SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kellyclearfork

Built-in Options for Dining Space

Kelly Nelson
last year
last modified: last year

Hello,

Working on our new home and I'm perplexed everywhere I turn! I've never lived in an open floor plan with so few walls to put furnishings. Our dining area is very small, although it's part of the large great room. I'd like to have a place to store and display my china, but there are no walls left for furnishings. I have a sideboard ordered for the one wall long enough for furniture, replacing the one my husband has (sorry, love!), and above it is a very large painting, so I can't go "up."

My only option is to have built-ins on either side of this window, but I'm not sure it would look good. If I do, would it look better to build corner units or just shallow units on either side of the window? Without a ceiling and crown molding above, I don't know where to end them - even with the window frame or a bit lower - or build a connecting bridge across the top with lighted glass cabinets? I'm all over the place. I also want to replace the modern light fixture, which I think I can use downstairs in the bar/tv area. I'd like to replace his Stickley table, but he loves it and I love him, so I'm going to have to just make it work. Not that it's not lovely and well-made, just not my style.

Comments (6)