SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilona_dodd

cabinet & counter colors

Ilona Dodd
last year

We would like to have the cabinets painted a very pale grey, thinking about making the island cabinets a navy blue, probably change hardware. Also countertops, not sure about granite, etc. open for any ideas, thanks!

Comments (28)

• sheloveslayouts
    last year
    last modified: last year

Unless you recall loving gray interiors in the early 2000s (before the gray trend was in full force and during the brown/Tuscan trend), i would not recommend painting cabinets gray.

Wood cabinets appear to be increasingly popular and you might regret the paint in a few years.

edited after a closer look: The best bang for your buck here would be a new light cream counter and backsplash.

• ffpalms
    last year

I agree with sheloveslayouts that a new counter and backsplash would be the best investment for your kitchen. That said, if you have your heart set on painting, here’s a color study on grays and dark blue. My favotie picks are BM Edgecomb Gray and Old Navy,

• Related Discussions

Help with Paint Colors!

Q

Comments (1)
    If you don't get responses here, you may want to post this on the Home Decorating forum.
    ...See More

Mixing cabinet and counter colors?

Q

Comments (1)
    I don't see anything wrong with doing what you are proposing. Maybe, just to set that hutch area off a bit more, you could get some brackets installed on either side underneath the uppers? Would you use glass in the doors of the hutch, too?
    ...See More

Layout Help and Color Opinions, please?

Q

Comments (6)
    Thanks for the comments!! That opening will still be there, open to a family room addition. I like the opening but we can't make it any bigger. That wall wouldn't be big enough for sink and DW I don't think (unless we changed to an L??) so we'd still be left with the DW somewhere that it either blocks cabinets or you get stuck behind it when its open. I'm hoping that by removing the cabinets under the opening it will make it feel even more connected since we can get closer to the opening if that makes sense. I wasn't sure about moving the stove at first since its not on an exterior wall but both the kitchen designer and contractor I talked to said it isn't an issue and is even somewhat preferred in our cold climate to avoid chilly air around the microwave which I know I've experienced in the past. I too have heard about hoods being better but I'm not doing major frying often at all and the OTR microwave was replaced in the last few months so I'm planning to keep it. The KD opted to move the stove to get it away from the traffic flow in front of the refrigerator. I wasn't sure at first but now I really love the idea.
    ...See More

Latest color for Cabinets and countertops

Q

Comments (38)
    ntehero, I think there are some regional considerations. I am from northern Ohio, and I expect white cabinets to be popular for some time as we are not ahead of the curve as far as design goes, and most homeowners here are quite traditional. I do think stained cabinets will make a come back, as everything eventually does. However, I still see the lighter painted cabinets - including white, that are done in a clean, non-fussy door style staying relevant for some time. You cannot go wrong with a white inset cabinet in my opinion. I think we will be seeing more mid century modern trends in the future also. In my area, if your kitchen is outdated your house sits on the market, so I am a bit shocked by those who say an awful outdated kitchen will not bring you anything back in return- where I am it most certainly makes a difference. If that is your main concern, I suggest you speak with a good realtor, one who sells homes in your neighborhood.
    ...See More
  • ram123
    last year

My opinion, just a new counter, backsplash and handles

• M Miller
    last year

Gray cabinets won't go with your floors. Also, your cabinets are heavily grained, and that grain will show through the paint. The problems in your kitchen are the counter and backsplash, not the cabinets. I'd leave the cabinets as is, and install new counters and backsplash.

Because your floor is patterned, your counters need to be quiet. They are a quiet finish now, just not current. I suggest you look at Quartz with little or no pattern, or, for a less expensive option, look at laminate counters. Laminate counters today are not the laminate counters of 30 years ago. Once you decide on counters, then decide on backsplash. Don't decide on backsplash too early, you will make a mistake. Choose counters first.

If you are changing the counters, also think about a single bowl sink and new faucet, but those are not necessary, just a suggestion.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

Cut the island down to all one level and if you must then do new counters I would not paint those cabinets unless you are planning for the $$$$$ to have them dome by a pro. I agree a nice large single bowl deep sink and a new faucet, a new backsplash will be needed for sure and get that light fixed before choosing anything. An electrician can give you some pot lights and also a couple of pendants over the island . All tnat lighting can be on one curcuit if you use all LED bulbs in 4000K that kitchen will awesome without painting the cabinets. I happen to love gray but not gray cabinets. A nice counter deth fridge would not be bad either . New knobs and be done.

• ffpalms
    last year

Here are a couple of suggestions for backsplash and countertops. I think the cream color sheloveslayouts mentioned would look exellent with your current cabinet color. Two years ago I switched from a double sink to a single and it made a huge impact on the ease of cleaning up. I highly reccomend a single basin sink.

• Mark Brunner
    last year

I vote for removing the backsplash, new countertop and new hardware.

• Valinta
    last year

And painting the island a warm color to work with warm tones of cabinets and floor. No to gray.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    last year

What is your budget? What does the rest of your house look like?

The cabinets appear to be in good shape an work well with the flooring.

