce for whole wheat pasta.

I was tempted to add a parmesan rind to the sauce as "small amounts" of parmesan are ok for each but I was concerned that without control of the amount, it would add too much salt. It would certainly add some richness to the sauce though.

Do you have any other suggestions or recipes to share? TIA!

Comments (44)