SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_wi

Layout Help and Color Opinions, please?

lisa_wi
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

I've lurked for years and learned so much as we planned our kitchen in our new construction four years ago. But we've moved on. One year ago we moved to a 1929 house as we downsized so that I could stay at home with our three kids. Since then I've painted just about everything that is paintable, we've replaced carpeting, and done some other minor projects. Now its on to the kitchen!

Here's a photo of the current space - its 9x12 and was redone about 8 years ago.

What I don't like - the cabinets, countertop colors, and the corners. The fridge backs up to a large entry closet so our plan is to push it into part of that closet and change the layout to a galley. I've been working with a designer at Cliq Studios and I wanted to pass our current plan by you. First off - the colors. The colors we are using in the house are a butter yellow with accents of deep olive green, and barn red. I want a creamy kitchen but the designer suggested adding in some green (their tea leaf) cabinets as well. We've got two options - all green on the bottom with creamy (painted linen) on the top or a green sink base and green cabinets above the stove with everything else creamy. My style in general is kind of a relaxed classic style. I want a beautiful kitchen that isn't fussy and is appropriate for the home.

On to the layout - my designer suggested moving the stove to the opposite wall and I love it! Here's the current plan - upper cabs are 42" (we've only got 30" now!!) -

We were going to put spice drawers to the left of the DW to keep coffee and tea in but its just too expensive so I think that is going away. She also changed the sink base in this design which pushed it off center from the window so that will shift back as well. The refrigerator is recessed to the right with wine storage above and to the right of the stove we are thinking about having a 24" counter extension for seating for the kids to do homework, have a snack etc. We have a dining room nearby where we currently eat all our meals.

Questions - I LOVE DRAWERS. I wanted a narrow cabinet in the sink run (on the far right) for cutting boards but after seeing some awesome drawers with dividers for baking sheets, etc. I'm thinking about getting rid of that cabinet and having all drawers - I should be able to go to a 30" and 27". I'm thinking the left bank of drawers will have silverware in the top then probably linens and serving pieces below. The right bank will having baking items - canisters, mixing bowls, etc. Does it matter which size is in each? Is there any case where you would go with three smaller banks vs. two larger banks?

To the right of the stove I've got 12". Should I make that all drawers? A pullout?

Other thoughts/opinions on layout?

As far as color - the photos above show the all green base option. Here it is with the green sink and stove cabs - this seems a little stuffier to me??

The green is a little off in the renderings - here's a photo of our colors together - the ones on the right are (top to bottom) our olive green paint, the tea leaf cabinet, and the linen cabinet. Our floors are natural maple.

Thanks in advance!!!

Lisa

Comments (6)