What is standing out to me that does not work is the backsplash.

I recommend

1) Change counters

2) Change backsplash

3) Cut island down to one level. You might consider a straight island...depends on the configuration of surrounding areas.

Do not paint the cabinets unless you really want to pay for a professional job.

Do not paint the island a different color from the main cabinets. To me, this is only done in a very large kitchen where there is a need to break up the monotony. Not only is it not appropriate for this space, it will have a huge "early 2020's" time stamp on it.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    last year

New backsplash absolutely, new countertops to include making the island one level, and new hardware.

• Ilona Dodd
    Original Author
    last year

Well, first of all I very much like my backsplash & have no intention of changing it, second I do agree the counters need to be updated & third I would love to level the island down to a more functional space but there would be quite an expense to achieve this, thanks for your input.

• Ilona Dodd
    Original Author
    last year

It is hard to see but the flooring does have shades of gray, black, taupe & brown.

• joycedjay
    last year

No one has mentioned that your wall color and trim do not work at all with your floor. Before selecting new counters/backsplash, you need to resolve that issue. Either repaint the walls or replace the floors. I don’t know how committed you are to gray - just know it’s already dated. Get a plan before you start doing anything. The counters and backsplash, sink and hardware should be changed after you know the plan. Do you like the separation between the kitchen and the other areas? If so, don’t drop that wall. But if you are okay with the kitchen being more open, then drop the wall.

• Ilona Dodd
    Original Author
    last year

I will not be changing the gray wall color, it’s only about 4 years old, I love it & these colors were picked by a professional designer. Going to one level on the island is a great idea but there will be quite an expense. If I were to paint the cabinets what color besides gray would work best? And for the counters, besides cream I don’t like cream colors? And how about the floors, what color?

• njmomma
    last year

It obvious that we are not seeing the colors you are seeing in you kitchen like you are. Maybe hiring the designer that you previously use, would be your best investment.

• sheloveslayouts
    last year

@njmomma has the best suggestion… rehire your designer.

• Jennifer Hogan
    last year

It is always best to pick a whole home color scheme and style before you start doing improvements.

I understand that you love everything you selected, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they work well together.

The gray walls are okay with the floors. Kind of works with the black chairs and wood table and it is fine with your current cabinets.

You may love your backsplash, and I understand why you love your backsplash. Looking at the mosaic backsplashes they are pretty, but the tiny patterns really only work when you have a very clean and simple space. You have too much going on and even have two backsplashes. (the 4 inch backsplash topped by the mosaic backsplash).

Busy Backsplash - simple space

Your space with a single , simpler backsplash, only to the bottom of the cupboards and a simple countertop.

or your current space?

Here is your space with light gray cabinets and a white counter. The backsplash is even a bigger sore thumb than before.

• herbflavor
    last year

even tho it s basically an open kitchen to the living zone it has a "tucked away" sense about it...the higher back on the island maintains a bit of separation....just enough . i like the warmer oak......the counters/ backsplash dont bother me that much as there isnt so much of it....... the oak cabinets are the biggest feature ......It would be a shame to paint the oak as it gives the potential for a cute cozy kitchen . I would get three of these schoolhouse style fixtures .....or something similar......not sure which is the best size...one over the sink...one for the central part of the room and maybe one that drops a bit above the small island. I'd change the hardware on the cabinets . You like the gray walls...so leave them. Why do you want painted cabinets.. why spend to change floor and change counters??

Kitchen · More Info

I dont think there's a need. Spend on some great light fixtures and make a theme.....the schoolhouse are cozy looking like your space can be.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

everyone on here is trying to tell you what will work, but you're not going along.

you shouldn't use a 'gray' paint color because your flooring and backsplash are not gray. they are warmer yellow/brown colors.

here's a gray. do you think this works w/your floor? it doesn't.

Here are 3 other gray colors. they don't work either. the warmer tones on the left will.

You say you don't like cream, but you have to work w/that tile and that floor. or you could go w/the really dark tones in the floor/tile.

you could try a taupe gray, something like this

this one might work with a solid white countertop

but I think a warmer white would look better.

I wish you wouldn't have done the tile splash on top of the 4" countertop piece. do you have any more tile leftover?

when you get the new counter, it would be better if you took the tile down to the countertop.

So what are the plans for the counter? Granite is out of the question with that backsplash and flooring. way too busy looking

You'll have to pick a quartz in a solid color. (you put the cart before the horse and chose the backsplash and flooring. They are now driving this design bus)

Cesarstone Raw Concrete

Cesarstone concrete are the lower left. I like the Perla White. two other quartz options are fossil brown and Stellar Snow

You need to pick a countertop first before you pick a cab color. much easier to match paint colors.

The backsplash is really overwhelming. You say you like it and it's not changing, so you'll have to let that one be the star and pick colors that work w/it AND the floor. if you wanted to change the flooring, great, but that will have to be done before anything else.

I'd also get a diff light over the sink and some new hardware. pulls, not knobs. you have tall cabs that could handle the pulls.

