SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mark_cavinee70

Rreturn air furance plenum

Mark Cavinee
last year

Good Morning:

We were at a loss why our new furance and central air was not drawing through the registers like it should. Upon further investigation (see pic) we discovered the return air plenum coming directly from the furance to inside a opening in our closet under the stairwell. It was covered up with a piece of plywood and only about a couple inches from completely not allowing any air to draw. Here is what I did. I put a filter and grill on it temporiarily and left that door open and then closed the closet door and I couldn't believe the difference in drawing power now and increased violocity coming from the registers. I was told that this location is not good. I am not sure how I need to route it over to the drywall and into the hallway where it will drawal. I am thinking that I need a box like plenium with cutout to the wall? The return is approximatel;y 14x14. If I place it over to the wall which is a very very close distance, do I need the wall vent to be the same size? Finally is the location for the new vent close to the floor or to the ceiling? I want to make it look as good as possible because this is a mail hallway leading to the dining room. Thanks for your options.

Comments (11)