Koofizo 5", Amazon comes in all colors

You don't like this creamy white ? new light? woven wood blinds?

top is similar to alabaster or Simply white, bottom I used from this one

redoing the backsplash is an option and you can keep the oak cabs. just refresh the finish, new hardware

• RedRyder
    last year

Warm whites will work with your backsplash and floors. I agree that your former designer will be in the space with you, which will be better for selecting colors.

There are too many whites that you can paint the cabinets, so getting help from someone you know and trust should be asked this question.

• Louise Smith
    last year

Are you suggesting that you want to have gray cabinets with your gray walls? Really? No. Follow the suggestions above about leaving the cabinets and changing the backsplash and countertops.

• Ilona Dodd
    Original Author
    last year

Ok I very much like the wooden blinds & new light above the sink, along with the solid concrete counters. I am understanding the warmer colors do look better with the tile & less busy, thanks. Keep the ideas coming, pictures help a lot.

• J Mig
    last year

Ilona, This is one of those Houzz threads that just cracks me up. I think this is always the risk. You get your kitchen totally redesigned for you for free by a group of strangers, but they will absolutely tell you everything that they don’t like about it. And everyone’s taste can vary significantly.

I think that you should go for what you like, and not necessarily what everyone else is telling you you should go for, especially because they may not know your budget. It is not simple and easy to replace countertops unless you have a large budget. And on Houzz, a large budget can be a very, very large budget.

To me, if you love a paint color or you love your floor, etc. then that is lovely - because it works for you.

Also, here is some thing I learned on Pinterest, while remodeling my bathrooms and a laundry room You can get really great deals on pulls and knobs for cabinets on eBay. It’s worth exploring just to see if you can get a good price.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

J Mig...

We would like to have the cabinets painted a very pale grey, thinking about making the island cabinets a navy blue, probably change hardware. Also countertops,

She is literally asking a group of strangers for free advice on paint color, countertop choice, the island, etc.

Should people just ignore what they know won't work or won't look right? How is that benefitting the person asking for advice? No one is being rude. They're being truthful and attempting to try and prevent her from compounding certain design errors.

she wanted gray. there is no one giving advice that says 'gray' would be the perfect choice for your kitchen! Actually the opposite. Gray, unless it's a specific griege/taupe gray, would be a horrible choice for her floor and tile. But you would rather we refrain from telling her what a mistake that would be? A lot of people have a difficult time understanding colors and undertones. What they think would work actually doesn't. That's why she's asking for help.

Going forward w/a paint color before choosing the countertop? Do you think it's easier to match countertops to paint or vice versa?

One doesn't need a Large budget to replace countertops. I often advise people to look at pre-fabs. you can find a 9' pre-fab for less than 500. hire a fabricator to cut it at your house for another 800 or so. (a lot of this depends on where you are located)

anyone who wants to change out their countertops is obviously aware it's going to be a few thousand or more (unless they want wood or formica)

The pulls I suggested on amazon are not expensive. contractors pack is probably $50 or so. If one really wants a deal on hardware, go to AliExpress. Amazing savings on that site.

I've ordered many pulls from this site and can confirm they the same as what sells on amazon, or home depot, or high end kitchen places.

ebay can't touch these prices.

for example, these are less than $2 each (some have free shipping, some charge $2)

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255800942194594.html

these? less than a dollar each

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255799838387320.html

even these w/a shell center, $2.50.

It's the same stuff you buy here, you're just cutting out the middleman and ordering direct from China

• coray
    last year

Beth is right…..you ask a bunch of people for advice, you’ll get it. You don’t like their advice? Don’t listen, just do you own thing….or go back to designer #1. Not trying to be mean, but the backsplash………no. I also don’t think the cool gray paint works (definitely don’t add more of it on the cabs, or a different beige or gray that will then add more clash with everything else!), but the OP has stated she likes both of these elements, so: I think the OP should follow her own heart….not much can be done here, unfortunately. And yes: redoing, even updating, a kitchen does cost money, in most cases quite a bit….a new countertop and some paint will not fix this, sorry.

• Jennifer Hogan
    last year

@ J Mig - Do you think it would be kind to tell the OP what she wants to hear even if our life experience and design experience says what she is proposing will look awful?

• blfenton
    last year

A friend of mine did the same thing, updated" her kitchen with the same tile and she had the same orangey oak cabinets. Fortunately she did recognize how hideous it looked. She and her DH wound up restaining all the cabinets to match the damn tile. They did it themselves as they couldn't afford to have it done and it took them months. Then, to complete the look they had to repaint and replace the counter. It looked fine afterwards but there was a lot of heartache involved in recognizing her mistake.

• Fori
    last year

Random thoughts...

1. I think you might have trouble replacing the counter without messing up the backsplash.

2. I like the look of oak grain showing through paint. It doesn't have to be filled ($$) unless you really don't like it. And at that point getting new doors in an easier-to-paint material might be cheaper.

3. When replacing counters, it's usually not that expensive to make a counter one level. The outlets would have to be relocated but it's not a big deal. I like the little bit of separation you have with the two tiers, though, and I would leave it. But if you don't like it, don't assume it's too much!